Hardware help me

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
My Corsair one i164 is acting very strange I am getting alot of bsod and when it restart it goes to the motherboard bios and it doesnt see the ssd where I installed windows so I shut it down and turn it back and it goes to the bios again However sometimes it boots to windows like noting happened.

is the ssd dying or is it due to windows updates again lol?

unfortunately it is very diffecult to replace the 960GB M.2 NVMe SSD of this PC.

one i164 uses MSI motherboard Corsair and MSI have different bios updates for the same board but the corsair one is very outdated so can I use MSI bios updates for it?

Last edited by MohammedQ8,
Reactions: Alexander1970

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If the bios isnt seeing the SSD its not Windows update failing. First check (and even try to replace) the SSD cables, second, try to replace the SSD and try it with a different one. If that doesnt work, issue is more grave.

And nooo, dont mix Bios vendors on firmwares for motherboards. Veeeery bad luck charm.. ;) ONLY _EVER_ do that if you've confirmed with strange russian online forums, that flashing a (usually modified) bios from another vendor is confirmed working. As in - thats sometimes used to get additional features or performance out of chinese clones (There is an entire scene around rewriting motherboard firmwares, to get cheaper CPUs overclockable. :) ), never EVER on standard motherboards any normal US vendor would sell.

Last edited by notimp,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
He's using an M.2 guys, there are no cables. It's also a Corsair One (which is a SFF pre-built), and getting to the M.2 is going to require removing the entire GPU assembly which is a big pain in the ass. Perhaps reading the OP might be useful if you're going to try and help ;)

As noted, Windows update doesn't touch your BIOS, so that definitely isn't what caused it if it's not showing up/showing up intermittently. If you're not confident enough in your ability to take the thing apart, your best bet would be to contact Corsair and try and get warranty support. The only real way to test and check is to remove the M.2 and try something else, but if you don't feel you're up to removing the GPU assembly to get at it then you really might as well just send it off to get it fixed. Intermittent connection like that makes me think either the controller on the M.2 is dying, or Corsair didn't insert the M.2 all the way into the slot/didn't screw it down enough to ensure a stable connection.

You could also try booting into a live Linux USB and use something like smartctl to check the drive's health to confirm whether it's dead/dying or not.

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
It didn’t crash today and I downloaded Samsung magician software because the ssd is from them and it shows that the ssd temp is 60-62 which high.

The store that I bought it from said on instagram if you want to fix it or replace it contact us which I didn’t yet but how could they replace my one year old pc lol ….. I wish they give my money back because the most important ssd is not easy to upgrade. I didn’t know until now.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
60-62F can be high for an SSD, but it's not failure rate high. Consumer SSDs will run just fine up to about 70C-75C, at which point they would then throttle down to cool off, not outright fail.

Something else is the issue, not your temps. If you're not happy with it, then return it, but it's likely something that could be easily fixed by under warranty services.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
What Tom Bombadildo said.

Also as already stated in here as well, if there is still warranty on it - definitely go that route first.

If its a M.2 SSD, most likely points of failure now become "wrongly installed" (so maybe without the standoff and under stress), or the SSD simply giving out.

Nothing Samsung Magician could do, would fix it at this point (if it disconnects from the system at random times, dont even try any firmware update Magician might, or might not suggest, imho).

This is all warranty, vendor, or manufacturer stuff (most likely) at this point.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb