Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was very young (somewhere between 1989 and 1994) friend of mine who had an access to western toys (we grew up in Poland) such as Star Wars, Batman etc had a Gradius look like a space pod toy.
It was black and white, about three inches long, and had buttons to open windshield (I think). On the bottom there was another switch, that opened landing gear with magnet between it (that I remember for sure)
I have no idea what it was. I spent a few minutes with holding it in my hands, so I was able to do a drawing.
Most likely, the thing was from US, UK or France, perhaps part of a bigger set.
Anyone remembers something like that?

z0yIKoh.jpg

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Thank You Veho. That is it. It is a Starcom Starwaolf ship!The one I was playing with had some piceses missing (wings and front)
Now I need to get one :)

RNG0bUV.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The most unusual aspect of the Starcom toy line was its use of Magna Lock technology. The action figures had tiny magnets implanted in their feet. Not only did this allow them to stand on the vehicles and playsets without falling off, but it also activated devices in the playsets. For instance, if one placed a figure in the elevator of the Starbase Station playset, its Magna Lock magnets would cause the elevator to rise to the top by itself. On the same playset, if one put a figure within a cannon, the Magna Lock magnets would activate a mechanism that made it turn and fire its rockets.
The vehicles and playsets also delivered Power Deploy features, which uses automatic wind up mechanisms that allows them to perform multiple actions all in a touch of a button, without the use of batteries. For example, with the touch of a button, the Starcom StarWolf unfolds its front, and both its wings. All in all, they offered plenty of moving parts (hidden compartments, cannons, folding wings, etc.). Starcom toys never caught on in the U.S. due to poor promotion and the fact that its parent show only lasted a year in syndication. They were discontinued after two years but ended up doing very well in Europe, where both the show and the toys continued to be popular long after the American toys. The toys were successful and hugely popular in Europe and Southeast Asia only after coming under the production and promotion of Mattel. That company removed the US flag and NASA details from the Coleco originals and launched the toys with a second line of promotions in the early 1990s.

Reactions: omgpwn666

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show