Help me decide on a netbook

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MarioBrotha, Feb 27, 2009.

Feb 27, 2009
  1. MarioBrotha
    OP

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    After researchin, I either want the Acer Aspire One or the Asus EEE 901. I have no idea which one to pick, since they are both excellent value for their money. I love the 160GB hard drive on the AAO, but I also love the 8 hour ADVERTISED battery life on the Asus.

So wich one is better?

2. Tozarian

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Do what tastes right

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  4. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I personally find the AAO and the Eee to be almost impossible to type on. I don't have big hands either. If I were buying a netbook right now, I'd probably go for the HP Mini 1000. It's roughly the same size as other netbooks (even smaller than a few), and yet it's got a 90% keyboard as opposed to the AAO and Eee's 80% keyboard. If I did have to pick between the two though, I'd probably go with the Eee PC. There's a large moding/hacking community behind it and so you'll probably find a lot of fun projects to do with it.

5. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Well, actually I went to a mall and there was an Acer aspire so you could try it out. I had no problems typing, so thats not a problem for me.

6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Well I have both, and personally I like my Acer One a lot more, I just find it sexier, and the big HDD is a big bonus as are the two SD card slots! [​IMG]

7. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    or get the 1000HE...this one has a macbook style keyboard and a 8700 mAh battery + the N280 Processor (not the N270 as the other Netbooks)

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The Acer is a 10" laptop with a 9" screen. The one I linked to is just slightly smaller than the ASUS 901

Oh yeah, I second the 1000HE. It's closed in size to the AAO, but has a 10" screen and better battery life than any netbooks mentioned so far.

9. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The EEE 901 doesn't really get 8 hours, it gets 4-5 on a 6-cell battery (have they made a bigger battery?), which is still a lot for a laptop. I know, I have one.

10. Raki

Germany
    Well afaik the T91 gets the Z(addsomenumberhere

11. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got the Acer Aspire One for Christmas and I freaking love it. I can type fast with no problems. Came with Windows XP. Can't play many games but thats probably not the reason you're getting it. It does play some. I can play World of Goo no problem. I also heard you can play WoW on it but I never tried.

The main reason I picked it is because it has a great community behind it. There are so many mods out there (replace screen with touchscreen, ram upgrades, built in cellular wireless card) this thing can be made to do anything.

I can get about 5 hours only browsing the web (no videos, games) or typing word/excel documents.

Anyway thats just my opinion. I spent about a month researching these things. I suggest you do the same, find out what will work best for you.

The new Sony one looks sweet but a lot more expensive.

12. Raki

Germany
    + it has a crazy resolution...way too big for a 8" screen
    also it has just the Z(addanumberhere

13. Drift Monkey

Newcomer Drift Monkey Advanced Member

United States
    I love my Lenovo S10...dual booting OSX and XP...couldn't ask for more out of a netbook.

14. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Ok, so now it looks like I should wait a bit to get a better laptop, or get either the AcerAspire or the 1000HE (I can't find the Asus 901 anywhere) which I don't know much about. How about price? which one is more expensive? I can only spend about $400

Edit: so it's around $400, which is ok I guess, and the only differences are the 1.66GHz proccesor and the 6-cell battery. Does upgrading from 1.60GHz to 1.66GHz make that much of a difference?
    And also, I don't plan on going on extremely long trips away from a power supply, so I could do with the Acer's battery.

Mainly, I don't like that much the $50 bump between prices. (I'm pretty cheap [​IMG] )

15. Raki

Germany
    It isn't just 0,06 GHz more...the front side bus is raised from 533 to 667 MHz as well
    And trust me you will regret getting a 3 cell netbook...

16. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Just to reply to a previous post, I play WoW on my Acer Aspire One, as well as Call of Duty 1, Medal of Honor, Spore, Stepmania, Unreal Tournament 2003. Just yesterday on a consumer-program on the tele over here there was a piece about Asus netbooks. They had complaints of failing batteries and batteries draining whilst powered off.

I

17. Raki

Germany

18. gibberish

Member gibberish GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    the best current netbook on the market is the samsung nc10. and that isnt a mindless fanboy comment, since i have an acer aspire one. most high end netbooks (except for the asus eeepc's) share almost identical specifications and so the only choice you're left with is "who makes the most reliable hardware". and that, imo, is samsung. acer are cheap chinese crap, i knew it before i got my aspire one (but i didnt have a choice really) and my opinion has been validated since owning it. its a cheap piece of crap, get the samsung.

19. AGENT209T

Newcomer AGENT209T Member

United States
    agreed but i dont know about the sexy part lol and the built in camera is nice but i dont like the touchpad (but then again i never really like them so i picked up a mini mouse)
    but its for great for me doing little side stuff here or out and about and not being at my desk
    i do wonder if they have a car charger ill need to check on that later

20. Raki

Germany
    erm...why shouldn't eeePCs share the same hardware?

Just the old EeePCs 701/900 (ok and that crap of 1000HD and 904HD) have the celeron...and the 1000HE has theN280 which is better than the N270...

I would declare the 1000HE as the best Netbook atm because of the better Processor and the 8700 mAh battery which even outlasts the NC10