Help me decide my next purchase!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by john.jingle, Dec 21, 2008.

Dec 21, 2008
  1. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can't decide which one to buy. I just heard that the iPods can emulate games so I don't know much about it yet but I'm still considering it. I mostly want to play PSX, GBA and SNES games well. PSP have an added bonus of playing PSP games unlike the Pandora and iPod but I guess they have their own little quirks too.

PSP
    Pros:
    Emulates PSX and before really well.
    Can play PSP games
    Very active homebrew scene
    Cons:
    Most of the easy to emulate PSPs are the older versions, I do not trust buying USED PSPs.
    Newer firmwares will always mess with your homebrew
    Some SNES have slight framerate issues
    Expensive Memory Sticks

Pandora
    Pros:
    Very powerful system
    Uses SD(HC?) cards, very cheap
    Can possibly be used other than for gaming
    Cons:
    Very expensive
    Infantile homebrew scene. It will grow but will it be able to emulate PSX games well?

iPod Touch/iPhone
    Pros:
    No button problems, all touch screen
    MP3 player/Phone
    Cons:
    Expensive
    No buttons...

2. CyberFish

Member CyberFish GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The iPhone/iPod touch can emulate decently, but the screen is kind of a PITA to use when playing games.

Since you initially said PSX games, Id go with a PSP. I still need to get mine modifed as well. Ive owend 2 PSPs and I bought them used. Id go to a gamestop and check the systems they have. I gave all of them a once over and took the best one they had.

I dont have any experience with Pandora, so I cant comment on that.

3. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was looking at and waiting for the Pandora too, but decided to get a PSP instead. I really have high hopes for Pandora, but the main thing I want either one for is wireless internet. I can't imagine using the Pandora for regular computer functions even though it is capable.. it's just too small. As for emulation, anything is possible up to PSX (maybe N64), but really, I don't want to play all those games again. It's nice to have a few s/nes favorites on hand though. I'd say get a PSP, it can emulate s/nes and psx games, PLUS the whole library of PSP games, plus a well developed homebrew scene.
    I'm not going to even mention iphone/itouch because I personally dislike apple products, and playing any game with buttons on a touch screen would be infuriating. Peace, good luck deciding.

4. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    P-A-N-D-O-R-A!

5. Odanhammer

Newcomer Odanhammer Member

Canada
    If you wanna wait a while , get a Pandora , it will eventually beat out the others , but right now , it ain't doing much , and for all you know , it might go dead in the water if something happens.

PSP , i would get first choice right now , its got great support for CFW , and plays everything you want , a few PSX games don't work as well , but its not a huge problem.

itouch, i wouldn't even touch .