Help me decide my next purchase!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by john.jingle, Dec 21, 2008.

1. john.jingle
    OP

john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    I can't decide which one to buy. I just heard that the iPods can emulate games so I don't know much about it yet but I'm still considering it. I mostly want to play PSX, GBA and SNES games well. PSP have an added bonus of playing PSP games unlike the Pandora and iPod but I guess they have their own little quirks too.

PSP
    Pros:
    Emulates PSX and before really well.
    Can play PSP games
    Very active homebrew scene
    Cons:
    Most of the easy to emulate PSPs are the older versions, I do not trust buying USED PSPs.
    Newer firmwares will always mess with your homebrew
    Some SNES have slight framerate issues
    Expensive Memory Sticks

Pandora
    Pros:
    Very powerful system
    Uses SD(HC?) cards, very cheap
    Can possibly be used other than for gaming
    Cons:
    Very expensive
    Infantile homebrew scene. It will grow but will it be able to emulate PSX games well?

iPod Touch/iPhone
    Pros:
    No button problems, all touch screen
    MP3 player/Phone
    Cons:
    Expensive
    No buttons...

2. CyberFish

CyberFish GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    The iPhone/iPod touch can emulate decently, but the screen is kind of a PITA to use when playing games.

Since you initially said PSX games, Id go with a PSP. I still need to get mine modifed as well. Ive owend 2 PSPs and I bought them used. Id go to a gamestop and check the systems they have. I gave all of them a once over and took the best one they had.

I dont have any experience with Pandora, so I cant comment on that.

3. blueskies

blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2003
    United States
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I was looking at and waiting for the Pandora too, but decided to get a PSP instead. I really have high hopes for Pandora, but the main thing I want either one for is wireless internet. I can't imagine using the Pandora for regular computer functions even though it is capable.. it's just too small. As for emulation, anything is possible up to PSX (maybe N64), but really, I don't want to play all those games again. It's nice to have a few s/nes favorites on hand though. I'd say get a PSP, it can emulate s/nes and psx games, PLUS the whole library of PSP games, plus a well developed homebrew scene.
    I'm not going to even mention iphone/itouch because I personally dislike apple products, and playing any game with buttons on a touch screen would be infuriating. Peace, good luck deciding.

4. agentgamma

agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Oct 5, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    P-A-N-D-O-R-A!

5. Odanhammer

Odanhammer Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2007
    Canada
    If you wanna wait a while , get a Pandora , it will eventually beat out the others , but right now , it ain't doing much , and for all you know , it might go dead in the water if something happens.

PSP , i would get first choice right now , its got great support for CFW , and plays everything you want , a few PSX games don't work as well , but its not a huge problem.

itouch, i wouldn't even touch .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice