Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put together a PC in order to play Final Fantasy 14 when it comes out (and of course Starcraft 2!).

Here are the requirements:

Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0ghz) or AMD Athlon X2 (2.0 ghz)
1.5GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 (512 RAM) or ATI Radeon HD 2900 (512 RAM)

I've started looking around but love to see what people here think and can probably get some good ideas from my friends here.

I'm looking to spend no more than $400. Maybe $500 if it has to be so!

Let me know what you think guys, thanks!

(I'll post anything I find too.)

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the hardest thing I have looking through is video cards. I never know what to get. :

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ok, I'll first start with the CustomPC budget build (copied out of the magazine) then give some general advice.

Budget PC, £522.53 inc VAT (I know, way over your budget, but this is for ideas)

Case: SilverStone PS02B Precision (£38.66)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H (£80.37)
CPU: Intel Pentium G6950, 2.8x2Ghz (£74.78 - very cheap and incredibly overclockable)
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS PC3-10666 (£100)
GFX: Gigabyte HD 5770 1GB (£131.59)
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 (£16.32 - quieter and much more efficient than Intel stock)
PSU: Corsair CX400W (£34.55)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 320GB (£34.56 - 1TB is around £45, 1.5TB around £55 and 2TB around £88)
DVD: Samsung SH-D162D (£11.70 - might aswell get a DVD-RW for £4 extra)

Now obviously you can make a couple adjustments to the above build to shave off some costs. Again, this is for ideas, and this is the best build they recommend for price:Performance value.

If you want to save money, look for a motherboard with built in graphics. They'll suck, but they should still come above the minimum specs. You could try the Intel GMA that comes with Core i3/i5 but I don't know if SC2 and FF14 will support it. Possibly, but possibly not. At least it can play Borderlands... Anyway, by getting an IGP with the motherboard/CPU, it saves you money which you can save up until you have enough to get the GFX card of your dreams. Preferably HD 5770 minimum, although you'll still be fine with a HD 5670. I've not mentioned nVidia because they simply haven't made GPUs that can compete with ATI since the GeForce 9800 (which shared architecture with the next 2 generations of nVidia GPUs). They might have the edge in the laptop market with Optimus/330M, but in desktops ATI are simply better these days.

For the CPU, you could go with an AMD CPU like the PhenomII X2 (don't bother with the X4/6 - you don't need the extra cores). I just find as a rule of thumb - AMD are 15-40% weaker compared to equivolently priced Intel CPUs.

For the PSU, you should be looking at the 400-500W range. And whatever PSU you pick, make sure it's from a good brand like Corsair or OCZ. Non-branded PSUs are electrical and fire hazards (and what would you expect for 1/3 of the price?).

HDD: Obviously you should only get as much as you need. I've got 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 in my computer and I'm practically out of space (shows how much music/games/anime I've got...). If you're more careful, 320GB will be fine (games rarely take more than 10GB anyway). In any case, they're cheap, and you can always get more as and when you need it - it'll even get cheaper/bigger by then!

RAM: 2GB minimum. 4GB maximum. Get Kingston, Corsair or OCZ. Most others aren't worth mentioning.

Windows: Not included in the price. I recommend getting a legit copy, but as a former student I know how helpful it can be to find other means of obtaining Windows to save yourself £90+ which can be better spent on a good GPU.

...Did I forget anything?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The following guide may give you some idea on what parts to look into. It lists low, medium and high end pc parts for gaming. It was written about a month ago, so it's not too much out of date.

Here

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
According to CustomPC, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the best HDD without paying over double to get that 10,000 rpm malarky, and even then the performance gap isn't that big (certainly not worth the premium in price). And it's cheap - £45 for 1TB, as I said before. You can also get a Spinpoint F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB for £55 too, which is only 5,400rpm, a lil slower but very good value.

I'll leave it to someone else to find NewEgg links for the F2 and their prices in $.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I'm not THAT much of an RTS fan, I like the ones that aren't so micro-managey.
I used to play Starcraft 1 at LAN parties with my friends, and now have friends with Starcraft 2.

But mainly I want something more up to date than my old one that can play Final Fantasy 14.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
You should get a Compaq Presario Desktop.
They cost $587AUD where i live but probs about $470 in American Moneyz.
And it has 2.8GHz 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD.
So that would be a good consideration.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
FireGrey said:
You should get a Compaq Presario Desktop.
They cost $587AUD where i live but probs about $470 in American Moneyz.
And it has 2.8GHz 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD.
So that would be a good consideration.
Don't. Too expensive for what you get.
QUOTE(Devante @ Aug 12 2010, 01:26 PM) What do you guys think about this deal? http://fresno.craigslist.org/sys/1875835142.html
Don't do that either. New for that amount? Seriously, I can get that processor for 60 European bucks. It's not worth it.
Graphics card? The guy's really out of his mind. You can get a 5770 for $150 at Newegg.
Do us and your wallet a favor and don't buy from this guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
+1 to the Berthenk's post, on both points.
The Berthenk's post...? Okay... I love you too.
Anyway, if you're going to build your own computer, which I hope you will for you and your wallet, go for AMD. More bang for the buck.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you guys think about this setup? Mind you I'm not disregarding your suggestions, just want to know what you think.

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $60
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core - $77
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) - $82
Video card: XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $140
Power supply: SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $60
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $40

Total: $510 after taxes and shipping on Newegg.

Let me know what you think, or if I can cut some corners without losing too much performance.

Thanks!

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
you forgot an hdd..
also, I'd recommend upping the video card to a 5770 instead of a 5750 ..

Everything else *seems* good, but I dont know anything about amd so I'll let others confirm..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired