Hardware [HELP] Joy-con broken

TheKrane

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So this happened: My girlfriend accidentally dropped my switch down two stories.
Miraculously the switch is completely fine, but my left Joy-con seems broken. It actually worked for a couple of hours before dying completely, but would only connect through bluetooth, so my best guess is that the battery is broken.
I opened up the Joy-con to check what's wrong, but all the cables are still connected and it seems perfectly fine. I've attached a couple of pictures in the hope that somebody may find something that looks odd.
Does anybody have experience with Joy-con battery replacements and is it even worth it or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,
TheKrane

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_134903.jpg
    IMG_20180727_134903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20180727_134913.jpg
    IMG_20180727_134913.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20180727_134942.jpg
    IMG_20180727_134942.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20180727_134950.jpg
    IMG_20180727_134950.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20180727_135004.jpg
    IMG_20180727_135004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 215

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was working via bluetooth, then the battery is fine.

When you say "before dying completely", are you referring to the fact that the joycon no longer charges when connected to the Switch?

TheKrane

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe the rail on the switch side is busted and cable has come out, explain why u could connect via bluetooth but no longer charge

If I'm understanding you correctly that would mean that other joycons wouldn't work either, which is not the case. My other left joycon works without a problem.

If it was working via bluetooth, then the battery is fine.

When you say "before dying completely", are you referring to the fact that the joycon no longer charges when connected to the Switch?

The joycon no longer charges and it won't turn on either since the battery is most likely dead.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The joycon no longer charges and it won't turn on either since the battery is most likely dead.

Doesn't mean the battery is the issue. could be the rail that was damage and no longer workign. Did you check the pins on the Joycon and Rail first? I'd try that, if the rail is damaged, you'll either need to buy a replacement set online (10-15 bucks) or send it into Ninty if you're under warranty.

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I'm understanding you correctly that would mean that other joycons wouldn't work either, which is not the case. My other left joycon works without a problem.

Each joycon rail have different traces. I believe your right rail is damaged, look at the switchs right rail and see if you can see 10 copper contacts at the bottom and if they look damaged, if not its internal.

Rails are cheap to replace either way, but if its a urgent issue maybe look at a charge stand for your joycons.

Edit: sorry miss read that other joycons where working fine, pins on the joycon maybe? Tried swappy batterys with another joycon??

Last edited by CrAzYLiFe,

ExploitJunkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this happened: My girlfriend accidentally dropped my switch down two stories.
Miraculously the switch is completely fine, but my left Joy-con seems broken. It actually worked for a couple of hours before dying completely, but would only connect through bluetooth, so my best guess is that the battery is broken.
I opened up the Joy-con to check what's wrong, but all the cables are still connected and it seems perfectly fine. I've attached a couple of pictures in the hope that somebody may find something that looks odd.
Does anybody have experience with Joy-con battery replacements and is it even worth it or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,
TheKrane
If your feeling brave and have a tiny pair of soldering tweezers handy (something like this ). I would carefully and gently see if you can nudge the ribbon cable ,that's closest to the rumble pack and below the battery connector, to see if its possibly slightly loose from the shock of the fall. Also take note if that black clasp is fully held down. If I were you Id open the clasp and re seat it altogether just to make sure. That ribbon cable, if it were loose, would cause the battery not to charge, the other ribbon cable is for wireless sync.

SpiceDisUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile
I'm wondering how you're girlfriend dropped it two stories

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...