Help in hacking Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jason07, Apr 18, 2011.

Apr 18, 2011

Help in hacking Wii by Jason07 at 9:08 PM (2,844 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. Jason07
    OP

Newcomer Jason07 Newbie

Netherlands
    Hello,

I'm trying to softmod my wii after I download homebrew channel i have to download something else on my sd and then start homebrew press "home" and press "launch bootmii" (they say wad manager will start but at my screen is nothing else than black.. and it's frozen) i tryed many tutorials xd..
    this tutorial i use atm:

Deleting the IOS249 Stub

Nintendo did an update to stop people from softmodding their Wii’s, they knew that we used IOS249 to do so and installed a dummy stub on it. Now we need to remove it so we can install the custom IOS
    After copying the NAND back-up to your computer, go ahead and format the SD card with FAT32 again. You now need either the Uninstall IOS249_1.rar or UninstallIOS249_2.rar file. (Try number 1 first, then number 2. One of them will work.)
    Your SD card should now have the following in the root:
     Wad (folder)
     Bootmii (folder)
     Startup.elf
     Boot.dol
     00000001 (folder, if available)
    Put the SD card back in the Wii and turn it on. If Bootmii was installed as boot2, WadManager will start automatically. If it was installed as an IOS, start the Homebrew Channel, press ”Home” on your Wiimote and select “Launch Bootmii” to start WadManager.
    Once WadManager starts, select IOS36, SD card (Wii SD slot) and press A. Now select IOS249.wad from the Wad folder and press A. Change the selected action to “uninstall wad” and press A. Now the stub is gone and we can again use IOS249 for our custom IOS.

I tryed trucha bug restore, doesn't work also some errors..
    I tryed like almost everything..

i'm trying to play backup games my firmware is 4.2 E my SD has 4GB
    (I work offline)

if someone could help me, i would appreciate it.

Jason (netherlands)

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Use one of the stickied guides, like ModMii

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Agreed. Those (the ones you posted) are some crappy instructions.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    +2 on this. Sorry if this sounds rough, Jason, but surely you understand that we can't go check out every wii guide on the net. The ones here are stickied because they are tested, improved upon and generally give good results. If you want help with external sources, get that help from those external sources as well (they're the ones who made the thing, right?).

5. Jason07
    OP

Newcomer Jason07 Newbie

Netherlands
    Hii all,

Ill start telling my problems.
    my first problem is at "INSTALL WADS" from ModMii
    If I start MMM i get to "Load another IOS" because my IOS was on 58 so I changed it to 236 after that i have to go to WAD manager I choose Wii SD slot because i work offline it gives the error "Error mounting Device: SD" anyone know the problem? (if I restart MMM, it's again on IOS 58 and if I press on WAD I can see and download them but I can't download the cIOS files which I need for backup games I geuss..)

I would appreciate if someone could help me from msn/skype so I don't have to wait for the answers here.
    thank you.

Jason (4.2E IOS58 i geuss)

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    How about you stop changing the IOS, since you lose AHBPROT when you do that.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    That error message is what it says: that your SD card isn't recognized. Are you sure it's FAT32 formatted, has a SD:\wad (or SD:\wads...dunno from heart) folder with the wads in them (named correctly) and that the SD card is properly in the drive?

8. Jason07
    OP

Newcomer Jason07 Newbie

Netherlands
    Yes as I told u if i restart my wii and start mmm again it's on IOS58 and on this IOS I can download the WADs but not the cIOS wads so I don't get Error mounting device: SD so it's not the problem of the SD card.

9. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    sounds like you need to start over. reformat the sd card, as a fat32. an use dop mii an yawmm those are the best ones. dopmii has more punch then mmm (my option) yawmm is the best wad manager. same as dop mii, has more punch (again my option). [​IMG]

10. XFlak

Canada
    wow, given how many ppl have offered advise I would've expected some1 else to mention this... anyways, u should go back to the IOS236 Installer step of your ModMii guide and install that. Then during your install wads step u will be able to load IOS236. If it's not part of your guide, you should restart modmii and this time tell it your Wii is a virgin (even if its not).

@JoostinOnline, just an FYI, I am against ahbprot being used to mess with system menu's or system menu IOSs (including wad managers). So for that reason ahbprot is disabled in the version of MMM that ModMii downloads (it can be re-enabled by adding no_ios_reload to the meta.xml). However, ModMii instructs users to install a patched IOS236, and ModMii builds a mmmconfig file to autoreload to IOS236 if its installed.

@Wever, generally speaking in MMM IOS58 is unable to detect SD cards, if for whatever reason u want to install non-fakesigned IOSs using a non-fakesigned IOS then just reload to IOS36 and u should be able to recognize the SD Card (but as u said it also requires the folder "SD:\WAD")... but for the most part ppl should be loading IOS236 or IOS249 (or 202/222/223/224/250) anyways

11. JoostinOnline

United States
    That is very interesting info. I'd never heard that, so thank you.

12. XFlak

Canada
    Not true, firstly he isn't using abhprot at all. By the sounds of it he's downloaded MMM using ModMii, so ahbprot is disabled by default (OP can confirm this by checking that SD:\apps\MMM\meta.xml does not have "no_ios_reload" in it). And even if it was enabled, just because it hasn't crashed yet doesn't mean it won't crash next time. If he has a wifi connection set up and using ahbprot then the chances of an error are practically non-existent; but if he doesn't have a wifi connection, chances of error are 50/50. For those without a working wifi connection, if you wait about 30 seconds in the HBC while the network icon is blinking (trying to establish a connection) then the chances of failure are dramatically reduced, but still not 0 (based on my tests alone, I'd guess it reduces the risk of error from 50% to 15%).

Anyways, no big deal and I hope this doesn't sound like I'm chastising you or anything like that [​IMG]

13. JoostinOnline

United States
    Not at all. I have been doing this for a few years now, but I recognize that there is always more to learn.

14. XFlak

Canada
    The crash doesn't always occur within seconds of launch, based on my tests alone, I'd say that 90% of the time when it did crash, it crashed during the first 10 seconds. But I've seen it crash a few times after 30-60 seconds. Problem is that even 10 seconds is enough time for some1 to start installing a system menu or system menu IOS... and if it crashes...

Also, I've tested this on a Wii that had internet settings configured but no wifi access, and it still crashed. But bear in mind that most of my tests were done with an ahbprot enabled yawmm (the unreleased "yawmm 4 ModMii") and IOS236 Installer. But I'm pretty sure MMM should operate more or less the same. AFAIK, the only ahbprot enabled app that operates differently is priiloader v0.7 which does some funky shit to workaround the issue by installing dvdx or something, i dunno the details.

15. JoostinOnline

United States
    The part in bold is a problem. A lot of things that try to add AHBPROT (especially Dop-Mii) have had problems crashing. The releases are just buggy. Even if you remove they still crash quite often. MMM is the only stable one I know of.

16. Jason07
    OP

Newcomer Jason07 Newbie

Netherlands
  17. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You don't have a valid IOS installed in that slot. Inss7tall a new one.

18. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

19. XFlak

Canada
    Dude, use ModMii... do u think ur saving time by NOT using modmii? quite the opposite i'm sure

20. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

What? IOS58 has the same SD driver as all the other "second generation" IOSes (50+), and if it had any issues don't you think it would be obvious since HBC and many homebrew apps use it?