Help identifying installed WADs.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by SG, Mar 22, 2011.

Mar 22, 2011

Help identifying installed WADs. by SG at 9:49 AM (1,048 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yesterday I was using WAD Deleter to look for WADs that I had installed but no longer had them on my SD card, so I couldn't use WAD Manager EDIT: AnyTitleDeleter to get rid of them. Problem is, WADs that were installed as opposed to downloaded via the shop have nonsense names comprised of numbers and letters, like '4adghbd3475h' or something, as opposed to 'Donkey Kong Country' - but the WADs that were bought via the shop have proper names. Is there:

1)a way to identify which of the WADs with no proper names are what game channels?
    2)a way to rename the WADs (even if it means altering them on my PC and reloading them onto the Wii)?

I'm a perfectionist!

2. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    So where are the wad's now? Installed to your wii? Simplest way, do a dump of your nand in bootmii, open that dump in showmiiwads, Find em in there and see what their titles are.
    But if they're installed why not just have a look at what they are on your menu.

Somerset? Oooh arrr farmer, not far from me. I'm in sunny Brizzle!

3. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Wouldn't using Any-Title-Deleter be the easiest way to identify most installed Titles/WADs and delete them? It can usually find the correct labels of the Titles and display them except for some rare homebrew and foreign characters. I wouldn't recommend "re-naming" the titles as far as the Title ID/Folder structure goes, nor messing with the Tag IDs in the TMD/Tickets; is there a vital reason you want to other than a strong itching to?

-[]D

4. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    No, just itching. I'm rather confused as to why they don't just display like legitimate WADs, as they are the same thing but modified to install on any machine.

The ones that I want gone I want COMPLETELY gone from my system - another obsessive quirk of mine although I assume that it's a simple concept if I want every iota of space that it takes up gone. AnyTitleDeleter - thanks, that was actually what I was using, but your link showed me a newer version that has a mod to it that shows names of WADs that I'll try. Is it safe to delete the News and Weather channels? I want to get rid of them and install the UK equivalents (mind you, I have no idea how to get them compared to game WADs and they aren't paid for so I guess it's OK to ask... if anyone knows).

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    NAND is a type of physical memory chipset.
    The Wii has this type of memory as it's internal storing space (512MB of NAND).
    Think that the NAND is an internal SD Card instead of using an hard drive.

When installing a Channel, it is then installed on the NAND.

As a game has many different names depending the location/country, it is installed in a folder using its TitleID instead of its game name. (nand:/00010002/48414341/ = Mii channel)
    Any Title Deleter Mod has a database including known game Titles to show the correct name instead of the folder name with the titleID.

About the dump, you can make a full copy of the NAND memory byte by byte (with Bootmii dump menu), and save it as a binary file on your SDCard or computer.
    This nand.bin file is a 1:1 copy of the content of your Wii (data, save games, channels, firmware, IOS, config, message, mii, etc. all your wii content).

ShowMiiWads is a Windows program allowing you to extract the nand.bin file into files and folder structure, like if you browsed your wii memory.
    Once you have all the file/folder structure on your computer, this is like if you have a Virtual Wii on your computer.
    ShowMiiWads can easily install/delete wads files into that "virtual Wii" using the "ShowMiiNand" option, it can list the installed channels and gives you their names, extract banners, make them region free, etc.
    (ShowMiiWads has a menu to swap between ShowMiiWads and ShowMiiNand after pointing to the virtual wii folder)

You may want to know what this "vitual Wii" may be used for?
    On your PC it has no real purpose, but once on SD or USB you can fool the Wii to think that these folders are the real internal memory. This is called as "Nand emulation".
    You can use homebrew which reads the wads installed in this emulated nand instead of the real nand : Triiforce, Mighty Channel.
    You can also boot your wii fully into this emulated mode using Sneek, showing the Wii menu with the installed channels and booting games as if it was a real wii.

The advantage of the Emulated nand and Sneek is that you can now use a really big hard drive (2TB) as your Wii available space, you can install a lot of WiiWare without running out of space. 512MB is no longer a problem [​IMG]

6. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Know it? I pass it every day on the way to work. lol
    I live over the Fishponds area myself.
    Nice to meet a fellow Farmer on the boards, lol.

As for the rest, Cyan just pretty much summed everything up perfectly

7. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    THAT...

was a fucking awesome explanation Cyan, it's made me understand a whole lot more about Wii er, stuff. Can I ask what you mean about making WADs region free? Would it enable me to get a UK version of the system channels and use them on my US Wii?

DP, where is you work then? I used to live in Fishponds when I was a student at UWE St. Matthias campus. I may even have spoken to you in a pub there for all I know!

8. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Small world man. Nah wouldn't have seen me in a pub, can't stand em, lol. Well I go for a meal with the mrs at pubs but not a drinker. More a spliff man myself, lol In fact a lot more, lol.

I work out Orange at Aztec West, low level shite sub contracted job. Pretty sure we'll be getting made redundant soon, glad really as need to get something over near home, getting to work can be a PITA when the mrs has got the car.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    No it's not a region free for the System menu, it doesn't allow you to convert 4.3U into 4.3E, don't use that option on a system menu wad.

Games, Wiiware, VC, and all installed channels have a region code (Japan, Usa, Europe, Korea, region free).
    These games are made to work only on the region decided by the publisher.

If you have 4.3E, you usually need to install Wiiware sold in Europe.
    If a wiiware from Japan or USA interest you, you can install it but can't launch it [​IMG]

There are two (main) ways to launch it :
    - use Priiloader's option to make Channel region free.
    - modify the Wad to make the channel region free before installing the wad in your Wii.

10. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    First of all, thanks everyone - the mod of AnyTitleDeleter worked great. I have a US Wii, I think it's 4.0U which IIRC is the most versatile firmware to have - I always install the US versions of VC games.

Basically, if I load the Weather Channel, it doesn't give me precise stuff about the UK compared to friends' UK Wiis - hence me wanting a 'UK/Euro version'. Buuuuuuut I think I'd find that a bit of a headache 'cos I'd always want to be able to easily launch it. Is it safe just to get rid of system channels to free up space with AnyTitleDeleter because I don't really care about the weather in America, or Nintendo's news... or come to think of it, editing JPEGs and so on!!!

@DP: And there was me wondering if you fancied a drink sometime - mind you a lot of people that I come by on gaming forums don't tend to go out much. I wish it was spliff instead of drink with me (but I get way too paranoid) because I've developed a wee habit of accompanying drinks with a few cheeky white lines these days. [​IMG]

11. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    LOL, fair enough mate. Know plenty of people that do, just not my bag baby.
    And yeah I get a bit paranoid with it, but fuck it, makes me careful, lol

12. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    What nobody has mentioned...

If I remember correctly, deleting integrated channels (news, weather, etc) is safe. However, to run out of region ones I think you would have to region change your Wii. Another however, though, is that deleting an integrated channel does NOT free up any memory space, the space for them is pre-allocated and is not freed up by their removal.

14. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks, yeah that's what my previous post said - some clever chappy went and made a mod which made getting the crap off my Wii FAR easier. What I don't understand is that I thought the WADs of games were the same as the legit shop games, just hacked to work on any console, so I don't get why they don't display as normal names like legit ones do..

plasma, thanks - I don't think I'll bother then!