[Help] How decrypt audio files from 3DS Roms?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Link-59, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Link-59
    OP

Link-59 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    France
    Hello !
    Right now, I try to extract the music from the 3DS Roms. I have already managed to The Legend of Zelda Tri Force Heroes and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, but for other games such as The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, there are only files ".bcsar". So I extract these files with BCSAR Extractor. This creates 4 folders. 3 empty folders "[CSAR]" ; "[INFO]" and "[STRG]". The last folder, "[FILE]", contains other types of files: ".CSEQ" ; ".CBNK" ; ".CWAR" and ".CGRP".
    For ".CSEQ" and ".CWAR" files, I use 3DS Audio Ripper. For ".CWAR" files, I still get little noises, sounds, but no music.
    But for ".CSEQ" this does is create a "cseq" folder that contains only the same file size as ".CSEQ" precedent and called "0x0.CSEQ" ; So it does not do me when to use this file ...
    How to convert ".CSEQ" files into a readable file? And files ".CBNK" and ".CGRP" ??
    Thank you in advance to people who can help me!

2. Link-59
    OP

Link-59 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    France
    Anyone?

3. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    same problem :I

4. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    .CSEQ can be converted into midis.
    .CWAR are wave archives, they contain .CWAV files. They're mostly used for sound effects and instruments for the .CSEQs
    I've managed to extract both formats, but the other files, I don't know fully.

5. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    oh God midis are horrible...
    But how do I play cwavs?

Also I'm don't know shit about this but I remember something about "sound banks" from ripping sfx from n64 games. Maybe it's some kind of "sound bank". Then again I don't even know what a sound bank is

Last edited by ariss, Feb 8, 2016
  6. Thelostrune

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    What? If you're talking about the actual sound output, that's the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.
    Midis are just files which say "This is how these notes are arranged, which instrument bank is assigned to is, what its modules are and BPM"
    Different wavetables have, well, different wavetables; different instrument banks. It's why midis made on Macs won't sound the same when copied over, because say Mac's #something violin may be MSGSWVS's #75 Recorder.

VGMStream or something, foobar2000 I've heard. Can't remember what people were buzzing about.

cearp likes this.
  7. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Is it exported to a .mid? That's what I was wondering

8. Thelostrune

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Yes.

9. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Hmm interesting. I guess it's always cool to be able to switch the instruments around. Someone could make some really cool remixes with that

10. Thelostrune

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Depends on what the .cseq files actually contain. In XY/ORAS, they're mostly used for sound effects, battle sound effects and what I believe to be cry templates.

11. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    So wait.. I just extracted the stuff from Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. How do I get the midis from that? I have bcwav, scar, and cstm. I don't have any midis.
    Edit: nevermind I read foobar2000, I'll try it as I have it.
    edit 2: foobar2000 isn't working, probably because I'm missing a plugin.

Last edited by sniper_x002, Feb 8, 2016
  12. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    I have several cseqs from multiple games including loz triforce heroes and loz oot

13. Thelostrune

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Forgot the program name, I'll have to go to sleep now though. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Yeah, but you should find out what is streamed and what isn't. That'll give you a clue what you can edit.

14. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Ok I got Bcwav to play in vgmstream, and exported to wav. Still can't figure out the csar/cstm (midi) stuff which I what I really want.

15. Thelostrune

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    CSAR/CSTM are .BCSAR and .BCSTM respectively. Yes, they're the file you dumped itself and the CTR music streams found in nearly every 3DS game.

16. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    I've been searching for awhile, got a few programs too but I still can't figure out how to use csar(bcsar) or cstm(bcstm)
    I did get the bcsar extraction tool, but the only thing I can use out of it is the banner sound for the game I have (PMD Super Mystery Dungeon). I do have a folder full of names of sound effects, but I'm not sure how to play those either.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok, I got a program called Every File Explorer that is able to play CSTM!
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-every-file-explorer.373615/

17. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    i think you can only play .bcwav with foobar2000 but u need this plugin first if u dont already have it https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_vgmstream

18. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Yeah, I got that working after awhile but it still only played the banner. But now I'm able to play all the stuff with Every File Explorer. Still don't know about conversion to midi, which is what I really want. I can probably use audacity to record my PC sounds while EFE is playing the stuff though, but thats not what I really want.

19. ariss

ariss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    You can use EFE? To play everything? Only one of the two formats play for me

20. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    No, when I said "all the stuff" I meant all the music that was in the game I was using. It had sound effects too.