[HELP] Getting started with programming

• Thread starter Deleted-379826
  • Start date
  • Views 1,243
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted-379826

OP
I was wondering from all of your experiences do you prefer C++ or Javascript and are any of these able to make programs on the 3ds? also beside the point in general id like to know which one is better and if you can provide links to the best version/ best tutorial out there? Im really wanting to get into one of them thanks :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you like driving a car or flying a plane? Both are technically capable of transporting you but they are rather different beyond that. Unless you meant Java which is a more conventional programming language. I will do all three.

Javascript aka ECMAscript is mostly intended for web use. Browsers run it so websites can achieve more functionality. Technically as the 3ds has a web browser with a very limited javascript engine (a ridiculously limited one) you could write code for it that would allow you to play something here. There are other takes on javascript, probably the more notable being node.js, but that is an odd world and I would not suggest going there if you do not have to.
I like https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/Introduction as a guide to javascript, though how good it will be if you are starting completely cold I do not know.
You will probably also want to know HTML (pay attention also to HTML5) and CSS, possibly also some PHP, mysql and other web focused things to truly get the most out of javascript.

C++ is a somewhat high level language. Not as high a level/abstracted from hardware as Java, python and especially javascript, but more removed than plain C and assembly even if there is not a lot in it at times. C++ is exceptionally powerful and used by many of the best and brightest programmers out there* as it does basically everything short of web stuff, and even there you see a few people doing some things. The downside is it is one of the harder languages to truly get a grasp on and it will allow you to make silly mistakes that other programming languages will shield you from (usually at a cost in terms of speed) and inter platform operability (java has its runtime that works on loads of different systems, python too where C++ might need a fair bit of rework to have it run on a new platform).
I believe there is a C++ compiler that can work on the 3DS.
I am not sure what I want to suggest for new programmers going into C++, it is doable despite what some might tell you. Though if I must link something then http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ , I have more for plain C but I will spare that for now.

*high performance computer games, video encoders, big boy calculation driven software, operating systems... if they are not being written in C++ then it will be because they are being written in C, something which a C++ programmer can usually fumble through and vice versa.

Java is a high level language that gained a lot of popularity in the business world. For normal PCs a lot frown upon it these days owing to an abysmal security track record, doubly so for the web plugin side of things. However it is the programming language of choice for the Android family of operating systems and there are passing popular. I am not personally a fan of Java for a bunch of reasons, and the sentiment is shared by no small number of computer types, but learn it and I would count you a programmer and you can get stuff done, including fairly high performance stuff (minecraft is a popular game written in it, it is fast enough to be used in rapid deployment/change environments and I did mention most things written for android being written in it right?).
To the best of my knowledge there is no Java interpreter for the 3ds and though there possibly could be I would not hold my breath for one, much less a useful one.

D

Deleted-379826

OP
Do you like driving a car or flying a plane? Both are technically capable of transporting you but they are rather different beyond that. Unless you meant Java which is a more conventional programming language. I will do all three.

Javascript aka ECMAscript is mostly intended for web use. Browsers run it so websites can achieve more functionality. Technically as the 3ds has a web browser with a very limited javascript engine (a ridiculously limited one) you could write code for it that would allow you to play something here. There are other takes on javascript, probably the more notable being node.js, but that is an odd world and I would not suggest going there if you do not have to.
I like https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/Introduction as a guide to javascript, though how good it will be if you are starting completely cold I do not know.
You will probably also want to know HTML (pay attention also to HTML5) and CSS, possibly also some PHP, mysql and other web focused things to truly get the most out of javascript.

C++ is a somewhat high level language. Not as high a level/abstracted from hardware as Java, python and especially javascript, but more removed than plain C and assembly even if there is not a lot in it at times. C++ is exceptionally powerful and used by many of the best and brightest programmers out there* as it does basically everything short of web stuff, and even there you see a few people doing some things. The downside is it is one of the harder languages to truly get a grasp on and it will allow you to make silly mistakes that other programming languages will shield you from (usually at a cost in terms of speed) and inter platform operability (java has its runtime that works on loads of different systems, python too where C++ might need a fair bit of rework to have it run on a new platform).
I believe there is a C++ compiler that can work on the 3DS.
I am not sure what I want to suggest for new programmers going into C++, it is doable despite what some might tell you. Though if I must link something then http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ , I have more for plain C but I will spare that for now.

*high performance computer games, video encoders, big boy calculation driven software, operating systems... if they are not being written in C++ then it will be because they are being written in C, something which a C++ programmer can usually fumble through and vice versa.

Java is a high level language that gained a lot of popularity in the business world. For normal PCs a lot frown upon it these days owing to an abysmal security track record, doubly so for the web plugin side of things. However it is the programming language of choice for the Android family of operating systems and there are passing popular. I am not personally a fan of Java for a bunch of reasons, and the sentiment is shared by no small number of computer types, but learn it and I would count you a programmer and you can get stuff done, including fairly high performance stuff (minecraft is a popular game written in it, it is fast enough to be used in rapid deployment/change environments and I did mention most things written for android being written in it right?).
To the best of my knowledge there is no Java interpreter for the 3ds and though there possibly could be I would not hold my breath for one, much less a useful one.
so from what i understand since i wanna do some things for 3ds and potentianally make games and programs instead of anything related to web i should go with c++? or would C be better in a sense and btw thanks so much i appreciate your time and all this info a lot :D

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST6191 's post is dead on. Not sure if your just beginning your Comp. Science journey OP but if you are, Lynda.com has great video tutorials and lessons on a large variety of languages/algorithms for beginners and intermediate programmers.

EDIT: Also as a person who has connections to game developers and companies, if you're looking to get into that field as a programmer you can't go wrong with C++ knowledge.

Last edited by Devastus,
D

Deleted-379826

OP
@FAST6191 's post is dead on. Not sure if your just beginning your Comp. Science journey OP but if you are, Lynda.com has great video tutorials and lessons on a large variety of languages/algorithms for beginners and intermediate programmers.

EDIT: Also as a person who has connections to game developers and companies, if you're looking to get into that field as a programmer you can't go wrong with C++ knowledge.
Thank you :D you're awesome lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also just in case I ever wanted to could c++ potentially develop for android I probably wouldn't just asking tho thanks for all this :D

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you :D you're awesome lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also just in case I ever wanted to could c++ potentially develop for android I probably wouldn't just asking tho thanks for all this :D

It is possible to develop a C and C++ app using the Android Native Development Kit (NDK), however it isn't something that Google promotes. The official language for Android development is Java. On the flip, Java I think is a great language to use when learning data structures for the first time. But that's my opinion and data structures can be learned in essentially every language.

EDIT: This is a great u2be channel for learning a large deal of data structures and algorithms in general. Probably one of the best out there. He teaches all of it using Java.

Last edited by Devastus,
D

Deleted-379826

OP
It is possible to develop a C and C++ app using the Android Native Development Kit (NDK), however it isn't something that Google promotes. The official language for Android development is Java. On the flip, Java I think is a great language to use when learning data structures for the first time. But that's my opinion and data structures can be learned in essentially every language.

EDIT: This is a great u2be channel for learning a large deal of data structures and algorithms in general. Probably one of the best out there. He teaches all of it using Java.
One last question I got Turbo c++ and it's a client that will boot into a modified version of dos box was that the proper version of c++ to download or can you link me too it? Thanks for everything :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a project already written in turbo C++ that you want to adapt? If not then stop that and get something a bit better. It is old and outdated at this point, and not even in a kind of good for pure learning way like some things can be.

For big boy stuff it would have to be something like mingw http://www.mingw.org/ or cygwin https://www.cygwin.com/ if you want to jump right in at the deep end of the programming pool.

Microsoft do a good compiler/programming setup called visual studio. More https://www.visualstudio.com/

Some might give me some stick for suggesting this but for learning and playing then I can definitely suggest codeblocks http://www.codeblocks.org/ . It will possibly hold your hand a bit but saves fighting with the compiler.

Actually just go with codeblocks and a tutorial that makes use of it.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

OP
Do you have a project already written in turbo C++ that you want to adapt? If not then stop that and get something a bit better. It is old and outdated at this point, and not even in a kind of good for pure learning way like some things can be.

For big boy stuff it would have to be something like mingw http://www.mingw.org/ or cygwin https://www.cygwin.com/ if you want to jump right in at the deep end of the programming pool.

Microsoft do a good compiler/programming setup called visual studio. More https://www.visualstudio.com/

Some might give me some stick for suggesting this but for learning and playing then I can definitely suggest codeblocks http://www.codeblocks.org/ . It will possibly hold your hand a bit but saves fighting with the compiler.

Actually just go with codeblocks and a tutorial that makes use of it.
Thanks I'll be sure to go with code blocks thanks for all the help you two have been giving :D

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.