Hacking Emulation ROM Hack help for modding a psp game (dragon ball shin budokai 2)

pizzos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i want to create a little mod that add all trasformation in one character (for example you select goku and he can trasform in kk, ssj, ssj2, ssj3, ssj4 in one single battle, without exit and selecting him again).
but i dont know how to do it, i downloded umdgen but i cant open any file.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have to exit and select (as opposed to meeting conditions or button combo in the game) this sounds like something more in the world of character select cheats and they don't always work in battle (might work between rounds though). Where they tend to work better is in games that allow you to select two characters that allow you to tag in/out or jump in when the other is killed. That said games on 3d systems can be better for this than more classic 2d stuff.
Such cheats are among the more basic ones out there but not necessarily what I would learn with in an ideal world. The principle is the same though and you select different characters, search to find what is chances between them (possibly with savestates, do note that some selections are merely hovering over it in character select, some when you press the confirm in character select and some only when all players have selected a character and confirmed it).

I don't know what we have for PSP cheat finding guides but the principles are much the same everywhere so https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial
You would then presumably make button combos to select specific characters or cycle round the values you want.

If you are going to attempt it as a more general hack then ignoring the cheat option that is one of the more advanced hacks most would reasonably attempt as you will be speaking to something quite fundamental in the code, possibly to the point of having to guide it through loading new models/textures/animations/move sets. If there is a character that copies move sets or can transform in game to mimic other characters (many games of this era and a bit earlier tended to have one of those, even if only as a boss) then that might provide you an easier option.

pizzos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have to exit and select (as opposed to meeting conditions or button combo in the game) this sounds like something more in the world of character select cheats and they don't always work in battle (might work between rounds though). Where they tend to work better is in games that allow you to select two characters that allow you to tag in/out or jump in when the other is killed. That said games on 3d systems can be better for this than more classic 2d stuff.
Such cheats are among the more basic ones out there but not necessarily what I would learn with in an ideal world. The principle is the same though and you select different characters, search to find what is chances between them (possibly with savestates, do note that some selections are merely hovering over it in character select, some when you press the confirm in character select and some only when all players have selected a character and confirmed it).

I don't know what we have for PSP cheat finding guides but the principles are much the same everywhere so
You would then presumably make button combos to select specific characters or cycle round the values you want.

If you are going to attempt it as a more general hack then ignoring the cheat option that is one of the more advanced hacks most would reasonably attempt as you will be speaking to something quite fundamental in the code, possibly to the point of having to guide it through loading new models/textures/animations/move sets. If there is a character that copies move sets or can transform in game to mimic other characters (many games of this era and a bit earlier tended to have one of those, even if only as a boss) then that might provide you an easier option.
the problem is that i can't find a program that allows me to modify the game file.
I downloded UMDgen but i can't modify the file, i can only see them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the problem is that i can't find a program that allows me to modify the game file.
I downloded UMDgen but i can't modify the file, i can only see them.
Very rarely will you encounter things that allow you to modify any given random game. undgen will allow you to extract the files and import them again (and relink, which could be of some use here later, which is less common to see than many would like). From there it is up to the would be hacker to figure out the path.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/ is more for the GBA and DS but the principles apply everywhere.

pizzos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Very rarely will you encounter things that allow you to modify any given random game. undgen will allow you to extract the files and import them again (and relink, which could be of some use here later, which is less common to see than many would like). From there it is up to the would be hacker to figure out the path.

is more for the GBA and DS but the principles apply everywhere.
ah ok, thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh