[Help] Fixing injected GBA vertical alignment

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Cralex, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Cralex
    OP

Cralex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    With all the recent innovations, I keep hoping someone will find a way to fix shenanigans like this:

[​IMG]

To be fair, it often gets worse when you press the home button, so the picture is a bit extreme. It's only a sliver when you first launch the game, but it's really annoying. It only happens on this one N3DS that I have, not with my N3DSXL and not all the time. The unit in question was originally hacked otp-less A9LH and region-swapped from J to U, but I've tried it with everything after that. The problem still occurs under Luma 8.0. Any suggestions on how to prevent this would be appreciated. I have tried reinstalling stock AGB Firm without any noticeable improvement.

Quantumcat likes this.
  2. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    IIRC it has something to do with your SD card storage size and/or cluster size; is it formatted to a 32KB cluster size?

There was a thread about this sort of thing with a DBZ game. I don't remember if the OP fixed the problem with the above information or it was just that game (or any variation, like that dump of the game, etc.).

Cralex likes this.
  3. Cralex
    OP

Cralex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    I believe it's a 128GB card, but I can double-check later. I got it from a reputable source, so I'm sure the card is legit. I *think* it was formatted using either emunand9 or hourglass9, but maybe not? I assume these tools use the 32KB cluster size. Is there any way to check or should I just reformat it and try again? (Obviously, I'd use GM9 nowadays or a PC tool, whichever is recommended.)

Of the many GBA games I've injected, some don't seem to have this problem while others randomly display correctly or not.

4. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    That's way too fucking big. Go down a few sizes and the problem will correct itself. I recommend 32GB.

Mark McDonut likes this.
  5. zeldaism

zeldaism GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 19, 2016
    United States
    You're SD card isn't formatted to 32k. Copy everything from your SD card to your PC and format it with Guiformat then copy everything back.

Last edited by zeldaism, Jun 6, 2017
    Cralex likes this.
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you do some searching on this topic, you'll find the problem only occurs with 128GB cards and nobody ever found a solution (AFAIK).

Mark McDonut and Cralex like this.
  7. Cralex
    OP

Cralex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Ah, ok. Interesting! I tried looking up the topic, but I couldn't think of what search terms to use. Never suspected the SD card, so that didn't help. I'll try reformatting it anyway, to see if it adds any... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Stability.

Edit: And yes, my other unit's card is "only" 64GB, which goes along with what you're saying.

Last edited by Cralex, Jun 6, 2017
    zeldaism, Quantumcat and sks316 like this.
  8. contingences

contingences Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2016
    Belgium
    Last edited by contingences, Jun 7, 2017
    Kyouken and Mark McDonut like this.