Hacking Help finding out system menu version (Not Easy)

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I posted about this earlier but the thread had a misleading title and I think it is getting ignored. Anyways, my 9yr old nephew 4yr old niece and my SIL and BIL (Wifes Sister and Her Husband) came for the weekend. It was my nephews B-day this week so we went to some yard sales to find some games for his PS2 and low and behold this guy was selling a working Wii for $100 with all the wires and controllers. They are poor and he has always wanted a Wii so I told him we would get it for him for his B-day if he was good and shared with his sister. So we got it and they left it here with me so I could put the HBC on it and some of the homebrew made games, but there is a problem. I cannot install the HBC until I know what system menu it is on and right now when I go to settings the system menu is blank. Can anyone help me figure out what system menu it is on. It is an LU33 and the chip is a GC2-D2C v1 and it was made in 2006. I checked and it has not been hard modded. When I try to connect to the shop it says to update so its obviously not on 4.3/4.3.1 Any help or tips to figuring this out would be great guys. Thanks.

Elmoreas

P.S. Oh and SDHC cards do not work on

eldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
goto the settings and it will tell you the version number in the top right hand corner of the screen - unless its really really old

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No the settings menu comes up its just where there is supposed to be the vX.X (U/E/J/K) it is just blank.

No it cannot be that, its got to be a glitch its a lu33

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U can use ModMii's Wizard function, and when it asks you what your current firmware is, tell it that it is Other under 2.2 "O". Then it will tell u the following as well as get all the files u need.

If you have smash bros brawl, twilight princess, lego indiana jones or yu-gi-oh 5 D's, u can launch an exploit without even needing to know what firmware your on (although some of those games may update you first, which is fine). All of these games (except for twilight princess) can be used to hack any USA wii, even one that is on the latest 4.3 firmware (twilight princess stopped working after 3.5). If you do not have any of these games, then u need to find a game with an update on it, like new super mario bros wii, and use it to update your wii to 4.2 (or less), then u can use bannerbomb without requiring another disc based exploit.

edit: btw, I'm assuming u are on a very old firmware, possibly even a launch wii

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you can run an exploit (Twilight Hack, Smash Hack, Bannerbomb, etc), then run it with syscheck 2.0.1. It will check system menu for you.

Alternatively, you can rent Super Smash Brawl, update your Wii into 4.3.1, and use Smash Hack on it.

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh I don't need to rent it I buy all my Wii games, I have over 70 right now I have ZTLP, SSBB, NSMB, SMG2, MOM, just not Lego IN Jones.

Edit: OK considering all I want is the HBC and some HB games should I

1. Update it and Smash Hack it (This is what I think though I like xflak and his work, just due to needs being limited)

or

2. Update it and ModMii it

or

3. Not Update it and Modmii it

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
elmoreas said:
Oh I don't need to rent it I buy all my Wii games, I have over 70 right now I have ZTLP, SSBB, NSMB, SMG2, MOM, just not Lego IN Jones.
ok, update your wii to 4.3, run smash stack (ntsc) or indiana jones (rent it if you need to)

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can use super smash bros brawl to launch a exploit or to just update, nsmb has something in the 4.0 /4.1 on it i guess so you could use that disc to update and then use bannerbomb as a exploit

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
trumpet-205 said:
If you can run an exploit (Twilight Hack, Smash Hack, Bannerbomb, etc), then run it with syscheck 2.0.1. It will check system menu for you.

Alternatively, you can rent Super Smash Brawl, update your Wii into 4.3.1, and use Smash Hack on it.
-Bannerbomb won't work on his prehistoric system menu
biggrin.gif

-SmashStack will work on all firmwares, so no need to update to 4.3 to use it (same goes for Lego Indiana Jones and Yu-Gi-Oh 5 D's).
-Twilight princess has an update on it, if he updates via that disc, he can then use bannerbomb (or the twilight hack)
-updating using any disc (other than Metroid other M) should get him on a firmware somewhere from 3.0-4.2, all of which is supported by bannerbomb (I'm pretty sure that Metroid other M has the 4.3 update on it)

All of this is covered in ModMii when a user says his Wii is on a SM version below 3.0
biggrin.gif

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok decision is made I am updating using NSMB to 4.2 and then putting the HBC on with banner bomb. I can dop what I need to after that to make it 4.3.1 compatible well after I install ios58. Thanks for the help sorry for the trouble. Thanks for the very specific help xflak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC