Homebrew Help finding a decent text reader.

Dalrint

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've been using my DS with my cyclods evolution card as a book reader a lot lately, and I love it except the version of moonshell that the cyclods team set up tends to spaz out over quotation marks in txt files, and either blanks them out or turns them into random code. Which makes reading anything with dialogue a nightmare.

So!

I went and hunted down the new beta of moonshell, and tried that, but I can't seem to find one that isn't japanese, and if I try to use the language option to chagne it, then it gives me tons of language errors.

And it doesn't seem to bookmark stuff the way the older version of moonshell does.

SO! My question to you, my plea for help, is there a version of moonshell that Doesn't spaz over quotation marks and will save my bookmarks the way old moonshell does, even when I just shut off the DS? Or a version of the moonshell beta that does that? In english?

Preferably where I can change the background to be black, too...

I know, I know, I'm picky. Help!

Trigger_Happy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find Readmore to be a nice option because it's one of the few text readers that don't read like notepad where letters would be cut off and moved to the next line. I keep forgetting if it has black or white text on their opposite background color, though.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=206683

Image:
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=153452

Only supports xhtml (html 1.0 strict, no CSS) so you need to be aware how to convert your own or get them pre converted from moonbooks. It's not hard and worth learning.

Does black on white and white on black presentation (X button), bookmarks every page turn, lamp control (Y button) and supports true type fonts so you can use your own fonts, settings and margin heights and widths.

I recommend 11 point Georgia for black text on white, has a slight serif to it to give it that pulp fiction look. Or 10 point (11 point also good) Utah MT, sans serif, great for heaps of words per page and works well with white text on black background. (These fonts are used often in professional readers and 'smartphones').

Its been a while since last beta release but is still under development.

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
DSReader. No doubt about it. It works with all of my books from gutenberg.org and gamefaqs guides great, and works with TrueType fonts, too! It lets you have white on black or black on white and you can save 3 bookmarks per text file (and it shows the % of how far you are in the file next to it, like some game saves). I'm using it to beat Final Fantasy 6 easier on the go without a laptop or something to have the guide, and it works wonders (especially with the bookmarks since my guide is HUGE and scrolling would take forever each time I opened it if it didn't have bookmarks).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something that may help with your current situation: open up your .txt file in Wordpad, do File - Save As, in the dropdown box choose that you want to save it as a text document in MS-DOS format. Then open it back up in Moonshell and see if your problem goes away.

In any case, I've used DSReader and can vouch for its usefulness, though DSLibris is also definitely worth a look. If you use DSReader, just make sure that your text files don't have any spaces in the name or else the bookmarks won't work correctly.

Dalrint

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woo!

haha, I was trying DSreader when DantheManMS suggested saving the txt files differently...and than fixed my moonshell issue! It doesn't mind the quotation marks now.

Woo! Thank you, everyone who gave advice.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM