Hacking Help burning SMBB on dual layer.

Gaiosan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I got a wii for like a month so im kinda noob,
modded with d2ckey i think, NTSC console.

All games i have downloaded worked til today,

I got a iso file (Super Smash Bros. Brawl.iso), about 8GB,

I ran WiiBrickBlocker as I usualy do, thats it.

Got some AGFAPHOTO DVD+R Double Layer 8X 8.5GB cds,

Tried to burn this image with CloneCD, but the Wii gave me a black screen+white text saying cd is corrupted and i should turn off the Wii.
Tried again on every possible speed, same thing.

Then i read somewhere i should use ImgBurn with layer Break 2084960,
so i installed ImgBurn, Options>Write>layer break 2084960, then i "Write file to CD", and burnt it. Same message on Wii, again tried in every possible Speed. spent like 8 Cds on this.... Same message everytime.

Btw, i don't even know if my DVDburner is capable of burning Dual Layers (?), It's Written on it COMPACTDISC RW DVD+R DL, So i guess i can right? (device manager says LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P)

Anyway PLZ help me my little sister is driving me Crazy and i'm running out of CDs...

THANX

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
You should try without the update blocker. If that doesn't work, you should shrink the ISO down to DVD5 and try that. Mines DVD5 and it works fine, you just lose some stuff like the FMV looking vidyas.

Gaiosan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thnx alot,
also the guy in the store warned me to NEVER accept updates,

without the brickblocker will it want to update? and should i accept it?

i don't wanna change the wii firmwire version...

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing at all. just avoid to update to another region firmware (and of course to 3.3U for now) and you are safe.

i hate those seller just give b*llsh*t talk. without update then how to play...

ironlung

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your DVDs are shite.

Try doing everything including the layer break, at a slow burning speed, but use Verbatim dual layer DVD+Rs. You'll find it makes the world of difference ...

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brickblocker could be used for game from different region, i.e. Pal or NTSC-J ISO to prevent update. Totally safe when update from a disc with same region with the wii.

Gaiosan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried the DVD5 Version. still SAME message... used Verbatim this time + slow burn and a new version of Brawl...

what else can I Do!?!?

wiiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where were your Verbatim discs made. I had a similiar problem using Verbatim discs until I noticed that mine were "made in India". Went and bought some "made in Singapore" ones and now I'm sorted
smile.gif

I used ImgBurn with custom layer break (2.4x) and didn't bother adding any of those brickblocker things etc. I have a PAL Wii and used the PAL version of the game so I guess it will be the same with NTSC and NTSC.? As far as I am aware you only need to worry about using brickblocker if you run isos from different regions than your Wii - I always just use games from my own territory to be extra safe (its not like there are not enogh to choose from
smile.gif
)

It could be your iso file that is corrupt so if this still doesn't work you could try downloading another? I know for sure that the DVD9 iso I downloaded (uploaded by ESPALWII) works a treat so if anyone with a PAL Wii is having any issues make sure you try downloading this one. Maybe if you let people know who uploaded your NTSC iso someone will be able to confirm whether they have got it working.

Another thing you could try is burning the iso with a different DVD burner (hardware not software) as maybe your DVD burner is a bit worn out / not very good and it only shws up on dual layer burns.

Finally, the only other difference betwen mine and your setup is that I have a Wiikey but I'm sure your chip should work just as flawlessly.

Good luck mate - I consider getting a backup of SSBB running on your Wii the "holy grail" of Wii-modding at the moment so it might take a few tries - once you've got it sorted it does feel good though
smile.gif
. If your Verbatims are not "made in Singapore" I would say this is definitely the problem.

Gaiosan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this one was a DVD5 so i burnt it on a 4.7 single layer... no brickblocker used... tried pal version and ntsc version...

where can i see the "Made in" on the cd? i cant seem to find it.

wiiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the packaging - the little kind of paper 'collar' that goes round the spindle will tell you where the CDs were made.

Although, if you are only burning a single layer CD I'm not sure if this is so important - my Wii is only this picky when it comes to dual layer DVD's.

TBH, I'd go for trying to get the DVD9 version working anyway but then that's only because I like to have the entire game. I have no experience with the DVD5 version so maybe someone else can advise you but I know for sure that some game modes do not work and I have heard stories of the game crashing when you try to do certain moves (Mario's FLUDD move for example). Atleast you know the DVD9 version has not been messed with as somewhere along the line someoe has removed content from the DVD5 version to get it to fit on a single layer disc.

That said, some Wii lasers apparently struggle with reading dual layer discs so the DVD5 version may be your only option. I've got a launch Wii and that manages dual layer fine but maybe I'm just lucky??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I burned the DVD9 three times now, and it's not working very well.
I tried on 3.2E with wiikey 1.9g and then 1.9s

I used verbatim DVD+R DL, from Singapore.
- in 2.4x imgburrn + layerbreak, it worked a little, I could only create the save data, and the intro video show me white screen message (like if not finding layer2 with videos on it. the game menu and options are working fine)
- in 1x imgburn + layerbreak, same as 2.4x but even more pain detecting the DVD. it worked after the wii was power off all night, but only up to the title screen.
- in 2.4x with nero (no layerbreak option), not a single time it was recognize by the wii.

I'm giving up. I may try another brand, or the original game and see if it can read DVD9 correctly or if it's a faulty wii lens.

Rice923

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a working copy on my Wiikey 1.9s Wii. I did not use any layer break, but I don't remember what speed I burnt it at. Try 1x without layer break on Imgburn.

BTW, how many DL disks do you have left. Sounds like you tried quite a few times; these things aren't cheap
unsure.gif

How much do you guys buy DL DVD's for?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9