Hacking Help brother updated Wii!!

nachoscool

Outer Heaven Janitor Rank Z
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my brother updated the Wii using the Wii Shop and now my Wii won't play disc games anymore. Are they related or did my Wii just stop working?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can think of a relation in that, but it depends on your situation.

If you're talking about retail games...then it should be unrelated. Retail games should work on all versions of the IOS'es used, so updating shouldn't affect them. If needed, you can use NUSD or (probably) modmii to download the IOS'es (that is those below 200), and reinstall them (but FFS, do NOT uninstall them first. And make sure you're using a decent cIOS to install them in the first place).

If you're talking about backup discs...then your cIOS'es probably got overwritten. Use syscheck to see what got overwritten (and probably stubbed), and use modmii to reinstall the correct cIOS'es.

nachoscool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can think of a relation in that, but it depends on your situation.

If you're talking about retail games...then it should be unrelated. Retail games should work on all versions of the IOS'es used, so updating shouldn't affect them. If needed, you can use NUSD or (probably) modmii to download the IOS'es (that is those below 200), and reinstall them (but FFS, do NOT uninstall them first. And make sure you're using a decent cIOS to install them in the first place).

If you're talking about backup discs...then your cIOS'es probably got overwritten. Use syscheck to see what got overwritten (and probably stubbed), and use modmii to reinstall the correct cIOS'es.

No they're retail games. I guess my Wii's disc drive finally died. Is there anyway to know for sure that it's my disc drive that died and not the update that caused it? It stopped working right in the middle of me playing Brawl. It just seems like its too coincidental.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
No they're retail games. I guess my Wii's disc drive finally died. Is there anyway to know for sure that it's my disc drive that died and not the update that caused it? It stopped working right in the middle of me playing Brawl. It just seems like its too coincidental.

Is it just for Brawl?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Is it just for Brawl?
Nachoscool, he's asking because Wii disc drives are notorious for not reading dual-layer games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.
If you try, say, Wii Sports, I'd give it a 99.5% chance it'll work fine.

nachoscool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just for Brawl?

Nachoscool, he's asking because Wii disc drives are notorious for not reading dual-layer games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.
If you try, say, Wii Sports, I'd give it a 99.5% chance it'll work fine.

No its for all my games. I start up the game, the Wii starts making weird noises and then gives me the error screen telling me to turn off the power.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Might have to clean the laser or outright replace the drive. Nintendo will do it for you for a fee but with the right tools it's easy enough to do yourself. Just gotta be careful with the ribbon cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021