Hacking Help and clarification required regarding game sizes and SD card sizes

3dsdude21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, this is more of a multi-part question.

1) There's 2 SD cards, right? 1 in the system and 1 in the flashcart. Is it true that the flashcart SD card is to store all the DS and 2DS games, and the SD card in the system is to store the 3DS games?

2) Roughly speaking, what is the size of each DS / 2DS / 3DS game? I have a spare 16Gb card on hand, and I'm thinking of swapping the 4Gb card that came with the system to put into the flashcart, and to use my 16Gb card to put into the system to store the 3DS games. It would be great if anyone could list some popular game titles and the accompanying size, just so that I can get a rough idea. Just for the record, I'm not a hardcore gamer, so maybe just 5 or so games on each SD card at a time? I don't have that much time to play anyway.

3) Let's say somewhere down the line, I realise that either flashcart is way too small for me and I want to upgrade. Will it be a hassle? Do I have to do any flashing again? Or can I just copy all the contents from the old SD card to the new SD card and plug it back in and I'm good to go? Just to confirm, this question is in regard to both SD cards (both the one in the system and in the flashcart).

Thanks!

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, this is more of a multi-part question.

1) There's 2 SD cards, right? 1 in the system and 1 in the flashcart. Is it true that the flashcart SD card is to store all the DS and 2DS games, and the SD card in the system is to store the 3DS games?

2) Roughly speaking, what is the size of each DS / 2DS / 3DS game? I have a spare 16Gb card on hand, and I'm thinking of swapping the 4Gb card that came with the system to put into the flashcart, and to use my 16Gb card to put into the system to store the 3DS games. It would be great if anyone could list some popular game titles and the accompanying size, just so that I can get a rough idea. Just for the record, I'm not a hardcore gamer, so maybe just 5 or so games on each SD card at a time? I don't have that much time to play anyway.

3) Let's say somewhere down the line, I realise that either flashcart is way too small for me and I want to upgrade. Will it be a hassle? Do I have to do any flashing again? Or can I just copy all the contents from the old SD card to the new SD card and plug it back in and I'm good to go? Just to confirm, this question is in regard to both SD cards (both the one in the system and in the flashcart).

Thanks!
I'm going to assume you're talking about a DS mode flashcart, which only allows you to run DS games

1) Yes there are two SD cards, one goes into the flashcart and stores DS games, while the other goes into the console itself and stores 2DS/3DS games (they're actually the same)

2) Size can vary greatly for DS games, it can range from 32MB up to 256MB, but you can trim DS roms using NdsTokyoTrim to get at least some space back. Most of the more popular games are going to occupy around 64-128MB after trimming. Meanwhile, 3DS games installed on the system can be anywhere from 128MB to even a few gigabytes (like Smash and MH4U).
Regarding the SD cards you have, yes, I'd say using the 4GB SD for DS games and using the 16GB card on the console is the best thing to do

3) Yes when updating you can simply copy-paste all files from one SD to the other, the only thing you need to keep in mind is that if you get an SD card that's 64GB or bigger you first need to format it using guiformat (don't use the formatting tool built in into Windows)

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

3dsdude21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to assume you're talking about a DS mode flashcart, which only allows you to run DS games

1) Yes there are two SD cards, one goes into the flashcart and stores DS games, while the other goes into the console itself and stores 2DS/3DS games (they're actually the same)

2) Size can vary greatly for DS games, it can range from 32MB up to 256MB, but you can trim DS roms using NdsTokyoTrim to get at least some space back. Most of the more popular games are going to occupy around 64-128MB after trimming. Meanwhile, 3DS games installed on the system can be anywhere from 128MB to even a few gigabytes (like Smash and MH4U).
Regarding the SD cards you have, yes, I'd say using the 4GB SD for DS games and using the 16GB card on the console is the best thing to do

3) Yes when updating you can simply copy-paste all files from one SD to the other, the only thing you need to keep in mind is that if you get an SD card that's 64GB or bigger you first need to format it using guiformat (don't use the formatting tool built in into Windows)

Thank you for the detailed response. Can I just check something in regards to your reply for 2?

Am I correct to say that DS roms are usually downloaded over the computer, while 3DS roms are downloaded using the DS using freeshop?

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for the detailed response. Can I just check something in regards to your reply for 2?

Am I correct to say that DS roms are usually downloaded over the computer, while 3DS roms are downloaded using the DS using freeshop?
FreeShop is long dead, so it's now back to the same method as homebrews, that means getting the cia file and installing it with FBI

3dsdude21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FreeShop is long dead, so it's now back to the same method as homebrews, that means getting the cia file and installing it with FBI
I see, I'm not very familiar with the process, but basically it is done through the 2 / 3ds right? I'll probably have to go along with it and figure it out when I finally manage to cfw it, been sitting on it for too long.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see, I'm not very familiar with the process, but basically it is done through the 2 / 3ds right? I'll probably have to go along with it and figure it out when I finally manage to cfw it, been sitting on it for too long.
You download the cia file on the computer, then copy it to the 3DS SD card and install it with FBI (you'll familiarize with FBI once you actually get to installing CFW)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...