Gaming Heartgold Backup Memory has Failed

NintenDavid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to save in Heartgold, it says the following: "Error saving data. Backup memory has failed. The game may be played but it will be impossible to save. Please turn off power." Please help. I know for a fact that my copy is a legitimate copy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be surprising to see Flash memory fail at this point (number of write cycles wise it would be impressive if you got it at launch, played it all the time and saved every second for it to have gone at this point) but it is not impossible -- things randomly die all the time.

I will note that this was one of the titles to come with the pokewalker and I don't know how reliable that selector chip is, bonus though if it is that then you can bypass it (at the cost of the pokewalker) -- before the various save dumping tools were remade to account for this then people took to bypassing the selection chip with a wire, will have to search for one of those threads to cover what would need doing.

Before going down those paths I assume other games save OK. Also that you have tried cleaning the pins of the cart. If you can then trying to save in another device would be nice to test.

NintenDavid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be surprising to see Flash memory fail at this point (number of write cycles wise it would be impressive if you got it at launch, played it all the time and saved every second for it to have gone at this point) but it is not impossible -- things randomly die all the time.

I will note that this was one of the titles to come with the pokewalker and I don't know how reliable that selector chip is, bonus though if it is that then you can bypass it (at the cost of the pokewalker) -- before the various save dumping tools were remade to account for this then people took to bypassing the selection chip with a wire, will have to search for one of those threads to cover what would need doing.

Before going down those paths I assume other games save OK. Also that you have tried cleaning the pins of the cart. If you can then trying to save in another device would be nice to test.

So does the Up+Select+B to delete save date not work on backup memory?

Last edited by NintenDavid,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you understand. You may have cleared your backup memory with the Up+Select+B combo but now you game cannot save. You can't write new save data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free