• Speakers

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Depends on your budget. Generally speaking if you want the most for your money (best sounds) I'd recommend headphones. But if you're okay paying a little more, then there's the option of getting nice speakers (or even nicer headphones).

I made the same decision just recently. I decided to get headphones because of the superior sound quality compared to similarly priced speakers, as well as not wanting to disturb neighbours... oh, and since it's for gaming I wanted either surround sound, or good stereo, for improved sound localization. Headphones were easier, didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up 5 speakers in my room.

So, it depends on what you need them for. I went with a pair of Sennheiser's HD 558s, which are great for their price. I'm not using an amp, so I felt that this was the right price point and quality to invest in.

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Haha, of course not! I recommend you look at any of Sennheiser's headphones, they are "audiophile" quality, yet they are very suitable for those who aren't as... audio-savvy. And the more you pay, the better the quality is going to be, so it's up to you. If you ​really ​don't mind budget, you can get the best... which would be $1,500 for a pair of HD 800's.

There are also other brands, such as Grado, AKG, etc. (someone else can give a more comprehensive list, I'm not an expert) that create equally fantastic products, but Sennheiser is my personal recommendation because:
A) They are easy to find (a lot of stores carry them)
B) They are very consistent in creating great priced quality headphones
C) Great customer service
D) Good range of products for different needs
E) Comfy...

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I don't have speakers on my new PC and I've had to use headphones since I bought it in August.

It's pretty damn annoying. I can't wait until I gather some money and buy a nice pair of speakers.

andre0407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If you have a Bose or Bang and Olufsen store near you, go ahead and ask the store assistants for recommendations. I have seen a friend's pair of big column stereo speakers that are really powerful and damn nice to have around when watching a movie, and his is a pair of B&Os. Exactly which model I can't recall, apart for that it is black and have 2 cans in each speaker.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I use Sennheiser headphones myself in daily life, and for my PC I just use the integrated audio of my TV-Monitor. If I ever need to be quiet (e.g. at night), I plug the headphones into the side of the monitor.

Using speakers are better comfort-wise, but a lot more hassle to set up and it can disturb the neighbours. Using headphones gives superior quality (in most cases) and are relatively quiet for those around you, but you have to take into account comfort (some can't stand wearing headphones for more than an hour at a time). Pricing is pretty much the same on both.

CustomPC recommendations: Sound Card, Asus Xonar DX (£54). 2.1 speakers, Corsair SP2500 (£182). 5.1 speakers, Logitech Z-5500 (£159, after a £181 price drop recently). Headset, Asus Vulcan ANC (£80). Current exchange rate for £ to € is 1.145 (although European electronics is somewhat more expensive anyway).

EDIT: I've heard a lot of bad things about BOSE, although all I know about them is they have some stupidly expensive headphones (that I've seen in shops). I'd recommend Sennheiser - they have much more positive reviews.

Reactions: 1 person

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bose is pretty much all-brand no quality for from what I've heard, but I am not really in the position for saying any of that because I have not (yet) tried one of their products.
I do, however, recommend headphones just because they usually have awesome quality. I got mine (Fatal1ty Headset thingie, audio jack version, not USB) for 30 bucks and I love them.

andre0407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
EDIT: I've heard a lot of bad things about BOSE, although all I know about them is they have some stupidly expensive headphones (that I've seen in shops). I'd recommend Sennheiser - they have much more positive reviews.

Oh yes, I agree with Sennheiser for head and earphones; they make some nice in- ear monitors, too.
But that's an interesting take on Bose- where I live, they don't seem to garner much bad comments. Though you are absolutely right about them being very pricey! :biggrin:

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A good speaker set gives presence to sound that earphone can't give.
I have a pair of Sennheiser cx-300 (in-ear - noise cancelling), but I only use them with my computer when it's really noisy, otherwise I prefer the sound and the presence of my speakers.

ShinyJellicent12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ONLY reason I put speakers is because I'm fed up with my headphones.
BOTH of them don't work.
One side works for one pair
The other side works for the other pair.
It's so annoying.
Now, they're unresponsive all together.
That's why I chose speakers -_______________-

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I use over-ear headphones, and they're my preferred type of sound output (well, they're less obtrusive than speakers and deliver much better sound quality/comfort than any other type of headphone/earphone/earbud).

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get yourself some KRK Rokit 6 speakers. They are perfectly matched high and low and with a relativly okay price range. They are near field though, so positioning is slightly important.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Speakers are amazing when you are alone in your own home, but headsets pretty much win everywhere else. I would go for the over-ear headset since I liked listening to my music through my gaming headset but its really loud for some reason when I take them off.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Headphones.
Better sound quality, and more personal. Just gotta shell out for a decent pair.

Speakers are cute and nice for company, but are shit compared to a good headset.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.