[Headphone jack] What's with all the apple hate?

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather use "NSA infected device" rather than wear tin foil hat and use hardware I paid twice the price.
I guess that's your choice. One company makes profits by selling the best devices they can make, paired with the most secure software they can come up with. Other companies subsidize the purchase price with data collection agreements, bloatware, and inferior build quality.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I guess that's your choice.
It is indeed,
One company makes profits by selling the best devices they can make, paired with the most secure software they can come up with.
That works for both, honestly.
Other companies subsidize the purchase price with data collection agreements
Both do that.
bloatware
Both do that.
inferior build quality.
Again, both do that.

The only difference here, is that one will sell full price, and the other will sell at resonable price. One of them allows full customizations, that means, bye bye bloat. I chose whoever did it better.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess that's your choice. One company makes profits by selling the best devices they can make, paired with the most secure software they can come up with. Other companies subsidize the purchase price with data collection agreements, bloatware, and inferior build quality.
If you were looking for "most secure software" without "data collection" or "bloatware", you'd be using an older ThinkPad with Coreboot and Linux. (Or one of the BSDs, though last I checked the BSDs still had issues with Coreboot due to reliance on BIOS functionality.)

Speaking of which, I'm looking into installing Coreboot on my X230 and X60s. Probably the X60s first, since it doesn't require a hardware flasher.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +BSD

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's cheaper to make than to expect people to use bluetooth headphones.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The majority of headphones are constrained by the amount of money people are willing to invest in audio equipment.
Neither of these statements change anything. Something isn't obsolete if it's what most people use. Until something else (bluetooth or otherwise) is adopted as the new standard, audio jacks won't be obsolete. I won't use bluetooth because the quality is lower and you have to charge the headphones. I want to be able to use my headphones at any point.

And as for how long ago it was invented, that doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure the wheel isn't obsolete. :lol:

Personally, I think it was stupid to remove the audio jack. It was stupid when some Androids did it (probably where Apple got the idea). But if some people don't mind, that's fine. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Please Please Please tell me about the third-party software Apple has included on its devices to subsidize the price.
Please tell me how this is even relevent. We were talking about hardware price as far as i could tell. third party apps are optional, and can be disabled anyway.

I will rather pay $300 for a phone with "bloat I can disable" instead of $600 for the same shit but totally locked from minimal change that isn't a jailbreak :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Guys, this isn't an iPhone vs Android argument. Three Androids removed the headphone jack first. The OS has nothing to do with it.
Exactly.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please Please Please tell me about the third-party software Apple has included on its devices to subsidize the price.
This is completely unrelated, but I've been looking for an Apple Expert® to point me in the right direction for implementing my rom-properties shell extension on Mac OS X. Is there an equivalent to Windows' IThumbnailProvider and IShellPropSheetExt on Mac OS, and if so, do you have links to the documentation?

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is completely unrelated, but I've been looking for an Apple Expert® to point me in the right direction for implementing my rom-properties shell extension on Mac OS X. Is there an equivalent to Windows' IThumbnailProvider and IShellPropSheetExt on Mac OS, and if so, do you have links to the documentation?

Apple chooses not to bog down Finder with such inane customizations

Not unrelated to the fact that iOS won't allow always-on widgets to drain your already severely constrained mobile resources

Last edited by amoulton,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why no one uses Mac OS for any serious work. You also don't seem to know that much about your own OS, which is quite amusing, or what shell extensions are in general.

I'm rather surprised that you're admitting Mac OS doesn't have an equivalent to IThumbnailProvider, because that means it's impossible to add preview support for new image formats.

For reference, this is the shell extension I'm working on:
rp.2017-03-25.af71363f.Nintendo3DS.png

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why no one uses Mac OS for any serious work. You also don't seem to know that much about your own OS, which is quite amusing.

I'm pretty sure you can still do that (dunno about the technical side of it yet though). at the very least you've got quick look plugins.

lil-g-gamegenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not unrelated to the fact that iOS won't allow always-on widgets to drain your already severely constrained mobile resources
What's wrong with allowing options? If someone wants to add functionality that not a lot of people use then why "not allow" it?

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why no one uses Mac OS for any serious work. You also don't seem to know that much about your own OS, which is quite amusing, or what shell extensions are in general.

I'm rather surprised that you're admitting Mac OS doesn't have an equivalent to IThumbnailProvider, because that means it's impossible to add preview support for new image formats.

Cool. Finder treats all files like dumb pieces of data because that's what Finder is for, manipulating files, not finding out details about the contents. You can feel free to write your own app for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: