HDTV versus Standard TV?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally if I was you I would go to a shop and view the TV in work. I've seen quite a few with blockly picturing.

I've noticed that with my HDTV when viewing normal channels. Some look worse than others for some reason. I've found with my 26" HDTV though the closer your sat to it the more you can see the blocks. This is one reason I'm glad I never got a bigger tv because the distance I'm sat from it you don't notice much. If you are recieving HDTV channels though their won't be any blocks at all.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Personally if I was you I would go to a shop and view the TV in work. I've seen quite a few with blockly picturing.
Aye, which is unfortuante, since most of the HDTVs I've been interested in price-wise are online only. Which means I'll never get a chance to view'em before I buy.

And just for the record, I won't be doing alot of PC gaming, most of the gaming I mentioned would be console-based. As I plan to hook up my PC, consoles, and whatever else all to the HDTV that I'll eventually purchase, in my room. I've found a few seemingly okay alternatives. But most of them are a bit more expensive.

gbtemp111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
in that case, just go to local stores and check out the different display technologies yourself. they all have their pros and cons. also, playing 480i/p consoles on an LCD set isn't going to look pretty at all, or on pretty much any HD set(but some handle SD better than others). for xbox 360/pc/ps3 it will be solid.

QUOTE said:
low-price hd-tvs have the wrong resolution: they have 13??x768 which is not the correct hd-resolution (1280x720). they scale hd-content up to this resolution and so the picture quality won't be very good 'cause you don't have pixel-on-pixel. it's like with a notebook-screen: work in the native resolution or the picturequality is shitty.

That WXGA 1366x768 resolution isn't so bad, especially with pc connectivity(you'll be able to give it 1:1 1024x768 with side bars, or 1366x768 full), and when receiving 1080i/p sources, those extra pixels are welcome.
not that there are that many more pixels than 720p! the upscale isn't at all noticeable, and this is the resolution all, cheap and expensive, non 1080p LCD tvs have.

QUOTEwhy not get a normal wide-screen 32"+ flat picture with 100Hz that rocks! i've only seen TWO "HD-TV's" with quality that matches even a STANDARD TV!!! and that one was like 42" $5000 two or three weeks ago

you mean color quality wise, right? yeah, the tubes still have that down compared to most HD sets. also, there are 100hz CRT hdtvs out there? i thought they were all 60hz.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Aye, well, it will be good for the Wii, 360, and PS3, which is the main reason I want an HDTV. People keep going on about 1080i this and that, with widescreen and all the fancy doo-dads and gizmos. And I want in on that. I want to pick up my Wii, Zelda: TP, and play it in all it's widescreen glory (even though it's apparently 4:3 as well). From a technical standpoint I don't really need an HDTV. But this the HD-gaming era, and I as I said before... I want in. Also I need a TV for my room since my PC and monitor don't have built-in TV... dealies, and I don't really feel like purchasing and installing a special card and software, only to watch TV on my average sized LCD monitor (which I wouldn't be able to hook up my game systems to via component cables).

I'm also trying to get my mom to scrap the cable service, and move to satellite. You may think to yourself, where's the downside, why wouldn't she want it? Better quality picture, more channels, and in comparison to standard cable it's a pretty even price point. Well, my mom's old fashioned, she thinks she wouldn't be able to work satellite. Which may very well be true, since she can't even access e-mail. But still, it would be the better choice. Anyways, HD movie formats, HD gaming, a strong dislike of black bars on movies and/or games, and a need for a monitor/TV in my room all add up to one thing: an LCD HDTV.

I seem to be narrowing down my choices, but all the prices are higher than the model I originally wanted to buy, and still do. And for the record, I'm not sure what kind of response that model has. It needs to be 8ms or less, or I can't buy it. Bah, this shouldn't be so complicated. And in reply to an earlier comment, while it's true that a TV is a major purchase and should be a good one (basically, spare no expense), it's also true that the prices are outrageous. In a world where I could end up paying more for a TV than I would for a motorcycle, you know something's not right.

dEC0DED

Trophies
Website
www.visualdecibel.com
XP
Country
Canada
have a toshiba dlp 62" hdtv and i fuckin love it.

the hdtv sat channels i get are sooo worth watching. sports are amazing. i'd never go see a game live again now lol. it's too realistic at home and the camera angels are unbeatable. fuck the cold ass stands.

also for movies it's great. spend the money on a good progressive scan dvd player though. money does make a difference. same goes with cable.

peace!

-decoded

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
So would something like this not be worth getting then?
unsure.gif

I'd mostly be using standard def stuff on it like the Wii, digital TV and DVDs.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Aye, well, it will be good for the Wii, 360, and PS3, which is the main reason I want an HDTV. People keep going on about 1080i this and that, with widescreen and all the fancy doo-dads and gizmos. And I want in on that. I want to pick up my Wii, Zelda: TP, and play it in all it's widescreen glory (even though it's apparently 4:3 as well). From a technical standpoint I don't really need an HDTV. But this the HD-gaming era, and I as I said before... I want in. Also I need a TV for my room since my PC and monitor don't have built-in TV... dealies, and I don't really feel like purchasing and installing a special card and software, only to watch TV on my average sized LCD monitor (which I wouldn't be able to hook up my game systems to via component cables).

I'm also trying to get my mom to scrap the cable service, and move to satellite. You may think to yourself, where's the downside, why wouldn't she want it? Better quality picture, more channels, and in comparison to standard cable it's a pretty even price point. Well, my mom's old fashioned, she thinks she wouldn't be able to work satellite. Which may very well be true, since she can't even access e-mail. But still, it would be the better choice. Anyways, HD movie formats, HD gaming, a strong dislike of black bars on movies and/or games, and a need for a monitor/TV in my room all add up to one thing: an LCD HDTV.

I seem to be narrowing down my choices, but all the prices are higher than the model I originally wanted to buy, and still do. And for the record, I'm not sure what kind of response that model has. It needs to be 8ms or less, or I can't buy it. Bah, this shouldn't be so complicated. And in reply to an earlier comment, while it's true that a TV is a major purchase and should be a good one (basically, spare no expense), it's also true that the prices are outrageous. In a world where I could end up paying more for a TV than I would for a motorcycle, you know something's not right.

You know you almost conviced me to buy an HD tv now.
I was thinking the last time I upgraded my TV was when the first Metroid Prime came out, and I was so much looking for it that I decided to buy a 27" Sony Triniton a few days before the game got actually released, in order to play it and appreciate all it's beauty.
However I've seen the GC in action on an HDtv at the Nintendo store, and I think if the Wii looks even better then that then I'm sold.
Besides my PC is constantly connected to my TV trough an s-video cable and I play Mame games and lots of other emulators on my TV, as well as whatching live-straming intenet TV from my couch.
With a better TV set, I will be able to do all those things and actully even read the small fonts on my PC desktop, whithout the need to switch between TV an monitor in order to adjust settings.
And Zelda deserves to be played on a better TV as much as Metroid did, besides Metroid 3 seem to be around the corner as well...

Only thing you talk a lot about LCD HD tv, I am not too sure it's a good idea (at least for my needs) as I use a lot of custom resolutions and also I am scared about response times and blurry images.
I think I will shop around for a good solution, but defently it has to happen before November 19th !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.