HD questions for USB loaders

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CyborgLizard, Jun 28, 2010.

Jun 28, 2010
  1. CyborgLizard
    OP

Newcomer CyborgLizard Advanced Member

United States
    I have been having trouble playing iso game files from a HD. I used wbfs manager to put an iso on it. What is weird is that despite the size being over 4 gigs on my computer, when wbfs manager puts it on the HD it is only half a gig. Anyways, I tried using Uloader and usb loader gx and it has not been working, the game wont start wih loadergx, and Uloader wont even recognize my HD.

Also having trouble installing wads on the HD. I am using just another wad installer.

Perhaps it has to do with the partitions of my drive? I have been looking around but is there a guide on how to partition a drive? or even split on up?

2. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I'm guessing you have a FAT drive. I have semi used a bunch of loaders with a FAT(32) drive and the best luck I had was cfg loader. With that in mind, we need to use a CIOS that has FAT support implemented in it to load games. The best CIOS are Hermes v4 and v5 or CIOSX rev 19. USB loader gx does not have the newest CIOS implementations in it and may have problems trying to load FAT drives with newer CIOS revs.

Secondly is folder set up. 1:1 iso rips are 4 gigabytes. Wii game developers have to occupy all the disk space so the common 1:1 iso file is approximately 4.6 gigabytes. Now, when extracting that into .wbfs format, it is scrubbed hence you got a smaller size. If you are using a FAT 32 drive, sometimes the files are split given the 4gb size limitation on FAT32 drives. However, it's normal if you get smaller files from isos [​IMG] Make sure iso files that are extracted to wbfs are placed in a wbfs folder located on the root of your FAT drive. Then everything should work [​IMG]

3. CyborgLizard
    OP

United States
    Yeah I think it is a fat drive. I formatted it with windows 7 to FAT32 then I used wbfs manager to format it again to some special format (not sure but it said i must do that). then I threw an iso in it and tried using USB loader GX.

So what your saying is if i install CIOSX rev 19, usb loader gx would run my game? or should i just use cfg loader?

4. DownSince86

Newcomer DownSince86 Advanced Member

United States
    Your drive is not FAT32, it is WBFS.

Reformat it to FAT32 and use wii game manager or any other program that supports converting .iso files to .wbfs format.

I recommend FAT32 over WBFS because you can store more than just Wii games on the drive. There are many other reasons to go with FAT32 but I won't get into them, do your own research.

Also note that your HDD just might not be compatible at the moment.

5. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I have had bad luck trying to use the newer revs with USB gx, I would stick with cfg if you are going to use FAT drives

6. DarkeoX

Newcomer DarkeoX Advanced Member

France
    Try these steps, assuming you have a copy of all the ISOs that are stored on the wbfs partition, and that you have the latest cIOSs :

- Download and install (freeware) this .
    - Download and install some Wii Games Manager (i've always used WBFS Man, no problem so far).
    - Launch EPM, delete your WBFS partition.
    - Create a new partition (with the new unalocated space).
    - Choose the size of the new partition. This will determine how much space you want to use for the games. If you want to use the WHOLE HDD, then you should have deleted ALL the partitions at the step before.
    - Fill the fields as below :
    * Partition Label : whatever you want, you can also let it empty
    * Create as : Primary
    * File System : Unformatted
    * Drive Letter : whatever you want ( It won't display those allready in use, thought... )
    * Cluster Size : It does NOT even exist ! (Which means don't touch [​IMG] )
    - Just leave the size options unless you want to change something (it's clear enough for not having to explain.)
    - "OK" --> "Apply"
    - Once all the pending operations are done, leave EPM and launch your Game Manager. Windows should be saying that a new drive have been detected and that it wants to format the drive. Of course, refuse. Now in your game manager, format the drive owning the letter/label you choosed for your game partition.
    - Transfer an ISO on the partition, test (especially with the cfg USB Loader), and report.

7. CyborgLizard
    OP

United States

Okay, I JUST got my 1TB HD today so I will try this out and let you know how it goes.

8. CyborgLizard
    OP

United States
    On another note, I used a program to turn my .iso into a .wbfs and put it on a root folder "wbfs" on my HD and tried to run it with USB loader gx and Uload, but they keep saying that i do not have a wbfs partition and there is nothing to load.

I thought the whole point of converting to .wbfs was so you did not need to partition any drives and could just put the files on a normal HD....

9. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Try a different loader ( cfg ? ) and make sure they're in USB:/wbfs/GAMEID.wbfs.

10. CyborgLizard
    OP

United States
    I tried uloader, cfg loader, loader gx, and none of them work when I put the game into usb:/wbs ... the loaders keep saying there is no wbfs partition...