JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Just to thow in my two cents, MMM is horrible (not quite as bad as PMW but close). If you have to use something, use dop-Mii.
HA!! Dop-Mii is by far more dangerous than MMM. It installs stubs, and is very unstable. It bricked my Wii when I was just trying to install the SM. It failed half way through.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HA!! Dop-Mii is by far more dangerous than MMM. It installs stubs, and is very unstable. It bricked my Wii when I was just trying to install the HBC. It failed half way through.
Huh? What's DOP-Mii have to do with installing the Homebrew Channel? Also....I'd say ANYTHING doing these kinds of things to your Wii is potentially dangerous because of the things they are doing, most of the time when people have a problem with one of these utils it's because they're doing something they don't quite understand (like installing a stub over an IOS needed by the system menu). I'm not saying specifically you, I just think that arguing on which is dangerous or not is foolish since either one could be.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HA!! Dop-Mii is by far more dangerous than MMM. It installs stubs, and is very unstable. It bricked my Wii when I was just trying to install the HBC. It failed half way through.
Really, I have never had a crash in dop-Mii. Also, why were you installing HBC through dop-Mii? Not to bash on any of the MMM devs, but I used MMM a while ago and it crashed in the middle of updating the sysmenu, and I had to do a bootmii restore. To be safe, don't use dop-Mii either in that case. Anybody have any complaints about WiiMod?
I just think that arguing on which is dangerous or not is foolish since either one could be.
Not entirely, based on the code quality some of these apps are better than others.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely, based on the code quality some of these apps are better than others.
I...guess? My entire point was that they're like 'oh, this one is dangerous!' and 'that one is dangerous!' when really BOTH are. I felt like I needed to say it because most of the time I've seen someone say "x wii utility bricked my system!!!!111" it's because they themselves screwed up, regardless of what util it was. :) There's not a lot of point in arguing over it at any rate, you know?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd at least like to mention that, at least when it comes to installing WADs, Multi-Mod Manager seems completely stable. I've had absolutely no issues at all, and that's all I ever use it for. Maybe it's BECAUSE my Wii was essentually stock (just HBC + bootmii) that everything has worked out fine? You know, no cIOS and stuff.

Heck that's why I chose to use it in the first place - it didn't seem to require any cIOS for WAD installations. Nonetheless, I always made a bootmii backup before doing anything with MMM.

Anyway, I'm assuming none of the Wii U owners around here are courageous enough to give MMM a whirl?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never said it could. If you read my post at all, you could see that.
I have read and reread your post numerous times. The only way it makes any sense if you are implying that you were installing HBC with dop-Mii, which is something it can't do. I honestly cannot think of any other way to interpret what you wrote, and it seems at least several others have interpreted it the same way. Care to clarify?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have read and reread your post numerous times. The only way it makes any sense if you are implying that you were installing HBC with dop-Mii, which is something it can't do. I honestly cannot think of any other way to interpret what you wrote, and it seems at least several others have interpreted it the same way. Care to clarify?
He said that Dop-Mii was a safe alternative to MMM, and I said Dop-Mii was not at all safe. Then somehow you thought I was talking about the HBC.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea how that happened. I meant to type SM, and thought I did when I looked over it. Maybe one of the staff thought it would be funny to change it, but more likely it was a really stupid typo. I'm taking care of my grandma right now and I'm only half paying attention.

Sorry I was short with you guys. I'm a little grumpy right now.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I was short with you guys. I'm a little grumpy right now.
Totally understand, I have done the same thing on occasion (it is funny how the brain reads what we meant to write instead of what is actually there). My reason for not liking MMM sounds very similar to your reason for not liking dop-mii (IIRC MMM uses the dop-mii code so this isn't really surprising). In general any of this stuff is liable to brick your Wii, especially if you are installing a system menu or system menu IOS.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
This is the first report I've ever heard of installing HBC bricking a wii. I guess TT can take away that perfect record that they hold.

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To drag things back to the topic - anyone tried uninstalling the HBC from the vWii yet? Bearing in mind we have no idea how updates to the Wii U/vWii might be affected by prescence.

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see them updating the vWii anytime soon.
They could throw in tweaks with the Wii U update with no issue. If they decide to, say, update how European models handle 60hz/50hz mode, or any other option/issue a la the Digital Foundry piece on Wii Mode, there could be an `unintended` knock-on effect with unexpected files in unexpected places. Virtually any code update can react in unexpected and unpredictable ways - that's how bricking happens even once in a while with official updates. I doubt they plan to just leave it "as is" forever. If they want to make a tweak or two, they will.
What else could cause them to decide to issue a little tweak to, say, the blocked title list within the next few months? Hmm... let me think...
*Looks at thread title.*
:rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since...