Having trouble blocking Nintendo updates

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by RodrigoDavy, Oct 27, 2015.

1. RodrigoDavy
    OP

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I am currently on 5.5.0 (Sadly the Wii U I bought came in this version), but since I heard there will possibly be a kernel exploit for 5.5.0 I wanted to have a way to block updates.

The thing is I want to block updates without losing internet access. I also would like to use Youtube, so Tubehax DNS is not an option for now.

So I tried blocking Nintendo domains on my TP-Link WR-841N router and, sadly, one of the Nintendo domain name exceed the size limit. F*ck you: nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net

I heard you can also use OpenDNS with parental control, but I heard this method is unsafe since if your IPS use dynamic IP or they decide to change your home IP for some reason you would be f*cked.

So... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Use the parental controls on your router to enter the keyword nus.cdn?

3. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    The parental control on my router only has the option of setting allowed websites for children pc. There's no entry for disallowed or blocked websites :unsure:

4. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I've been using Opendns all along on a Dynamic IP on my wiiu, just need this>https://support.opendns.com/entries...ownload-an-OpenDNS-Dynamic-IP-updater-client-
    and this alongside to keep it in check if your ip does change>https://dnsomatic.com/
    make sure you check the box in the updater settings "send dns o matic updates" and it will always automatically update your ip whenever it changes :) Forgot you do need to setup opendns at first if you have not already done that>https://www.opendns.com/

Last edited by Reecey, Oct 27, 2015
    cvskid and RodrigoDavy like this.
  5. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks, I'll try that

Reecey likes this.
  6. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    RodrigoDavy likes this.
  7. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks! It seems to be working. I guess I need my PC on at all times to make sure my IP gets updated. If I turn off Standby-Mode there's no risk of updating while my PC is off, right?

8. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013
    Just block mac address on router or simply dont connect to wifi. I use MAC address block and set wiiu to a static ip

9. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    He said he wants to use YouTube = needs WiFi

hashcheck1 likes this.
  10. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    ha ha, fiveighteen's been at the bottle, beer goggles are on and at the ready! you've been busted bud, that's one too many little mistakes in a short period of time!!! :D :grog:

Last edited by Reecey, Oct 28, 2015
  11. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    I wish :grog:What mistake did I make here? lol. RodrigoDavy said "I want to block updates without losing internet access" and hashcheck1 was suggesting "simply dont connect to wifi" ... that wasn't a good suggestion :P