Having to use floppy disks again

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Apr 12, 2009.

Apr 12, 2009
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Recently I bought a SNES copier to play SNES roms but the thing needs floppy disks to transfer the roms. The problem is that the floppy disks I formatted on my windows XP via USB floppy drive refuses to work on it so my option is to either get out and try and find an authentic old PC with the floppy drive built in and probably older windows to format it or is there an easy way of getting Windows 98 to run within XP?

2. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1.
    Done.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    try a linux live CD

the snes copier is supposed to take HD floppy disks though right? some older equipment will only work with DD disks

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    ALL the floppies I have HD. There is an option in the SNES copier to format the floppy within the device to make it work but the second I put it into my USB Floppy Drive it gives a, "disk not recognized" error message which is kinda why I'm now thinking of seeing if Windows 98 is the only way it can read it.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Downloading it now. I take it I need the Windows 98 ISO as well?

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It could be your floppy drive for the pc is knackered or the other way around. I format my floppies on XP and they read in the SuperUFO without a problem. Have you got an original cartridge? Format a disk on the copier and rip the cartridge to disk, if it still gives an error then the drive in the copier is knackered.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Formatted a floppy in the Game Doctor SF7. Then I put in a copy of Super Mario World. Ripped perfectly and had the file on the floppy. Put it into my PC USB floppy drive and gave the, "DISK NOT RECOGNIZED" error which means that I can rule out having to buy a new floppy drive for the copier.

8. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's got to be the pc drive then. That sucks but at least it's not the copier itself that's shagged. Do you know anyone with a USB floppy drive yu could borrow just to rule it out?

9. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I used to have a USB floppy drive... then it dies today. I'm really hoping that buying a new one is enough to get it to work on the SNES copier. But is there anything different about a floppy formatted in 98 and XP. If so, will Virtual PC format it different?

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I thought virtual PC cant read usb devices?

anyway if you just get a regular floppy drive they are only like $5 or less

11. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    As far as I know there's no difference between a 98 and XP formatted floppy so buying a new drive should be enough. XP reads the disks I format in the copier with no hassles and vice versa anyway. The only thing I can't get XP to do is read the 1.6M formatted floppies from the copier. I've got software for it that's supposed to work with them but I could never get it to, might be my floppy drive tho. Have you got SNESTool so you can remove country checks and simple copy protections? If you don't then let me know and I'll send it to you.

12. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Nah, I use Ucon64. I really wonder if the problem was my crap USB floppy drive and if I needed an actual ancient PC with the floppy drive built in. Either way, I still had to fork out some money for a new USB floppy drive from ebay and I'm now phoning up people to see if they have a old PC they can give to me.

13. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Virtualbox can do USB, it is overall better than Virtual PC and is free-er (OSS).

14. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Well, after all the time setting up virtualbox and getting a Windows 98 ISO, I finally find out that the read that the SNES copier can't read floppy was actually due to the USB floppy drive which I replaced with a new one and it actually loads SNES roms without a hitch like it's suppose to. Now I have a different question for those that own a SNES copier such as a Game Doctor SF7. Why is it that if I pull the plug off the copier, the game loaded on the copier gets deleted?

15. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    well I guess the copier copies the ROM into it's RAM, which loses all data if it loses power.

16. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    The battery in the copier has died, the battery for the saves is also used to keep the data in the copiers ram. If you replace it then it should keep the game stored in the copier after being unplugged. They're usually just a standard CR2032 battery.