Having slight errors with the Windows command prompt

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Something I never really looked into since getting windows 7 a few years ago, the only way I can run certain command lines is if I go to right click on the cmd application and choose run as administrator.

For example,

If I try running ipconfig /all without running as administrator, I would get 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    If I try running ipconfig /all with running as administrator, it would work as expected.

Similar other commands such as netstat all behave the same way but commands such as rename, cd, work as intended.

I ensured that my local account was in the administrator security group. To even be more sure, I enabled the in-built administrator account and it still has the same behavior.

Any ideas?

The only other thing I can think of is that the files for these are inside a folder that my account does not pass with the security settings, but I don't know where the files for ipconfig or netstat or any other one is stored in my computer.

Thanks

edit:
    A quick computer search found netstat, ipconfig, etc... in system32, but I can't modify their security permissions with even the in-built administrator account.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's UAC IIRC.

If you don't want to fiddle with that, you can use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to run stuff from the start menu with admin rights (like typing CMD and pressing it).

3. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look more into it! I'll have to adjust some habits when running the command prompt on my computer. The other windows 7 computers I use don't necessarily have this issue. I even did the $30 windows home premium ---> professional student upgrade to see if that corrects it. It didn't really do anything, but I got a nice amount of editions to the security group and some network tools I'll probably not use lol

4. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Hey everyone who is interested such as Rydian,

I figured out the problem. The PATH environment variable was set to some nvidia folder in program files. I am not sure why it got changed that way, but it was supposed to be C:\windows\system32\

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    o_o wow. I would never in my wildest dreams even think to check the PATH variable, even for an issue relating to the command-line. That just seems like such a random place for an issue to crop up. Kudos to you for figuring it out, and I'm adding that to my regular list of things to check when troubleshooting a device.

(I'm seriously curious, how on EARTH did you figure out it was the PATH variable? I mean, the only reason I even know that the PATH variable exists is because of potential installation errors with various GBA and DS development utilities)

6. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Google searches lol.

Whenever I tried googling something like 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file the only responses I saw were like "You are missing the ipconfig, netstat, etc.. command files". Using the windows 7 searches earlier I found all of these to be in the system32 folder. So I was trying to find a way to change the default location where windows locates these command files and found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

When I changed it back to the default value, since the previous one was associated with Nvidia (and the only software I have from them are the display control panel and graphics drivers) I did a re-installation of those to make sure I wouldn't get any errors and it didn't change the environment variable from the system32 folder. So I'm not sure what had changed it's default folder but it seems to work fine now.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Oh, I misread your error messages, my bad.

8. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Well it ran perfect under administrator mode (I wonder if the environment variables are default under administrator mode) which made me think that the security permissions for the files were denied for my account, but the security settings indicated otherwise and they were unchangable.