Have an X-rom and looking for a second cart.

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by knocturnal, Aug 22, 2007.

Aug 22, 2007
  1. knocturnal
    OP

Member knocturnal GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a X-ROM 512Mbit Kit and I love it, my only gripes are minor ones (the gui is as bland as you can get and it takes a solid 22 minutes of you want to flash the entire cart) but other than those two complaints the card is perfect and has never failed me. With that said I am looking to add a second GBA flash cart to my collection and I wanted some suggestions on what to get. I want one that can do everything the X-rom can do plus more (Read the GBATEMP review found here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=17573 for more info), if it also has retail cart (single cart emulation ) for GBA to DS connectivity like the X-rom can do then that is a nice plus as well. Easybuy stopped selling xroms over a year ago and they are hard to find.

I already have an M3 simply for the DS and I am mainly looking for one that is pretty much GBA specific since I plan on using it mainly with my GBA and not my ds if I can find a suitable one (X-Rom in my DS and second card in my GBA)

Thanks in Advance for all of your help!

2. dafatkid27

Member dafatkid27 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I loved my xrom, till it died [​IMG]. Still, it lead a good long life.

I just recently got an EZ3, and I enjoy it very much.

3. knocturnal
    OP

United States
    How long did your Xrom last before it died. I got mine about a month or two after they came out I believe (so long ago I can't remember).

4. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mine lasted about 6 months, but once it dies, contiunously replacing the battery was complete hell. so i also went to an EZ3, after trying out G6, and EZFA II. Now i use an EZ4 and EZ3 mainly for GBA.

5. knocturnal
    OP

United States
    Wow I'm lucky, mine is still going strong and i bought mine at least 3 years ago (probably longer). Since I got my m3 I haven't been using my X-rom as much but I plan on getting more into GBA games.

6. dole

Newcomer dole Advanced Member

United States
    My X-Rom lasted about 4 months or so before it died... it was about a month out of warranty, eb2k was sold out and the site admin told me I was basically SOL. [​IMG] I cracked it open and tried replacing the battery, but no luck there, either.

7. Iceman5

Member Iceman5 GBAtemp Fan

...with littlewriter. Use X-rom flasher or x-rom frontend (or even usbcable.exe) and a full flash takes no more than 7-8 minutes which definitley is in the top range among gba flashcarts. It might even be the absolutley fastest cart but i'm not sure. How it is able to accomplish such speeds I do not know, but it may be because of the short and bulky linker.

I have 3 x-roms myself and they are still working perfectly. I don't use them that much anymore though, since I have a DS with R4.