Hacking Has 'N' given up on the wii?

Will Nintendo release a new firmware for the Wii?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
It's been a LONG time since Nintendo released a firmware upgrade for the Wii. With them focusing on a new console do you think that they have stopped their efforts on the Wii or that they might release another firmware update?

I personally doubt it, but lets hear what other people have to say about it.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
besides we bypassed every fw update on the wii with a modified fw or a modified sm installer with in days of a system menu release Ninty is more focused on Project cafe and my guess it will be strrong security like the ps3 "was" the ap on that thing might be too difficult for our current hacking tools

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Leiw said:
I'm guessing they could release v5.0 with the Zelda game.
It seems like that the new Zelda game will end up coming out with the new console, but who REALLY knows.

There were a few games that were meant for the gamecube but came out so late that they made it for the wii instead.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
DigitalDeviant said:
I think Nintendo doesn't care about Wii anymore they've milked that cash cow almost dry, they just don't care.
The Wii's not making as much money as it used to but it's still profitable. If it's profitable, N definitely cares about it. I predict an update within 3 months.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think they wont bother throwing out another firmware update, they'll just put some fancy protection on skyward sword...........which will be quickly patched.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Two things to consider.

• Why the Wii will never get any better.
    Nintendo's obviously aware of this. There's not much else they'd be willing to put in system updates, outside of things requiring service agreements with other parties, which isn't the brightest thing to do when the system is going to be waning soon.
  • I think Nintendo knows they can't beat piracy on the Wii.
    In my opinion they only block some stuff with updates when the publishers raise enough of a stink, so Nintendo can say "Hey look, we're doing stuff to fight piracy!" and appease the shareholders (who don't know it's currently futile).

So I only see a minor update or two until the end of the system, barring stuff for compatibility with a newer one.

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I think they've given up completely but they'll probly release another SM update as a last ditch effort!! lol The Wii is the best hacking system around but u can expect a D3-2 drive (or something of that nature) in the next console that they're working on!! lol But it seems they did something right with the hacked VC games not playing off the SD Card once the Wii is formatted!! lol

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I personally feel that 'N' is so much at a loss if they waste anymore effort towards fighting homebrew and pircay. I doubt that there will ever be another update to the system software. 'N' has nothing possible to gain at this point in trying to do so on what they see as an obsolete console that have been pwned to the max.

I'd love to see 'N' try again just for the fun of it and give XFlak something new to have fun with
biggrin.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
While the developers at Nintendo know the deal, a lot of shareholders don't, a lot of heads of gaming companies don't, and more. Nintendo still wants to look good to these people.
I see what you're saying, but aren't all the share holders caring about the next biggest thing that will create a boom in profits when it comes out instead of an obsolete electronic device that is not making as high of a profit margin anymore?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the other day, they dropped the price of the wii to $150. to me this says that they have stopped production on it, and setup their factories to start making the new wii. the price drop is to make sure that they sell as many of the remaining wiis as possible. every single one nintendo doesnt sell is profit not earned.

if im right and they are devoting their factories now to the new console, then it makes sense that they would do the same for their programmers. it makes more sense to have all available programmers writing software for the next console than to waste any resources by having them write and software for the 5yr old console.

they might have some code already written and sitting on a computer somewhere in nintendo HQ that they can push as an update, but i doubt they will be writing anything new.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there really is nothing to add, so i voted no. they are at a stalemate.

if they were smart they would add usb loading as an official method and started selling nintendo branded usb HDD at 30% markup. that would be a cool way for the wii to go out. final update enables usb loading.

on a side note, it annoys me that these companies don't include this with their systems. i understand the reason behind it, discs have a lifespan, so they are more profitable. i would probably buy some games if i could copy them to hdd and play. on second thought, nah i probably wouldn't. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night