Hacking Has anyone tried to Hex edit an NES rom into an rpx file to add a larger game?

JohnathanMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it would be possible to Hex edit a large (let's say 2MB) NES rom in to a 512kb, for example, rpx file to see if that would work? The normal methods say that the rom is too big and won't even attempt to inject it. I am not sure where to start with this but see the attachment for Dr. Mario's rpx file. Is that where the rom actually starts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by JohnathanMonkey,

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
The wii u doesn't have real NES hardware so it has to emulate the game, I'm not sure about the NES VC but every other VC the rpx just starts the emulator and launches the rom from /content so there should be no need to touch the rpx for NES VC titles either

D

Deleted User

The wii u doesn't have real NES hardware so it has to emulate the game, I'm not sure about the NES VC but every other VC the rpx just starts the emulator and launches the rom from /content so there should be no need to touch the rpx for NES VC titles either
NES and SNES Virtual Console titles embed the ROM images inside the RPX itself. The content folder is not used to load ROM images.

JohnathanMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a base rom that is a really large one, and you can fit any other rom inside of it.

I Can't find a really big one. The biggest I have found is Earthbound Beginnings and it's not even close. So nobody has tried this then huh? I would try, but I have no idea where to start the injection. Unless the rom starts after the rows of zeros. I will try with a smaller rom to see if that works. If it does, I will try a larger rom.

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
NES and SNES Virtual Console titles embed the ROM images inside the RPX itself. The content folder is not used to load ROM images.
oh thats disapointing, they still waste alot of space too, rom is some max 2MB wii u data manager says it uses 100MB, some padding data alright

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D