Has anyone tried "brushing" a N3DSXL?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bubsy Bobcat, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Bubsy Bobcat
    OP

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    By that I mean has anybody tried purposely scratching up a N3DSXL to give it a brushed metal look to hide other scratches on it? I've been considering doing this to mine since it's gotten some noticeable scratches recently. I remember years ago people used to do this to the metal back of their iPhone since they loved to pick up scratches. The only thing I've tried brushing before is some rev. holo pokemon cards which hid the nasty scratches on them nicely.

2. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Probably not the best idea... I mean if you mess up at all you're gonna end up with a very ugly 3ds... Could you post a pic of the scratches?

3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    At worst, try with a cheap bottom backplate found on eBay or whatever. That's the easiest part to replace on a New 3DS XL so even if it ends up looking like shit, you'll still be able to put your old backplate on. But if it ends up looking good then go for the rest :D

4. Bubsy Bobcat
    OP

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    ^EAED3BA88A2703783B699AA93B09BDF5730FCB0EF81ABBA361^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    My phone managed to pick up a few of the scratches (including the worst one) and some dust lmao. (The black tape on there is to cover up the bad scratch until I do something about it)

5. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    ouch... That's pretty bad, but like @Hayleia said you could test it out on a cheap nintendo backplate.

6. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Just go the other direction. Pick up a cheap case from Amazon or eBay. I ordered one yesterday for like $4. A rainbow of colors are available. :P

7. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    get a decal? they can look really good, and fix your scratch problem, i got a bad scratch somewhere in the first month since then i got a decal on it, it's amazing.
    IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  8. icecreamcake

icecreamcake GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2016
    Is a decal like a sticker? If so it takes good precision to stick it at the right places. Do you replace it when it gets worn?

9. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Usually decals are made of vinyl and and really good, they can last a lot without any damager (unlike normal stickers).
    I have used them for years on my MacBook and had one my 3DS for about 2 years, and it was still as good as new.

However yes, you have to be very careful while placing them, like a smartphone screen protector.

10. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    i've never replaced it, have it on since i got it, it looks brandnew, no tears nothing. and it took like 10 minuts to install, the glue on it is very good, it holds very tight but can be removed problemless.