Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for your help! I'l look around and see if i can change my wan mac if i can't then I guess I wont be getting streetpasses.

Somebunny

Somebunny is lurking in the shadows...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, that's a lot of activity here since yesterday! Let me try to address as many points as possible.

Some of you have been wondering about the country setting. Well, I initially got 2 MAC addresses to begin with, and the first one didn't work as expected, it beheaved like a "fresh" address - i.e. my first 3DS got nothing, and the second one got the first. Obviously the remote relay didn't quite work as expected. Instead of wasting the second MAC, I tried to figure out what other parameters Nintendo might be looking for. After some googling, I found that hostapd (the Linux SoftAP software) has a field called "country_code", so I thought it would be worth a try. Changed the country code and it worked. Maybe Nintendo does some pre-sorting according to this, since it slightly reduces the work required to browse through a server-side database. Maybe it's just a per-continent thing.

It seems like there is a MAC-based delay of 8 hours, similar to regular StreetPass tags. I would guess that this limit is implemented on the 3DS end of the mechanism; otherwise, a few thousand units sending several requests per minute could possibly bring down Nintendos servers in no time.

I am currently reworking my script used to emulate relay points so that it is more reusable; those of you who have a working Linux system should find some use for it. Since we now have a few additional MAC addresses, I have the opportunity to try a few more things before I post it.

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's a lot of activity here since yesterday! Let me try to address as many points as possible.

It seems like there is a MAC-based delay of 8 hours, similar to regular StreetPass tags. I would guess that this limit is implemented on the 3DS end of the mechanism; otherwise, a few thousand units sending several requests per minute could possibly bring down Nintendos servers in no time.

This seems to be correct as I was the initial seed and couldn't get another pass until 8 hours ish later.

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The "internet port" mac is 40:53:50:4F:4F:46 and my lan port is 00:22:3F:A2:E9:3B. Hope this helps.

I have a netgear aswell, the internet port is not the right one to change.

You have to use the telnetenable.py and then connect via telnet to it and change the mac with ifconfig (I just changed it for all interfaces except the internet port).

Also everyone should use "_The Cloud" and not attwifi just to be sure it doesn't create a 2nd group.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, I think so as well. I tried it this morning (after 7-8 hours) and got a hit from 40:53:50:4F:4F:46 again. If there indeed is a limit, I think it might be better to cycle through a couple MACs.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, I just cycled through a couple MACs from this thread and the google spreadsheet - each one got me a Streetpass hit after a couple seconds to minutes. Gonna change my MAC to 40:53:50:4F:4F:46 again now and wait til the next hit.

Somebunny

Somebunny is lurking in the shadows...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
can someone test this mac adress: 00:eb:2d:d8:62:aa please?

Tested and works. Got your Mii on my first 3DS, and my first Mii on my second 3DS. In fact, I have used this opportunity to test my theory on country codes; sent my second 3DS to US, and still made a contact. Country code myth busted? Needs more teting...

Edit: whoops, got SignZ instead. That's what you get after cycling through too many MACs...

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A guy on Reddit just asked me a good router for this and I think this would help here too. A good choice for a router you can flash with DD-WRT is A Linksys WRT54GL Here's the link for NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 I personally use an older model the WRT54G without the L with DD-WRT, but after like version 5 or 6 of it they made it so you could no longer put DD-WRT on them.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aww crap, I was using "attwifi" instead of "_The Cloud". No wonder I only got a few hits. Oh well it's 4AM here (can't sleep lol) so I'll just go to sleep and wake up later to more streetpasses! :)

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we should set up a network of people using Bestbuy with WPA2, for those of us without moddable routers

I'm just curious to see if we can get it working with just the windows 7/8 softap.

Reactions: DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
we should set up a network of people using Bestbuy with WPA2, for those of us without moddable routers

I'm just curious to see if we can get it working with just the windows 7/8 softap.

Same problem here, guess we'll have to wait until a solution comes up

EDIT: Did someone achieved to change the MAC of a virtual hotspot? If so please make us know and how you did it.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it the accept the Bestbuy nintendo zone, even with a password, I just have no way of spoofing my Mac unless it begins with 02, and many other users will probably have the same issue, so if anyone wants to take the initiative :v

Reactions: DSoryu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢🤮
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good thing I have a vagina
    +1
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    Evil SylverReZ: "GuldRez"
    I always knew you were a Kunt @K3Nv2 :tpi::rofl2:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: