Has anybody else noticed that soft reset compatibility sucks?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by dib, Nov 21, 2008.

1. dib
    OP

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think it mostly involves any game with the Actimagine/Mobiclip video codec, which happens to be a majority considering its distributed with the official SDK.

Anyway, I'm getting black screen freezing on all of these. Is it the same on the AK2 as my RPG?

I wish Acekard would do something about this, they seem to be slacking on all aspects. They're working on selling DSi friendly carts, meanwhile we still haven't even seen old Cyclo features like real time saving.

2. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Have you tried using Gelu's firmware, its ALOT better than the official firmware for AKRPG, and he is constantly fixing soft reset bugs.

3. dib
    OP

United States
    I've been using AIO, but I was under the impression that functions like that were carried over from the official source. AIO just fixes the menus and adds some basic options like sav file naming conventions.

4. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    I haven't played a single game recently that hasn't worked with soft reset...

Though obviously I don't play every single game [​IMG]

5. dib
    OP

United States
    Do they use the video codec at any point, like an intro movie? Are you using an RPG or AK2?

6. mhkwong

Member mhkwong GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i've got both ak2 and RPG, and i swap from one to the other quite often. And i havent notice any softreset problems with any of the new games + a lot of old japanese games.... what loader you been using? I have the latest AIO+official on the ak2 and AIO for the RPG.

dib... wot games are you having trouble with?

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I never saw the point in soft reset.... it doesn't take that long to power off and on the console, and if you are resetting enough for it to be irritating you must be doing something weird.

8. dib
    OP

United States
    Chrono Trigger freezes at the screen where you should press start
    Tomb Raider Underworld (will freeze at end of tutorial mission when FMV should play)
    Ninjatown will freeze when playing an FMV
    Robocalypse will freeze after the splash screens (you guessed it, when an FMV plays)

These are just a few that I have my card at this very moment because I don't feel like going out of my way to list all the games over the past months. Point is, I've made the offhanded observation that they all share the common feature of Mobiclip codec videos. Meanwhile other recent games which do not have FMVs like Disgaea, Call of Duty World at War, EXIT DS, etc and every one works with soft reset.

9. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    dib: I noticed the same thing on several games, never linked it to the video codec though.

Strange that just having the option of soft reset enabled makes the games freeze at a black screen (when you have not even triggered the soft reset).

Thanks for pointing out its the soft reset that stops tomb raider working, I can now enjoy the game [​IMG]

10. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    If you understood how soft reset works, you'd know that it's not surprising it causes atleast a few games to black or white screen on launch.

11. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Granted, I don't know how soft reset works.

Just found it strange that Tomb Raider gets to the end of the first level then freezes.

EDIT
    dib: I'm using an AK2 by the way.

12. dib
    OP

United States
    The funny thing is that it's Tomb Raider Legend that finally made me put two and two together. Most of the games freeze around the intro, which one would figure because if it was going to freeze then it should do so early. But why was TR freezing _after_ playing?

Anyway, hopefully this points toward improving the soft reset around these games, since it seems to work fine with all the non Mobiclip ones that I can recall.

13. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    Hmm...

Both those games work fine with soft-reset enabled on my AK2. (Including the FMVs)

Unless you mean they freeze if you soft-reset at that point, in which case, follow the usual advice and only soft-reset at static menus (where possible).

14. dib
    OP

United States
    Np, freeze with it enabled. So it may be a problem limited to the RPG...