ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anyone seen any changes in 1.8 that warrant moving from 1.7? I 'm sure that the DSTT Team have been hard at work - but is it noticeable? 1.8 has been out for a few days and I'm curious to hear what the vibe is...

ndsdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm aware of the changelog. I'm asking if anyone believes 1.7 is just as stable etc.. In the software world a new version does not always mean better when it comes to stability.

Latest Update
[v1.08] 2008-02-01 NEW
* upgrade information library, up to 1981
* fixed the error of saving for 1981
* case insensitive for save file name
* add switch of brightness (key L)
* add select all switch of cheat (key Y/X)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think common sense will tell you that none of those changes will have a high chance of affecting stability.

You could also maybe, try the firmware? Now theres a thought.

kitetsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If they added an R4/M3/Some-other-user-friendly-interface-style menu system, that would change my life. Finding out that it still only reads .nds images on the root of the SD card and it's still not rearranging files is kinda heartbreaking.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ndsdave, the only noticable difference between 1.07 and 1.08 is the "Ewin" icon that shows up if you have the expansion cart inserted. Version 1.08 seems to be just as stable as 1.07.

kitetsu, one correction: your .nds files can be anywhere on the card, but all are presented in a single list. While I like the design of the TTDS menu overall (I like the files being on the touchscreen and I like using the stylus to navigate files), I agree that its inability to sort the roms is annoying, and it would be nice if it retained folders.

-Bri

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
People are very, very noisy when things go wrong; around here if it's been 4 days and no-ones complained about the update yet then that's a pretty good sign it doesn't break anything
wink.gif
Back up your saves, etc before updating just in case, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.

S

scubersteve

If this were jerry springer, I'd say it ruined my life, killed my mother, and raped my mother.
But in reality, it's better than 1.07 (according to the changelog, that is).
I don't see any problems.
BUT!
I will say this:
YsMenu is much faster for finding ROMs.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd point out that Ultimate Mortal Kombat DS doesn't work with v1.08. There may be other games that are broken as well.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using v1.08 Ultimate Mortal Kombat DS works fine , all my roms work fine so far. No freezing.
I get a double black screen when I try to boot that ROM with v1.08. I did thoroughly troubleshoot it (replace the ROM, remove the .sav file, etc.) and it was going back to v1.07 that got it working again. When you updated to v1.08, did you replace the /TTMenu/infolib.dat file as well? I think that may be the file that contains all of the ROM compatibility information.

kratokrato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i formatted the card before i put v1.08,better to format the card if you want to put new firmware on it.

now i put all my roms in a separate folder, never has a frezzing problem since. I do put moonshell & IPOD player on the root directory...all is working fine.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kratokrato said:
i formatted the card before i put v1.08,better to format the card if you want to put new firmware on it.

Tried that. No dice.

kratokratonow i put all my roms in a separate folder, never has a frezzing problem since. I do put moonshell & IPOD player on the root directory...all is working fine.

Tried that too. UMKDS just doesn't want to work on v1.08 firmware no matter what I do. Maybe they'll fix that in the next firmware update.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both TTMenu or YSMenu read .nds files from anywhere on the card.

TTMenu presents all the .nds files on the card in a single, non-alphabetized list whereas YSMenu shows folders and presents the files in the current folder in alphabetical order.

-Bri

sumpm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TTMenu presents all the .nds files on the card in a single, non-alphabetized list whereas YSMenu shows folders and presents the files in the current folder in alphabetical order.

-Bri

Just for complete clarification:

Wait.... So YSMenu COMPLETELY eliminates the ANNOYING TTMenu behavior of not being able to organize your .nds files into folders????!!!!

If so, then I shall be purchasing a couple TopToys

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can organize your files into folders with YSMenu.

But YSMenu does have a few limitations of its own, most notably that it doesn't (yet) support download play. Luckily, you can use both TTMenu and YSMenu (and you can launch one from the other) by simply making a copy of the TTMENU.DAT file from each and renaming them to something that ends in .nds (I named mine "TTMenu.nds" and "YSMenu.nds"). They will then show up and launch like any other .nds file (you can also use these to go back to the menu from DSOrganize). Of course, you'll need to keep a copy named TTMENU.DAT for whichever you want to be the default menu.

-Bri

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

-Bri

Just for complete clarification:

Wait.... So YSMenu COMPLETELY eliminates the ANNOYING TTMenu behavior of not being able to organize your .nds files into folders????!!!!

If so, then I shall be purchasing a couple TopToys

Put simlpy, YSMENU looks exactly like the R4DS menu. It is even skinable. The only problem is that it does not support DS download play yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: