Hardware/services limited XP profile?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by legendofphil, Nov 26, 2008.

Nov 26, 2008
  1. legendofphil
    OP

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I decided to turn my desktop into a gaming and HTPC, obviously not at the same time.
    I already have a copy of XP MCE (I bought it with my PC) and was thinking about either using the in-built UI or using XBMC for Windows.

I was wondering if I can have a 2nd profile on the machine to limit hardware and services, booting the UI program so the machine boots and acts as quick as possible when a HTPC and runs normally when needed in the other profile?

Due to the positioning of various equipment, I was planning on have the gaming profile set up for my monitor and speakers and then the HTPC profile set up for my TV and surround sound system.

I have a backup plan I just don't want to do it as its a complete waste of space (dual boot XP with another copy of XP).

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  3. legendofphil
    OP

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Thank you, I will have a go at that.
    I don't have all the cables I need yet, probably be over xmas.

4. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Well to make the best of the hardware especially with the HTPC portion of the PC you could use Geexbox on a dual boot, or can even use the live CD (Possibly even a USB stick; although I have never tried it).