Homebrew Question Hardware required to mod Switch

Bobby D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I'm new to modding a Nintendo Switch and wanted to see about putting Hekate/Lakka or Android on my Switch. Main reason is I would like to play some older system ROMs (gba, snes, nds, etc). I've been watching videos and reading threads on how to mod a Switch for this. Is a Payloader required for all of these to work? Or is there something I am able to do with just using an RCM Jig? I did try searching through the open threads but was having trouble finding what I was looking for. If there's a thread to a very beginner guide to doing so I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you in advance

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can start without anything special at all.

You need:
A "Jig" - Something that bridges pin 10 on your right joycon rail with a ground - and the whole rail is grounded, so that's not hard. I've done it using a screwdriver, a piece of wire, a paperclip, tin foil... these methods aren't recommended in the long run though because you can wear out your pins over time, or if you're not careful you can short out something that shouldn't be shorted, so either install AutoRCM or order a proper jig later. You can also take apart a right joycon and bend the pins to make your own "jig."
A MicroSD card - Where you'll store whatever homebrew you're running. Also, every CFW out there requires certain files to be stored on the microSD card.
A "Payload Pusher" - This can be a computer or an android phone with the proper USB-C cable.

So you can easily get started with just a piece of tin foil, a microSD card, a computer, and a USB-C cable. AutoRCM can prevent you from damaging your joycon rail over time, but it may be worth buying a jig and dongle in the long run.

You can find the RCMLoader One for around $10, but shipping will take around a month from China. Or, you can wait for the DragonInjector @MatinatorX has been working on, https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragoninjector-game-cart-payload-injector-trinket-m0-clone.511780/

a7mag3ddon

Trophies
XP
Country
You can also install a Trinket M0 internally so its almost like a cold boot hack, thats what i did last year and love it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: