Hardbrick? Blue led goes off after few seconds

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Lotti86, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Lotti86
    OP

Lotti86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    Italy
    Hi everybody! I attempt to do an hard mod on my new 3ds and it didn't worked. I had blue screen even without soldering the SD adapter to the wires.

I removed the wires and now the nintendo won't boot. The blue led goes on, screens are powered (they're black) and then after 3-5 seconds the blue led go off.

It seems that some internal checks are failing and the console will not boot at all.

While I was reassembly it I inserted a flat cable reversed... (i double checked every connection since this).
    Does it have a real damage (e.g.: reversing that flat cable has damaged something internally) or I can revive it by recheck all the connection and cleaning better the soldering spots?
    This is the cable that i inserted reverse:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Lotti86, Feb 20, 2016
  2. Lotti86
    OP

Lotti86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    Italy
    uh, i also destroyed (not by soldering.. the wire was tugged somehow :\) the alternative CLK point on the other side of the board :\ This shouldn't affect the circuitry.. Am I wrong?

3. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

CLK = Clock. You need to see if you can trace the point, which i don't think you can honestly. I'm going with permabrick on this one. Someone else can chime in

@hundshamer @gamesquest1

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    right well the blue screen at all times is a bad sign this suggests you did something initially that prevented the system booting, generally this error suggests you have messed up the nand points (bridged contacts or torn traces)

next up i'm not sure if putting that cable in the wrong way would do anything other than preventing the console booting until you fix it (at least that's what i would imagine, i havent put it in the wrong way before so can't say for sure)

as for it not booting now, the blue LED then shut down usually suggests the LCD ribbon cables arent in properly (or there is major hardware fault) i suggest you go back and re-check every ribbon cable and ensure they are fully inserted and aligned correctly and double check them for tears/excessive twisting/bends , if you still have no luck i would guess there is something else wrong with it now, possibly down to the cable being inserted wrong or just general bad handling of the board

as always pictures really help in these cases

Last edited by gamesquest1, Feb 20, 2016
  5. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    The fact that you destroyed a test point probably supports the carelessness when soldering case. It's not impossible to accidentally heat up something unintended when you aren't careful with a soldering iron, or if your soldering iron is too cheap and has too large of a tip or isn't temperature controlled.

6. Lotti86
    OP

Lotti86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    Italy
    thanks you all, guys!

7. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    So You Fixed it?

8. Lotti86
    OP

Lotti86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    Italy
    not properly.. i returned it to the store

9. RSA6974

RSA6974 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2011
    United States
    I also have this same problem (blue led) and what's worse is that one of the screws is stripped and screwed tightly I can't unscrew the screw to the motherboard.
    Not worth the trouble to hardmod your 3ds.

Send it to an expert.

10. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Reversing the cable has a chance of shorting some data line to voltage and thus breaking sensitive components on the motherboard, but that seems extremely unlikely. At most probably whatever is connected to the other end of the cable would break.