Hard Drives Bro

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MrCooper, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MrCooper
    OP

MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    United States
    The United States of retard
    Lately prices have skyrocketed on hard drives. I know this is because of all the flooding in Thailand but in all seriousness shouldn't there have been a fallback place so that this wouldn't happen. Just because this has happened I will have to delay my next build. The price went from $1500 before the price rise to over $1700. Any thoughts, concerns, knowledge on when they will drop again, or just plain ranting is excepted here. Also, anyone think it is worth it more to just buy SSDs now?

:glare:

2. junkerde

junkerde Banned

Banned
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    dude its not worth it right now, but wait and see if they have any deals on black friday.

3. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    External hard drives under 1 terabyte didn't jump nearly as much as other stuff, but yes. I was appalled to see a 1.5TB hard drive that was $70 off Newegg in August going for ~$130+ now.

SSD's are great for mobile PC's and for desktop boot drives but not as storage. However, if you're thinking of doing a new build, and are already factoring a BD-R drive into it, you can probably hold off on getting a large internal storage drive until the market returns to normal. My desktop PC has an 120GB SSD which is more than enough for Win7 x64 Ult, Office 2010, a couple MMORPG's, and plenty of scratch disk for temporary high-bandwidth files like FRAPS recording or ripping Bluray or re-encoding MKV.
    I can't feasibly use this for music or video storage obviously, and my internal hard disk is only 500GB. I manage this disk by burning my less important storage to Bluray discs (like video collections of stuff that I've finished watching, and music, since I've been using Spotify for a while now).

edit:
    Also, if you had been planning on a mechanical RAID array as opposed to SSD, I'd say from experience that a decent size SSD and a lower end mechanical disk for storage and lower priority software installations is probably better in the long run. And if you go for a 5400/5900 RPM green drive when the prices go back down, they have lower power consumption versus 7200 RPM drives also.