Hard drive traveling problems.

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Lost My Mind, Sep 9, 2009.

Sep 9, 2009
  1. Lost My Mind
    OP

Newcomer Lost My Mind Member

United States
    Ok, so originally I soft-modded my wii back before the twilight princess hack stopped working. I got my hard drive working with WBFS and holds many games now. It works with my wii.

Then my friend got a wii, and she wanted it soft modded. So we did that, and her hard drive works for her wii almost as well as mine works for my wii. Only downside of hers is, it actually matters on her wii which side the USB chord goes in. On mine it doesn't.

So I figured, all I need to bring to her house to play off of my hard drive is the USB chord for the hard drive, the AC adaptor for the hard drive, and the hard drive itself. (I also brought the SD card I use.

Both our hard drives are 500gbs with 100gbs partitioned in WBFS. Both our hard drives are "My Book" (the same brand, different models, same capacity)

Both our Wii's are 3.2 firmware.

Only difference is, because she bought it on E-Bay (i told her not to), is, her wii is 3.2E and i'm 3.2U.

i'm on IOS 36 v 9, she's on IOS 38 v 14.

I used to be on IOS 36 v 10, but it made my game freeze. So I went down. I innitially set her up on IOS 36 v 9, but had to bump her up cause her games kept freezing too.

Other then that, I recently did IOS 53 and IOS 55 both as wads. On my wii I have 60 and 61 (I think.....those are the ones for the shop channel, right?).

I cant think of any other differences......My loaders on my SD card work for her hard drive, but not mine. If I try at home, no problems.

I also have no clue what the guy before us did, because it came WITH the homebrew channel pre-installed.

Its also not a LU64 serial number.

2. Lost My Mind
    OP

United States
    Ok, random thing just happened........it SAYS it will only take 30 seconds to mount the hard drive, but after sitting idle for 10 minutes while i searched the web, it randomly loaded. I have no idea why.

And now after a reset it loads right away.........been at this for 2 hours and it just fixed itself. Swear to god, this experience has gotten me 1 step closer to early baldness.....

3. Pakatus

Member Pakatus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    Sorry...
    Is there a question/doubt?

4. Lost My Mind
    OP

United States
    Originally I was asking why I couldn't get my hard drive to work with my friends wii, when I know it works with mine, and her hard drive works with hers.

That was my original question

Then randomly almost immediately after I posted that, it started working.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: After re-reading my original post, I can see how that wasn't quite clear. I was so worried about posting the specific details that i never got to the problem...D'oh!

5. Spidy1000

Member Spidy1000 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    when rev13 of 14 of ios 38 is installed the harddisk needs to be connected to the usb port closest to the edge off the Wii, when older revs are used, both ports can be used. Seeing that your friends wii has Rev 14 installed, connecting your harddisk to her wii's USB port closest to the edge should work

6. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This ^^^.

7. infamousdragon

Newcomer infamousdragon Member

United States
    I've seen pretty much the same thing happen when I did my cousin's wii for him. My wii is 3.2U / cIOS Rev9. His wii is 4.1U upgraded from 3.4U / cIOS Rev14. We both have the same harddrive, but his seems to be a refurb. Both Harddrives work perfectly on my Wii. My harddrive works perfectly on his wii. His harddrive wouldn't work (is in the correct usb port), but after a bunch of tries it finally did. After that it worked all of the time, until I unplugged his wii to give it back to him. Then it went through the same cycle.

What I believe the issue to be is the USB cable for his harddrive. It did have all of the same specifications as my cable, but when I used my cable on his harddrive it worked fine on his wii. Not 100% sure though.

8. Lost My Mind
    OP

United States

Very Interesting find. Your saying it went back to the same locking up, AFTER you unplugged the power cord from his wii. Once that happened, it took a while to find your HDD on his wii. Then, upon using a different USB cable, it immediately worked. Hmmmmm. Did you try unplugging the power after that, and trying the chord that worked again? Tomarrow i'll take a picture of both ends of my USB cord, and you can tell me if the ends look the same as yours.

One end is standard USB shape, that would fit in the wii, but the other end, that goes in the HDD is more of a fat square. Her HDD uses a mini-USB to connect to the Wii. So, using her cord would be impossible. Infact, i'm not sure WHERE I would get a duplicate cord if this one ever became damaged.

Anyways, I'm not at her house anymore. I'll experiment next time i'm at her house......which should be soon! She just got rock band: the beatles! [​IMG] Finally a setlist that doesn't totally suck!!!