Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by The Milkman, Jul 16, 2012.

Jul 16, 2012

Hard drive problem by The Milkman at 2:46 AM (631 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. The Milkman
    OP

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    So I got a old PC, and its Hard Drive has a nasty virus. However its got decent specs and all so I decided to replace my PCs hard drive with another PC of similar model. Both had Windows XP on them however... my PCs version was a pirated copy. So after switching drives I found that my PC wanted me to authenticate the copy since its a different PC and all. Accounts, Wallpapers and everything loads up like normal. Its just that Windows wont let me do anything without authenticating. Any help would be apperiated.

2. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Do you still have the license key for your dad's computer?

3. The Milkman
    OP

United States
    Not dad, sister and yes. But the copy is already confirmed and all, it wants me to authenticate.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If its a legit and confirmed copy, you can simply call up Microsoft and they can walk you through the validation procedure.

5. The Milkman
    OP

United States
    So they have NO way of sensing if the copy on the computer before was legit or not? I dont want to take any risks.

6. Originality

United Kingdom
    Simply put, they pair the license key to the hardware IDs. If the hardware IDs change, it'll raise a flag. Call them up and they'll just pair the license key with the new hardware IDs. You're allowed to do this once a year (IIRC) except if you have an OEM copy of Windows.

7. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    When you call there is a 99% chance you will get some one with a heavy Indian accent, should you say the right magic words to get him to cough up the code be prepared to type in a looong string of letters and numbers. Well maybe not too long but the accent will make it feel like its way longer.

I had a friend do this before when he had to rebuild his PC.

Edit: This is what creates a lot of what I would call gray area pirates, they have a legit copy of windows but due to some circumstance the process of getting it into a functioning state is so convoluted they end up downloading a crack and just using it that way.

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    I had someone with an Irish accent the only time I ever called them. Maybe I got lucky.