Hard Drive Formatin'

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, quick queston. I got some HDDs (Old IDE ones) that I want to sell for a few bucks, or make external drives out of, problem is, all of them are IDE. I can't hook any of them up to my PCs for formatting. I have no idea what sort of place would offer a service for such a thing or how to go about it. Best guess has been a quick wipe with a home-made electromagnet, but before I try something like that, wanted to know if any of you could suggest any other way. Preferably something that wont damage them.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I acutally just saw this and was thinking about it, problem is all MY PCs are laptops one in which that wouldn't fit. Any chance these could connect via USB?
Maybe with a external harddrive casing that supports ide drives.

Just so you know tho, a magnet will have a good chance of just destroying the drive, and if it doesn't some ppl can still prob pull some data off of it. There may be magnets made for this purpose tho, but I am rather surprised if you have one lol.

Edit:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-3-5in-Black-External-Enclosure/dp/B0012VRBGM/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377468614&sr=1-8&keywords=ide external hdd enclosure

(there are prob cheaper) or you could prob use once and return >.>; Best buy perhaps?

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe with a external harddrive casing that supports ide drives.

Just so you know tho, a magnet will have a good chance of just destroying the drive, and if it doesn't some ppl can still prob pull some data off of it. There may be magnets made for this purpose tho, but I am rather surprised if you have one lol.

Yeah, I figured an electro would fuck it up. Its not a professional one or anything like that, just one I made when I was bored during a blackout.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could go cheaper and get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

Supports IDE and SATA, comes with a little casing so you could use it as an external, would be perfect for what you need.

This piece of equipment is your best bet.

It will probably also be very useful for you in the future.

PROTIP: Formatting the drives doesn't actually erase the data. If you want to wipe it, use something like the "dd" command in Linux or the "format" tool in Windows Vista and beyond.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PROTIP: Formatting the drives doesn't actually erase the data. If you want to wipe it, use something like the "dd" command in Linux or the "format" tool in Windows Vista and beyond.

Neither dd or format completely wipe data away. Data can still be recovered by sending it in to a recovery center. (Writing zeroes alone ain't going to do the trick).

To ensure complete data destruction, either physical destruction of the hard drive (which is what US DoD does) or sanitation algorithm such as Schneier method.

BTW: Home made magnet ain't going to do with trick either. You need much stronger magnet to erase data on hard drive platter. However, it will completely render the drive useless, hence it is physical destruction of the hard drive. Hard drive don't work the same way as cassette tape.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Neither dd or format completely wipe data away. Data can still be recovered by sending it in to a recovery center. (Writing zeroes alone ain't going to do the trick).

To ensure complete data destruction, either physical destruction of the hard drive (which is what US DoD does) or sanitation algorithm such as Schneier method.

Hey guys, quick queston. I got some HDDs (Old IDE ones) that I want to sell for a few bucks, or make external drives out of, problem is, all of them are IDE. I can't hook any of them up to my PCs for formatting. I have no idea what sort of place would offer a service for such a thing or how to go about it. Best guess has been a quick wipe with a home-made electromagnet, but before I try something like that, wanted to know if any of you could suggest any other way. Preferably something that wont damage them.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is true. But sending it to a recovery center costs around $5000 (I'm assuming they recover the data by detecting residual magnetic fields from the previously written data, would love to hear how they do it if that's not the case), so unless you are being actively and aggressively monitored by the government for whatever reason, you're pretty safe. Otherwise, you probably shouldn't be selling old disks anyway.

Anyone who will try to get your data off an old disk will probably just make a passing attempt using simple software-based tools, which overwriting with 0's would render useless.

If you really wanted, you could overwrite multiple times with dd pulling from /dev/rand which would make it near impossible to recover pretty much anything.

But nobody cares that much so a simple zeroing is generally enough.

SSD's and flash drives should be overwritten with ones, though, not zeros.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is true. But sending it to a recovery center costs around $5000 (I'm assuming they recover the data by detecting residual magnetic fields from the previously written data, would love to hear how they do it if that's not the case), so unless you are being actively and aggressively monitored by the government for whatever reason, you're pretty safe. Otherwise, you probably shouldn't be selling old disks anyway.

Anyone who will try to get your data off an old disk will probably just make a passing attempt using simple software-based tools, which overwriting with 0's would render useless.

If you really wanted, you could overwrite multiple times with dd pulling from /dev/rand which would make it near impossible to recover pretty much anything.

But nobody cares that much so a simple zeroing is generally enough.

SSD's and flash drives should be overwritten with ones, though, not zeros.

...What? Read my last post please.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users