Handhelds Are Losing Ground.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by KingVamp, Aug 17, 2011.

Aug 17, 2011

Handhelds Are Losing Ground. by KingVamp at 4:36 AM (5,195 Views / 0 Likes) 85 replies

1. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Source

I still believe portables are not in any danger.

2. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Glasses free 3D isn't innovative? Thats Bull. [​IMG]

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    And this is coming from a company that hasn't developed a single game on a handheld.

Don't agree with him at all. I think it's completely the opposite, handhelds are gaining ground.

4. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I won't say he's completely wrong, people now desire and expect for this type of thing. They want to be able to use their gaming system as an mp3 player, a video player, and a computer all in one.

I don't think they should be those things, but it is how things are and it's rather sad.

5. Dingoo-fan 32

Member Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I agreed with this guy, android devices are popular now \o/

6. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Oh boy, another "smart phones are gonna kill your handhelds," idiot. They're two separate markets, no matter how hard Apple tries to push their way in. Same goes for that Android stuff from Google. I will never consider them handhelds in the sense that handhelds have come to be known.

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I won't exactly say it's innovative, but I just like the fact that you can enjoy 3D games without the need of a 3DTV.

Personally I partially agree with this guy. People expect a lot out of game consoles now (including me sadly). Remember when everyone wanted the 3DS to have YouTube compatibility? And also thinking that the PSV can make phone calls before the major details were released?

But losing ground, no no. These two are on two different platforms.

8. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Agreed. But Cellphones, as popular as they may be. Are never going to be as popular gaming platforms as dedicated gaming devices are currently. This disposable game mentality should come and go soon. (I hope O_O)

9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    lols.

i use my psp as mp3 player and pdf reader. but i love it most because it's a handheld gaming device. and it plays awesome games. not some "meh" angry birds.
    and i don't want a phone. last phone i had was just an mp3 player. i don't call or text anyone.
    i'll leave videos and surfing the web to the pc.

10. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    of course they do, handhelds are getting expensive and powerful, it's second nature to assume that all that power can do other stuff than just gaming. which is why there's a homebrew scene, because people are driven to figure out how far they can push a handheld and see what they'll be able to do with it.

i prefer that handhelds stick to specializing in gaming, but smartphones are getting better and better, and there's just no denying that soon they're gonna be catching up with handhelds. i for one will appreciate if they decide to include other stuff that makes things easier. i mean, being able to browse any site without limitations on streaming media or whatnots on an iPad is good, but what if you can do that too on your handheld? sounds better, right? things just naturally lean that way.

11. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Hopefully this time next year, people will say "Angry waah?"

12. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Where are these figures for handhelds losing grounds? [​IMG]

I bet you there is stats but this guy needs to learn how to back
    up an argument or statement in his case.

13. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I wouldn't say that's the big reason why. It's because people now expect a device to be able to do everything, to have the power at their fingertips to do whatever, whenever, and this seems to be due to the influence of things like Androids and iPhones, they disregard the fact that it's a gaming system first and that's all that should truly be priority.

14. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Lets not forget what kind of kids are playing Video Games these days. Just the other day I hacked a psp for a 10 year old kid.
    I said "Hey, why not get this kid some REAL games, and not these mindless 99 cent games and FPS Shooters". So I got him a few RPG games for some SNES emulators. As soon as he stared playing some of the games he was like "WTF I have to read to know what I am doing?" And he just kept mashing buttons expecting cool explosions and what not. It sickened me. And thats exactly what people want these days. Mindless disposable games that involve no thought process. Thats exactly what these cheap Android and Iphone games are catering too. I hope this is just a phase [​IMG]

15. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    oh god no!!!
    don't tell me there are a lot of kids like that???

16. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wasn't there something some time ago about this same thing, but about consoles?

17. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i have my own daily reminder of how simplistic games are getting, in the front of my walmart is a stuffed animal rack, care to guess what these stuffed animals are?
    Angry Birds...... [​IMG]

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    ...well, yes, i suppose there's that too, which is why people are getting smartphones mixed up with handhelds. there used to be a clear line between that, but Apple made a very good job of muddling that line with its iPhone/iPad games, and now people are confused.

and yes, i also refuse to accept smartphones as gaming systems. sure you can play games on them, but they weren't made specifically for them. and they lack the basic prerequisites--face buttons. on that note, i'm willing to accept the Nokia Ngage and the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play as gaming systems as well. but smartphones? no.

19. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Probably, People have been jizzing in their pants about Smartphones encroaching on dedicated console's territory for a while now.

20. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    btw crysis 2 fucken sucked, CRYTEK! Y UR NEW PATCH MAKE GAME BROKE!