Handheld original hardware vs emulation

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This topic is too old, emulation vs original hardware...

Allways prefer original hardware but...is expensive and...that blurry line is getting less blurry...

1) I began to sell my game & watches, love it but screen fails and didn´t play it...still...I miss the games, I have nintendo switch with retroarch....emulating those devices is not perfect and some games are missing....still waiting to see an easy hack for the G&W super mario edition that was released on 2020....and then maybe I buy it,...or a better emulation /complete romset

2) now I´m selling my handhelds (I keep the original gameboy with an everdrive and gba 101 with flash cart), I´m selling an atari lynx (with aga cart), a game gear (with and everdrive), and a wonderswan color and neo geo pocket (with 1 game each), I don´t know if I´m doing good...but....screens are difficult to see....and modding the screen, even I can do it is not so easy and is expensive ($100...$150...each screen), and...whats the point? if you change the screen...it´s the original hardware....yes...but is almost the same to a switch running retroarch...emulating atari lynx, game gear, neo geo pocket or wonderswan is not so inacurrate....they are all 8 bit (lynx is 16 but looks like 8 bit to me).

what do you think?

I have a vectrex, a virtual boy and snes, genesis, pc engine, BUT on that I find emulation worst that original hardware, sometimes the screen (vectrex & virtual boy are irreplaceable) and some times emulation is not bad but with some differences that make me keep the original hardware...sound is the one that I notice most.

but in the handhelds...even nintendo switch speakers are better...

Does anybody think the same?

Last edited by peke,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) There will never be an easy hack for the G&W because the USB port is only connected to power. That's why you have to open it up and connect to the data lines manually.

2) I kinda have the opposite opinion in that I think emulation is fine for normal consoles but I prefer to play all handhelds on original hardware (however I do think upgrading to a modern LCD is the best way). I get it though, the price starts to go very high once you factor in the Everdrives and LCDs.. and the Switch (and Vita) are a great way to enjoy the same games on great portable hardware.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
1) There will never be an easy hack for the G&W because the USB port is only connected to power. That's why you have to open it up and connect to the data lines manually.

2) I kinda have the opposite opinion in that I think emulation is fine for normal consoles but I prefer to play all handhelds on original hardware (however I do think upgrading to a modern LCD is the best way). I get it though, the price starts to go very high once you factor in the Everdrives and LCDs.. and the Switch (and Vita) are a great way to enjoy the same games on great portable hardware.

thanks for the reply....so you agree that emulating those devices on switch and vita is nearly as good? modding the screens of the devices I tell is expensive...and risky....how far from perfect is emulation vs original hardware on the handhelds?

I know the feel of original hardware but...to many cons for me

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe an easier hack for the G&W...don´t mind to solder...something like modding usb port for data or adding an micro sd card slot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo