Handheld Emulators? GCW Zero vs PSP?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gillan_Greenleaf, Sep 9, 2014.

?

GCW Zero or PSP for Emulation?

1. GCW Zero

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. PSP

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Gillan_Greenleaf
    OP

Gillan_Greenleaf Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    I'm wondering what the best handheld emulators are for under $200. Specifically, I am looking at the GCW Zero and the PSP. What are the pros and cons of both and what is your overall opinion? What I care most about is speed of emulation, emulators available, ease, and how nice the controls are. Thanks in advance!

2. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    get a PSP man.

it has PSP and PSX games which would be enough.

not only that you could play all the Atari systems, NEO GEO, NES, SNES, GBA, GB, GBC, SEGA megadrive, sega master system. even some n64.

get a PSP,

3. Gillan_Greenleaf
    OP

Gillan_Greenleaf Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Which PSP is the best and/or easiest?

4. Surkow

Surkow Advanced Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Netherlands
    For PSX and PSP games I'd definitely go for a PSP. For anything else, the GCW Zero. SNES emulation on the PSP is very limited due to the weak hardware.

5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

all the same really if you can get a new one... 3000. but if not get one in good condition so it last you in the long run.

hacking is a piece of cake. this thread tells everything http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

good luck. :yaypsp:

all the games i played worked fine.

6. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    PSP Retroarch comes out at the end of this month. Allegedly...

7. Gillan_Greenleaf
    OP

Gillan_Greenleaf Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    I want the PSP for the size and the price as well as PSX/PSP emulation. I want the GCW for speed, ease, and the active community. Opinions?

8. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I tried Metal Max Returns (SA-1 game) on the PSP, it's slow as hell, on the Zero, it runs fine.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The PSP is more cost-effective, has an analog stick and has a higher resolution screen, but the GCW Zero's resolution is "just right" for retro stuff, it has superior specs and it's smaller. In my opinion a PSP is a perfect marriage of performance and price, but the GCW Zero is a pretty nifty gadget if you're into open source consoles.

10. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Yeah as already stated, Retroarch is due at some point in September which may or may not improve emulators that are a bit lacking. Mainly, PSP wise, its just the SNES emulator which is a bit dicey. Everything else like Genesis, GBA, Master System, NES and older machines performs pretty much perfectly on PSP bar a handful of titles on each system.

If retroarch can nail the SNES side of things, the PSP has all bases covered.

11. Gillan_Greenleaf
    OP

Gillan_Greenleaf Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Thank you everyone! If Retroarch doesn't patch up the PSP issues then I think I'll get a Zero. If anyone has more opinions I would love to hear them!

12. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK

Its only the SNES that is a problem on PSP. All other emulators from the 8 and 16bit era function almost perfectly. Plus the added bonus of PSP titles and pretty much perfect emulation of the original Playstation thrown into the mix.