half brick?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by haru3173, Jun 10, 2014.

1. haru3173
    OP

haru3173 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    Hi so I was playing bravely default rom on my gateway and an update popped out and I accidentaly pressed yes and the updating screen popped up and what I did is I force shut down. Now the problem is I can still access gateway mode by going settings then profile and even play games but I cant access settings anymore. I only get to see the 3ds loading screen and thats it. I cant go to settings anymore to see what my emunand firmware is. Anyway to fix this?

2. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    It's probably you updated your emunand, luckily. With the last update you can't use system settings so it's not a brick cheer up :lol:

3. haru3173
    OP

haru3173 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    yup i updated my emunand but only for like 5 seconds because I force shut down it. I cant access settings anymore though so i might have corrupted it. Any way to reflash or restore to fix this?

4. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    I dont understand much about emunand but back up your saves then formatting SD/setting up emunand should do it. If you dont have any e-shop downloads though.

5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Since you're still able to launch emuNAND and use Gateway features, I'm assuming your sysNAND was untouched. If this is the case, you should not be able to access settings from a 7.2 emuNAND anyway, so your system is acting 100% normal in a 7.2 emuNAND setup. Relax. You've just lost access to your System Settings, which you don't really need to access in emuNAND for much anyway. Until Gateway update their firmware, there's very little you can do, which is still not a big deal. Relax, play some games and don't stress. Your 3DS will be fine. :)

6. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013

I don't understand much and i don't know is 2 different things :lol: But thanks for the info anyway.

7. haru3173
    OP

haru3173 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    United States

Ok cool thanks! So my emunand was updated to the latest 7.2 fw? How is it possible? I mean I didnt finish updating it and it was only for like 5 seconds. Would formatting and setting up emunand like Heien suggested fix this? I'm at work I can't do it right now.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah just backup your SD card and pick format emunand again from the gateway menu

9. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    It sounds like it may have been a partial update. Do you really NEED System Settings within emuNAND that bad that you'd bother going through the process of formatting and re-doing emuNAND setup? I mean, that could work, if that's all you were looking for. But at the same time, there are plenty of other users on here that are on 7.2 emuNAND and aren't panicking like you are. My point is this: there really is no need for you to do anything else at this time, unless you want to access System Settings from emuNAND that bad. You can still access System Settings from your sysNAND, which is all that really matters.

10. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    You are lucky you did it to your emuNAND.

Your best shot is to recreate your emuNAND, or inject an emuNAND backup (if you have one)

I recently was in possesion of a half-bricked system, it would crash randomly and sometimes boot to a bluescreen. Not fun. Wound up taking a $30 loss on it, as I couldn't fix it.