Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Mad-Mega

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
even with 2.07 version it still is stuck on 'waiting for nes'. it installs the driver fine but then nothing ever happens after that. when i go to 'flash custom kernel' it says no dump found. so for some reason despite having the driver installed and the nes in FEL mode, nothing is dumping while the nes is plugged into the computer. is it an issue with the computer? i am using windows 7. should i try using mac OS?

Mine was doing the same, after i turned the NES off and on, the driver suddenly installed.

trainboy2019

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't repack ramdisk, what do I do to fix this, I've dumped the kernel, flashed the original kernal, and then on the custom one I get that error.

Cluster

OP
Trophies
Website
clusterrr.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thank you! How can i donate you some dollars ?
Just copied the mentioned maps to new version.
i supose i have to edit the Config File ??
No, you don't need to edit anything. It's should be ready to use. You don't need to flash custrom kernel again too. Donation info in "about" box. Thank you!

even with 2.07 version it still is stuck on 'waiting for nes'. it installs the driver fine but then nothing ever happens after that. when i go to 'flash custom kernel' it says no dump found. so for some reason despite having the driver installed and the nes in FEL mode, nothing is dumping while the nes is plugged into the computer. is it an issue with the computer?
Seems like hakchi can't init FEL connection for some reason. Maybe I need to create spetial version with debug messages... If you can try original hakchi by madmonkey: https://github.com/madmonkey1907/hakchi/releases
And try to dump kernel with it.

Sorry guys, I need to do many work now. I'll answer questions and write FAQ after few days.

Reactions: Sev501 and D-an-W

Mad-Mega

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Super Mario Lost Levels FDS is working but Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun is not, because of mapper 23, is there any way how to alter this ?

sarcoptic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bravo on the font fix....you sir are amazing Cluster...all we need to extra mappers and we are set. Definitely missing some Micro Machines :)

EpiKAC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys, I've been following along for a couple of days now. I've run into a few of the issues that were listed, and one by one I was able to fix them. First I couldn't get the driver installed, then when I solved that, I had the reset bug which when I was finished I still only had the 30 original games.

But here's my new issue and I haven't seen it mentioned before so I figure I might as well register and post. After using version 2.07 everything seemed to work for me right from the beginning to the end. Then when it finished adding games, after about 10 seconds the light went out. I thought I was good. But when I hooked the mini to the TV, all I got was a black screen. That's it. Then when I turned the power off the screen said "shutting down..."

I tried a few different ways, but still only get a black screen... thoughts? suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

mrjamma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my experience in terms of troubles I had with installing the USB driver, and how I went about fixing it. Hoping this might help someone else.

Prior to attempting this process, I watched youtube videos on the process, read through this forum and others, and followed the on screen instructions in Hakchi2 step by step.

Unfortunately none of it worked for me, and I was continually experiencing driver installation failure errors, both in the operating system, as well as within Zadig the USB driver installer. Nothing specific either, more or less 'driver failed to install' error. At one point, the mininesdriver.exe application which launches via Hakchi2, was just hanging and did not install the driver, but did not fail at the same time. Hung for like 20 minutes, so I just gave up and killed it.

Things I tried:
- 2 different computers - my existing, and a spare laptop I had - The spare laptop I had - performed a clean install of Windows 7 64 SP1, integrated with .Net 3.5.1. I then installed the latest chipset drivers etc.
- Both systems do not have an antivirus, and had Windows defender disabled
- Tried 2.06 (7zip extracted) and 2.07 version
- Tried running Zadig as administrator, Hakchi2 as administrator
- Tried manually updating the 'unknown device' in device manager, by pointing to the driver source files from the hakchi2 folder.
- Tried right clicking the inf file and choosing 'install'
- Tried removing the unknown device in device manager and choosing 'scan for changes'

In short, I was left with an Unknown device in Device Manager, and it refused to install via any method.

The following process I performed below was just trial and error, and finally fixed the issue on my spare laptop. Once it worked, I performed the exact process again on my second computer, and it too also worked perfectly. Very strange process, but worked for me.

Steps:
1. Power on computer, tap F8 continually
2. On the advanced Windows 7 menu, I chose 'Disable Windows Driver Signing'
3. Once inside the operating system, I connected my mini NES via USB. Held reset button, pressed power button, waited for the Windows chime, then released the reset button
4. I didn't open hakchi2 at all. Instead, I opened Zadig as administrator up front. Selected options, show all devices. Selected unknown device from the list. Left the option to install USB 6.1 driver, and clicked install driver. The driver said it installed successfully, and Windows pushed me to restart the computer.
5. I chose 'restart now' and quickly unplugged my mini nes during the shut down process. Once unplugged I pressed the power button on the mini nes to turn it back off, so that when I reconnect it later, I can perform the correct connection procedure again
6. Operating system was restarting, I pressed F8 continually again so I could choose 'Disable Windows Driver signing' option for WInodws 7 again
7. Once back in the opearting system, I connected my mini NES via USB. Held reset button, pressed power button, waited for the Windows chime, then released the reset button.
8. I checked device manager in Windows. No missing devices now. I checked 'Universal Serial Bus' devices. The device was listed as 'unknown device', but didnt have an exclamation mark or question mark on it? I opened Zadig as administrator. Selected options, show all devices. Selected unknown device from the list (was still there). Left the option to install USB 6.1 driver, and clicked RE-install driver this time. The driver said it installed successfully, this time without asking me to reboot Windows.
9. I checked device manager again (right click scan for changes). Again, still listed as 'Unknown device' under Universal serial bus (rather than the unknown devices category). I right-clicked the unknown device in this category, chose 'Uninstall', and ticked 'Delete driver'. It removed the device. I then right-clicked and chose 'scan for hardware changes'. This time it detected and reinstalled the device as 'Mini NES' automatically!

Mine is a UK model mini NES, not sure if that has some form of complication with drivers, or maybe its a Windows 7 thing. In any case, the above process allowed installation on two my computers which previously failed with this unit.

On another note, @Cluster - Amazing work mate. Worked great, with the fonts and everything!!! Thanks

Last edited by mrjamma,

Mad-Mega

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine came from German, i am running w7 64bit and the driver didn't install at first, the DOS screen was hanging, or waiting...i turned off the mini NES, but already closed the screen, then it was hanging again, after that, i left the DOS screen open and hold reset and pressed the power button, than it began installing the drivers, since then it worked like a charm.

Reactions: mrjamma

Lokote2134

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone have a zip file with like the top 85 games for the nes all ready for hakchi2 with all the info ready like the year, number of players, photo etc?

haze028

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, does anyone really know an actual limit for games yet?

I read a few pages back someone had 104 loaded with the original 30 removed. I'm running 97 loaded with original removed.

If the original 30 are just hidden and not removed, as I keep seeing you can 'hide' the original games, does that mean the limit is actually around 130+.

Was also reading in this thread the system has enough memory available for the entire library?

Anyways, just wondering whats the most games people have going?

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone tested whether optimizing the cover art sizes would allow for more games to fit?
I'm not sure if its a space issue or a filesystem issue that is the limiting factor here.

Hakchi2 spits out png files that are rather large. After running all my covers (about 14 extra games) through a file optimizer
I managed to save about 150kb of space; enough for a couple of games or freeing up some save slots.

Last edited by BassAceGold,

DarkunderdoG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tested whether optimizing the cover art sizes would allow for more games to fit?
I'm not sure if its a space issue or a filesystem issue that is the limiting factor here.

Hakchi2 spits out png files that are rather large. After running all my covers (about 14 extra games) through a file optimizer
I managed to save about 150kb of space; enough for a couple of games or freeing up some save slots.

From what I understand space isn't the reason that you can't play more games / have more saves. It has to do with what the environment was set to handle.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, does anyone really know an actual limit for games yet?

I read a few pages back someone had 104 loaded with the original 30 removed. I'm running 97 loaded with original removed.

If the original 30 are just hidden and not removed, as I keep seeing you can 'hide' the original games, does that mean the limit is actually around 130+.

Was also reading in this thread the system has enough memory available for the entire library?

Anyways, just wondering whats the most games people have going?

Read through this thread and you will have your answer :)

Lokote2134

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be nice if the OP could make the program auto detect the games release date and publisher's name idk if that's possible but would be a nice feature :)

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cluster is it possible for someone to hack the system and make the controller have a reset button, like pressing sellect and down at the same time , is that possible right now ? or it requires a hardware mod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...