Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, so the game should be running smooth. I will uncheck the compress feature as a test.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah I understand now. CF has only been released in PAL. Same for Sensible Soccer then I'd say.

Exactly. SNES Mini stock emulator (Canoe) only runs NTSC NES games, Retroarch emu runs also PAL games, SNES, Megadrive/Genesis etc.

Link8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still interesting though that Cannon Fodder does play on the Mini. Is there no other way around it except for using RetroArch?

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Converting a SNES PAL rom into NTSC/patching etc. But in general I then just use Retroarch with the PAL rom, as it pretty much is no hassle and boots automatically too.

Got my Neo Geo Metal Slug games running now too. Needed to edit some files and add the neogeo zip bios file to them, and then install those through the extra modules on SNES Mini. This mini device is now a very awesome portable retro device my friends will love too when I take it with me in my pocket of the jacket!

Reactions: Link8

Link8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Converting a SNES PAL rom into NTSC/patching etc. But in general I then just use Retroarch with the PAL rom, as it pretty much is no hassle and boots automatically too.

Got my Neo Geo Metal Slug games running now too. Needed to edit some files and add the neogeo zip bios file to them, and then install those through the extra modules on SNES Mini. This mini device is now a very awesome portable retro device my friends will love too when I take it with me in my pocket of the jacket!

Got a tutorial for Metal Slug?

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got a tutorial for Metal Slug?

I got the tutorial from somewhere else on gbatemp, quote:

"- Download Source code.zip from https://github.com/DSkywalk/retroarch-clover/releases

- Search for mame2003_mini.hmod inside core_modules_extra folder and copy mame2003_mini.hmod to your desktop

- Download source code.zip from https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases

- Copy the folder bios_template.hmod to your desktop and rename to bios_neogeo.hmod

- Download neogeo.zip (I can not link to this file but i'm sure you find it...)

- Copy neogeo.zip to bios_neogeo.hmod/etc/libretro/system/ (put neogeo.zip here)

- Now copy bios_neogeo.hmod and mame2003_mini.hmod to your user_mods folder that you find inside your Hakchi folder

- Run Hakchi2.13e tool and go to Module-Install extra modules and install both bios_neogeo.hmod and mame2003_mini.hmod

- Now find some games and change the command line for imported games from bin/zip to bin/mame2003

- Now synchronize your games (you get a pop-up to import as archive) and have fun playing !"

https://gbatemp.net/threads/neogeo-mame2003-quick-guide-for-nesc.463656/

As we can't link to any bios, you gotta find the neogeo.zip file yourself on the internet. Tip: the 54kb file is a working one. Then get Neo Geo Metal Slug (2,3, X whatever), and the zip file will give a pop-up in Hakchi2 saying: select a file to install (from the list of files in the zip) or install as archive. Choose install as archive and in the command line replace the bin/zip to bin/mame2003

There you go. Enjoy!

BeyondPines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting a very annoying shell command error of can't create directory when attempting to upload games. Never had this issue with the nes uploads. What gives?

Fredgba

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I hope I place my post well.
I'm here to post some feedback and ask for a bit of help, regarding hakchi2 (v2.21b and v2.17d), on NES and SNES mini.

v2.21b to hack SNES mini: no problem

The problems appear to hack the NES mini.
All the described tests below failed, showing the same message, at the same moment of the process:

- Moment: when trying to upload/add the games to the NES mini console
shell command "tar -xvC/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi" returned exit code 1:tar: can't change directory to 'var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi': No such file or directory

- Tests:
-- on 2 laptops (Windows 10 and 7), and 1 desktop (Windows 10)
-- hackchi2 v2.21b and v2.17d

I'm starting to wonder if the issue comes from the NES mini itself.
Is there something related to where it comes from? US vs European model for example.
Any feedback or help will be appreciated.

And, thank you a lot for your hard work allowing us to enjoy those good old days games :)

Cheers!

BeyondPines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I hope I place my post well.
I'm here to post some feedback and ask for a bit of help, regarding hakchi2 (v2.21b and v2.17d), on NES and SNES mini.

v2.21b to hack SNES mini: no problem

The problems appear to hack the NES mini.
All the described tests below failed, showing the same message, at the same moment of the process:

- Moment: when trying to upload/add the games to the NES mini console
shell command "tar -xvC/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi" returned exit code 1:tar: can't change directory to 'var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi': No such file or directory

- Tests:
-- on 2 laptops (Windows 10 and 7), and 1 desktop (Windows 10)
-- hackchi2 v2.21b and v2.17d

I'm starting to wonder if the issue comes from the NES mini itself.
Is there something related to where it comes from? US vs European model for example.
Any feedback or help will be appreciated.

And, thank you a lot for your hard work allowing us to enjoy those good old days games :)

Cheers!

I think is similar to my problem when running SNES modifier alongside my NES. I think this version has a fault of some sort? Is it best to have a fresh install for the SNES using the web installer?

Fredgba

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think is similar to my problem when running SNES modifier alongside my NES. I think this version has a fault of some sort? Is it best to have a fresh install for the SNES using the web installer?
Hi
I didn't have any issue with hakchi 2.21b (zip file, then install) and SNES mini
Here are two Youtube channels that may help you
(very helpful through the comments)

Hope it helps
Maybe write down the message you received (if different than mine)
Cheers!

@Fredgba,got the same problem yesterday when mod my mini nes(pal),same error,so used 2.17d and problem solved.
Thank you fille, I will give it another try, but no success for now with either 2.21b and 2.17d :/

fille

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
first delete all mods-then flash original kernel-uninstall hakchi.
after that if you want install mods first do mods-the install the custom kernel-then add games.
thats what i did,also,i could not install latest retroarch on mini nes for games that not orking with mini nes emu.

Last edited by fille,

Link8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got the tutorial from somewhere else on gbatemp, quote:

"- Download Source code.zip from https://github.com/DSkywalk/retroarch-clover/releases

- Search for mame2003_mini.hmod inside core_modules_extra folder and copy mame2003_mini.hmod to your desktop

- Download source code.zip from https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases

- Copy the folder bios_template.hmod to your desktop and rename to bios_neogeo.hmod

- Download neogeo.zip (I can not link to this file but i'm sure you find it...)

- Copy neogeo.zip to bios_neogeo.hmod/etc/libretro/system/ (put neogeo.zip here)

- Now copy bios_neogeo.hmod and mame2003_mini.hmod to your user_mods folder that you find inside your Hakchi folder

- Run Hakchi2.13e tool and go to Module-Install extra modules and install both bios_neogeo.hmod and mame2003_mini.hmod

- Now find some games and change the command line for imported games from bin/zip to bin/mame2003

- Now synchronize your games (you get a pop-up to import as archive) and have fun playing !"

https://gbatemp.net/threads/neogeo-mame2003-quick-guide-for-nesc.463656/

As we can't link to any bios, you gotta find the neogeo.zip file yourself on the internet. Tip: the 54kb file is a working one. Then get Neo Geo Metal Slug (2,3, X whatever), and the zip file will give a pop-up in Hakchi2 saying: select a file to install (from the list of files in the zip) or install as archive. Choose install as archive and in the command line replace the bin/zip to bin/mame2003

There you go. Enjoy!

Bedankt! Ik ga er vanavond mee aan de slag :)

BeyondPines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help.

I get this on a clean install as well :

shell command mkdir-p /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games && du -s /var/lib/hackchi/rootfs/usr/share/games/ awk '(print $1)'''' returned exit code 1 mkdir cant create directory

Help?

I have followed the videos posted. As mentioned my NES went without issue. I can only assume maybe its a driver issue. It gives me the above message when uploading games.

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bedankt! Ik ga er vanavond mee aan de slag :)

You're welcome ;-)

Starting a NeoGeo rom first gives some weird green screen and flashes looks like an error but will boot normally. If you ran NeoGeo games on emulators on Wii/WiiU etc before you are used to it, if it is a 1st time you'd think it would freeze or something.

You will get the 'insert coin' for sure ;-)
So much fun Metal Slug is. The roms are bigger than SNES roms though, be aware. MS1 is around 12MB, MS2 around 17MB and MSX about 28MB.

Reactions: Link8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad