Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Asure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right now I'm working on the Python script to do this automatically.
I'll post the ones I already made when I get back home

That would be great :)

If we didn't have jobs this thing would already be done. :)
If we didn't have family life, this thing would already be done. :)

I finished my reversing on the header/footer using Star Fox and never noticed any of the BRR/PCM added data zones. But i did have a look at F-Zero and found a lot of crap trailing behind it. Figured it was some sort of patch.
I intend to make a few roms to add and that would be it. Maybe a quick tutorial with a single sample rom or something.

What would be the useless parts?

There is data from the Wii VC inside it, which appears to not be used. (BRR sound converted into PCM for easier emulation.)
They appear to have taken the Wii VC rom releases, which were reused on the Snes Mini

From reverse engineering Star Fox 1 i can assure you that samples are not needed on the Snes Mini. So this then becomes redundant data.

As a side note, for the NES / SNES and internal emulator + compression
The command to run the game is in the desktop file, can we not simply gzip the rom into .gz (or whatever) and then pipe the decompressed data in the command line? Or was this tried, and did it not work?

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm curious since I have never used hakchi before (I don't own a NES mini) - will I notice any difference between ROMs using RetroArch and ROMS running on the native SNES classic emulator? Will they show up the same way in the menu and boot like the original 21 games?

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
What would be the useless parts?
Everything before the header and everything after the footer. You can find the header by searching 'WUP-'.
I finished my reversing on the header/footer using Star Fox and never noticed any of the BRR/PCM added data zones. But i did have a look at F-Zero and found a lot of crap trailing behind it. Figured it was some sort of patch.
I intend to make a few roms to add and that would be it. Maybe a quick tutorial with a single sample rom or something.

There is data from the Wii VC inside it, which appears to not be used. (BRR sound converted into PCM for easier emulation.)
They appear to have taken the Wii VC rom releases, which were reused on the Snes Mini

From reverse engineering Star Fox 1 i can assure you that samples are not needed on the Snes Mini. So this then becomes redundant data.

Yeah, I've noticed it almost right after my initial post.
It appears that they use Wii VC files as a base for all Virtual Console releases.
I think they converted BRR to PCM to speed-up emulation on the Wii, but SNES Mini hardware is powerful enough to emulate unmodified ROMs.
However, I'm sure that PCM samples are still used by the emulator since there are PCMF pointers instead of BRR data. It just supports both formats.

As far as I know, SuperFX games were never released on Wii nor New 3DS, so they just took the ROM dump and added the header/footer.
For some reason, not all SuperFX games work: I wasn't able to run Stunt Race FX.

Last edited by pcm720,
Reactions: Asure

pokemonster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
185032rom.png

how edit roms ?

Asure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know, SuperFX games were never released on Wii nor New 3DS, so they just took the ROM dump and added the header/footer.
For some reason, not all SuperFX games work: I wasn't able to run Stunt Race FX.

Stunt Race, Doom and Vortex would have been my first test subjects to try, as i looked at Star Fox first.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have to use 2 dongles to use 2 control pads?

Also is it possible to move the controller ports inside the case and plug in the receiver and play? That was the dongles aren't sticking out of the front of the console.

Yes you must use two dongles for 2 controllers.

You can just remove the controller ports from their slots and bend the cables inward and place your retro receivers insite the console. It'll look much cleaner as you'll leave the front panel closed. Thing is though if it ever lose sync you'll have to reopen the thing... unless you make the connector holes a bit bigger and get the tip of the dongles sticking out.

I haven't opened my Snes classic yet.

Higgy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Baggins - I was going to post that. Digital Foundary do really interesting stuff, and have a lot of technical info.

Question - With NES Mini as I understand additional (NES) games added via Hakchi2 ran via Retroarch and not the emulator Nintendo built. Will this be the same for the SNES Mini, or is this Header/Footer stuff to get new additional games to run via the native Nintendo emulator?

I guess the advantage (or disadvantage) to run the Nintendo emulator is better FX2 chip etc emulation and the use of Nintendo's CRT filter.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Baggins - I was going to post that. Digital Foundary do really interesting stuff, and have a lot of technical info.

Question - With NES Mini as I understand additional (NES) games added via Hakchi2 ran via Retroarch and not the emulator Nintendo built. Will this be the same for the SNES Mini, or is this Header/Footer stuff to get new additional games to run via the native Nintendo emulator?

I guess the advantage (or disadvantage) to run the Nintendo emulator is better FX2 chip etc emulation and the use of Nintendo's CRT filter.

Some games probably have chips not emulated, and will require retroarch. A few of the original games might even be improved by running them in retroarch, depending on how accurate the emulation is on the NES Mini. There are some bugs introduce into some of the original games, like for example the Get Fuzzy level and background disappearing when you touch a fuzzy... However, the mini definitely as has an improved emulation of the FX2 chip.

Benefits that Retroarch can add is some improved/better CRT filters or other filters.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I like the idea of clicking on an icon on my desktop, and there it would be, NES/SNES Classic running on my PC.

it can't run on a PC architecture only ARM.

If you want something that resembles it running on PC, build your retroarch template shell.

Last edited by Baggins,

byevoltor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nintendo-n64-mini-classic-box-mock-up.jpg

The next year for July will surely announce: " N64 Mini Classic ".:toot:

The doubt will be, if they will do the same as in the mini snes, suit the emulator to decently run the installed games that will be 10. (24mb x10 games = 240MB)

Since the motherboard will be the same, and will leave us with the same capacity 300MB.:cry:

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
1080th Snowboarding
Wave Race 64

And all like crazy to buy the emulation box for 99 €.:grog:

I would buy them all. But the Nes mini will be the most economical of all, and not the most beautiful, but just as good as the others.

Good, cheap and not so pretty.

I hope they change plaque, but it will not .... It gives them good results ....:hrth:

Should Nintendo put a better processor and flash memory to the board, to make it work much better the N64? They will do it?:unsure:

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo-n64-mini-classic-box-mock-up.jpg

The next year for July will surely announce: " N64 Mini Classic ".:toot:

The doubt will be, if they will do the same as in the mini snes, suit the emulator to decently run the installed games that will be 10. (24mb x10 games = 240MB)

Since the motherboard will be the same, and will leave us with the same capacity 300MB.:cry:

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
1080th Snowboarding
Wave Race 64

And all like crazy to buy the emulation box for 99 €.:grog:

I would buy them all. But the Nes mini will be the most economical of all, and not the most beautiful, but just as good as the others.

Good, cheap and not so pretty.

I hope they change plaque, but it will not .... It gives them good results ....:hrth:

Should Nintendo put a better processor and flash memory to the board, to make it work much better the N64? They will do it?:unsure:

I believe they'll haveot to both improve the emulator, and use new faster hardware (NES and SNES minis boht use the same hardware). Nintendo's VC currently can't do Castlevnania games (do to the save functions disabled), and that would be a 3rd party series to support really. Maybe even some Capcom Resident Evil. Of course it would be best if it had 4 player controller options.

The current boards pretty slow for N64 as far as know, based on video tests made with the original NES mini.

Last edited by Baggins,

myspacee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
last version is : 2.17d
but 'web installer', install on my PC ver.: 2.0.18.11

Anyone can try to install and connect his SNESmini ?

Thank you,
m.

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hello,
last version is : 2.17d
but 'web installer', install on my PC ver.: 2.0.18.11

Anyone can try to install and connect his SNESmini ?

Thank you,
m.
Why? The hack hasn’t been released yet, it’s already confirmed the only way to hack it now is through FTP. If you want to do that, you can try that yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr