1. Asure

Asure Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    That would be great :)

If we didn't have jobs this thing would already be done. :)
    If we didn't have family life, this thing would already be done. :)

I finished my reversing on the header/footer using Star Fox and never noticed any of the BRR/PCM added data zones. But i did have a look at F-Zero and found a lot of crap trailing behind it. Figured it was some sort of patch.
    I intend to make a few roms to add and that would be it. Maybe a quick tutorial with a single sample rom or something.

There is data from the Wii VC inside it, which appears to not be used. (BRR sound converted into PCM for easier emulation.)
    They appear to have taken the Wii VC rom releases, which were reused on the Snes Mini

From reverse engineering Star Fox 1 i can assure you that samples are not needed on the Snes Mini. So this then becomes redundant data.

As a side note, for the NES / SNES and internal emulator + compression
    The command to run the game is in the desktop file, can we not simply gzip the rom into .gz (or whatever) and then pipe the decompressed data in the command line? Or was this tried, and did it not work?

2. bjaxx87

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I'm curious since I have never used hakchi before (I don't own a NES mini) - will I notice any difference between ROMs using RetroArch and ROMS running on the native SNES classic emulator? Will they show up the same way in the menu and boot like the original 21 games?

3. pcm720

pcm720 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Everything before the header and everything after the footer. You can find the header by searching 'WUP-'.
    Yeah, I've noticed it almost right after my initial post.
    It appears that they use Wii VC files as a base for all Virtual Console releases.
    I think they converted BRR to PCM to speed-up emulation on the Wii, but SNES Mini hardware is powerful enough to emulate unmodified ROMs.
    However, I'm sure that PCM samples are still used by the emulator since there are PCMF pointers instead of BRR data. It just supports both formats.

As far as I know, SuperFX games were never released on Wii nor New 3DS, so they just took the ROM dump and added the header/footer.
    For some reason, not all SuperFX games work: I wasn't able to run Stunt Race FX.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Asure likes this.
  4. pokemonster

pokemonster GBAtemp Regular

France
    [​IMG]
    how edit roms ?

5. Asure

Asure Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Stunt Race, Doom and Vortex would have been my first test subjects to try, as i looked at Star Fox first.

6. pokemonster

pokemonster GBAtemp Regular

France
    anyone have original dump i hve bricked ? :sad:

7. SoslanVanWieren

Banned

Australia
    these are sold out it would be cool if there was a way to run the os on something else other then these classic consoles

Beathil likes this.
  8. erolz

erolz GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Will this tool also work for the mini SNES?

9. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Lol, you shouldnt be doing this if you have no dev experience.

If you can still boot into recovery then its not a full-brick more like semi-brick.

No one can send the original dump since its against the rules.

10. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyone see this review?

They won't release the exact interface because that would be illegal.

11. Beathil

Beathil Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I like the idea of clicking on an icon on my desktop, and there it would be, NES/SNES Classic running on my PC.

12. The Frenchman

The Frenchman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Yes you must use two dongles for 2 controllers.

You can just remove the controller ports from their slots and bend the cables inward and place your retro receivers insite the console. It'll look much cleaner as you'll leave the front panel closed. Thing is though if it ever lose sync you'll have to reopen the thing... unless you make the connector holes a bit bigger and get the tip of the dongles sticking out.

I haven't opened my Snes classic yet.

13. blueflash

blueflash Member
    Newcomer

How, what did you do ? And what you do to your orginal kernal? Should just be able reflash original kernel that one said keep safe copy of?

14. Higgy

Higgy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    @Baggins - I was going to post that. Digital Foundary do really interesting stuff, and have a lot of technical info.

Question - With NES Mini as I understand additional (NES) games added via Hakchi2 ran via Retroarch and not the emulator Nintendo built. Will this be the same for the SNES Mini, or is this Header/Footer stuff to get new additional games to run via the native Nintendo emulator?

I guess the advantage (or disadvantage) to run the Nintendo emulator is better FX2 chip etc emulation and the use of Nintendo's CRT filter.

15. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some games probably have chips not emulated, and will require retroarch. A few of the original games might even be improved by running them in retroarch, depending on how accurate the emulation is on the NES Mini. There are some bugs introduce into some of the original games, like for example the Get Fuzzy level and background disappearing when you touch a fuzzy... However, the mini definitely as has an improved emulation of the FX2 chip.

Benefits that Retroarch can add is some improved/better CRT filters or other filters.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

it can't run on a PC architecture only ARM.

If you want something that resembles it running on PC, build your retroarch template shell.

16. byevoltor

byevoltor Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    [​IMG]

The next year for July will surely announce: " N64 Mini Classic ".:toot:

The doubt will be, if they will do the same as in the mini snes, suit the emulator to decently run the installed games that will be 10. (24mb x10 games = 240MB)

Since the motherboard will be the same, and will leave us with the same capacity 300MB.:cry:

Super Mario 64
    Donkey Kong 64
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Super Smash Bros
    Mario Kart 64
    Paper Mario
    Mario Tennis 64
    International Superstar Soccer 64
    1080th Snowboarding
    Wave Race 64

And all like crazy to buy the emulation box for 99 €.:grog:

I would buy them all. But the Nes mini will be the most economical of all, and not the most beautiful, but just as good as the others.

Good, cheap and not so pretty.

I hope they change plaque, but it will not .... It gives them good results ....:hrth:

Should Nintendo put a better processor and flash memory to the board, to make it work much better the N64? They will do it?:unsure:

17. bardaxx

bardaxx Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Yes, soon!

18. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

United States

I believe they'll haveot to both improve the emulator, and use new faster hardware (NES and SNES minis boht use the same hardware). Nintendo's VC currently can't do Castlevnania games (do to the save functions disabled), and that would be a 3rd party series to support really. Maybe even some Capcom Resident Evil. Of course it would be best if it had 4 player controller options.

The current boards pretty slow for N64 as far as know, based on video tests made with the original NES mini.

19. myspacee

myspacee Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hello,
    last version is : 2.17d
    but 'web installer', install on my PC ver.: 2.0.18.11

Anyone can try to install and connect his SNESmini ?

Thank you,
    m.

20. jelmer

jelmer GBAtemp Fan

Bulgaria
    Why? The hack hasn’t been released yet, it’s already confirmed the only way to hack it now is through FTP. If you want to do that, you can try that yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hakchi2, simple,