Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Any progress with running burned (wii) backups? What about an optical drive firmware replacement or chip replacement? Seems that a drive mod may be the only way to run backups without N banhammer.
I haven't actually tried this on a new Wii that has burned DVD-R disks blocked but one thing that I've seen suggested for other devices that are too OLD to recognize DVD-R disks is to use a DVD+R risk and set it's book type to DVD-ROM. There's still, of course, ways to tell the difference and the disk type isn't as reflective as DVD-R so sometimes it's a little more prone to read errors but it's worth a shot.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I haven't actually tried this on a new Wii that has burned DVD-R disks blocked but one thing that I've seen suggested for other devices that are too OLD to recognize DVD-R disks is to use a DVD+R risk and set it's book type to DVD-ROM. There's still, of course, ways to tell the difference and the disk type isn't as reflective as DVD-R so sometimes it's a little more prone to read errors but it's worth a shot.

That doesn't work on newer Wii's, I have tried that. Besides AFAIK it is exactly what the traditional modchips do and they don't work on newer Wii's either.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in a pretty decent situation. The WiiU refuses to recognize my HDD as it's not comatible to be converted for use on the WiiU, however, homebrew apps like mplayer still recognize it. lol
So, I don't get the notification on the WiiU, and I'm set on my vWii.

This is the ideal setup for me, 2 USB drives, one that the WiiU doesn't know exists that'll only work in vWii mode and one that's specifically for WiiU.

Reactions: Deleted-196549

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What does it need to not be recognized by WiiU?
only the device capacity? if it's 3Tb it won't be recognized?
Or are there other way to obfuscate it for WiiU but still has vWii seeing it?

Reactions: pelago

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This is the ideal setup for me, 2 USB drives, one that the WiiU doesn't know exists that'll only work in vWii mode and one that's specifically for WiiU.
Well, I know it can only recognize one drive formatted to Wii U format at a time. If you have two plugged in at once and one's formatted does it stop asking you?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
only one at a time? But I saw a Nintendo direct in japanese where they explained how to increase HDD capacity by connecting two HDD at the same time, and transferring everything to the second drive.
It's not usable at the same time, but it can mount them to do the transfer. though, both drives are probably mounted at the same time only in the transfer menu.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
well yeah , but in the instance your happy with 32 gigs of wiiu and just want to allow the wii a HDD then a simple solution would be to plug in some old crappy stick (as an example) to enable this facility.

PizzaPino

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
+2tb drives will later be recognized by the console through a firmware patch, so thats only a temporary solution (though im not sure if all will be recognized)

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
this and all the other posts they made are all intended to infer that some form of progress is being made in one direction or another , nothing more , with a touch of carrot dangling to whet your appetite ,, most people are ravenous

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
only one at a time? But I saw a Nintendo direct in japanese where they explained how to increase HDD capacity by connecting two HDD at the same time, and transferring everything to the second drive.
It's not usable at the same time, but it can mount them to do the transfer. though, both drives are probably mounted at the same time only in the transfer menu.
hmm, it seems to me it was something that was promised to be fixed in a later firmware update. Unfortunately, if the drives bigger than 2tb are being accepted with only 2tb usable as mentioned above (which was also a to-be-fixed feature) this one may very well have already been fixed in the latest couple of updates.

Bubbaf123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i just had a system prompt come up that wii system was corrupt after i exited hbc and was heading to the wii u menu. I only have hbc installed and after restarting the wii u and going back to vwii mode everything is fine. still made me nearly sh*t myself though:). i dont know if it is a ninty scare tactic or just a glitch

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i just had a system prompt come up that wii system was corrupt after i exited hbc and was heading to the wii u menu. I only have hbc installed and after restarting the wii u and going back to vwii mode everything is fine. still made me nearly sh*t myself though:). i dont know if it is a ninty scare tactic or just a glitch

this reminds me of the scare i had when i returned to the Wii Menu from HBC then the Wii U shutdown as soon as it got to the Wii Menu. It would turn on but sit and do nothing at all. it kept doing this every time i powered it on until i unplugged it for 10 minutes then plugged it back in. its been fine ever since. Both Wii U and WiiMode function. I am not sure if it was a scare tactic or a random bug either.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
mu6fj.png

fail0verflow@fail0verflow
"The Wii U is a system we can all enjoy together" - Reggie Fils-Aime

fail0verflow@fail0verflow
And just to make it clear, this is from a WiiU, not a PC
The thread is to show the progress of things like this right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.