Hacking the PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by vashinator, Jun 3, 2017.

1. vashinator
    OP

vashinator Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    Please forgive my newbieness, but I have a few questions about hacking the PS3. I am new to hacking video game consoles - I have a Wii which I hacked via softmod, and I also own an unhacked PS3, which I own a sizable amount of digital games which I paid for (downloaded from the PSN Store). As far as I understand, there is no softmod for the PS3, and I need to use a USB dongle in order to hack it. So my questions are:

Are there any downsides or risks to hacking the PS3? Is it possible that I may brick my PS3?
    Will I still be able to play the games which I purchased for money (from the PSN Store), in addition to game "backups" (ie downloaded from the internet)?
    Which dongle is the best one to use and any recommendations on where to get it?
    Once you hack your PS3, is it relatively hassle free? I mean, can you simply play any backed up games out there or do you have to download certain patches to play certain games, etc.

My System Software on my PS3 is currently 4.81

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    You won't be able to hack it with a USB dongle. It requires a hardware flasher that either needs soldering to the board or you can get clips but only for certain models.

Don't really know much about PSN bans, I would imagine you'd be risking it if you were playing online with it.

Backing up discs to the hard drive is easy with Multiman, no experience with playing downloaded games but I don't think it's a difficult process

3. queendude

queendude GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    Germany
    When i used my psn account i got banned in 3 weeks. Had 30 games. All lost.

Don't go online.

4. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    If your ps3 is the slim model that start with the following number cech-3.... or you have the "super slim" model that start with cech-4... then i don't think the flasher will help you. The only thing you can do is buy a chip called cobra ode and ask for someone to install it for you or install it yourself.

5. vashinator
    OP

vashinator Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    Can you please explain what you mean by clips? Sorry for being a noob. I have no idea what clips are.

6. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Well what is the model number of your PS3?

7. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Whats your PS3 model, please post the serial number to see if its flasheable.
    ALSO..what firmware are you currently on?

8. vashinator
    OP

vashinator Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    So if you even connect online with your PSN account after jailbreaking your PS3, Sony can somehow remotely blocking you from even being able to play the games that you already downloaded to your harddrive from the PSN store?

9. queendude

queendude GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    Germany
    If you downloaded them before you got banned, you can still play them. If you get banned then you can't download them anymore.
    As mentioned NEVER use your main account on Cfw, really risky, dude.
    I spent 200$ on that account

10. vashinator
    OP

vashinator Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    Sorry again for noobishness....how do I look at the model number of my PS3? (it is a slim PS3)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Aha...okay thanks for the clarification. Sorry for being a noob...what is Cfw?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The firmware is 4.81. How do I check the serial number?

11. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    On the back of the PS3 theres a bar code, with numbers and letter starting with CECH-XXXXXXXX

12. vashinator
    OP

vashinator Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    It's CECH-4201B. It's a PS3 Slim

13. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Its not a ps3 slim, its a super slim, cant be hacked, flashed or modded.