Country
Netherlands

ipkryss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The first link is not up-to-date. A lot of things have happened the past few weeks. If you only want homebrew launcher, get the latest Hekate payload and the latest SD files.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The first link is not up-to-date. A lot of things have happened the past few weeks. If you only want homebrew launcher, get the latest Hekate payload and the latest SD files.

Ah I see.
So please tell me in clearcut language because I can't afford to make mistake in buying switch.

Will buying a version 4.xx/5.xx Switch in store today limit my functions when it comes to Homebrew/CFW and backup loading?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMHO, switch hack guide is pretty irrelevant, not up to date at all. If you're buying a switch today, try to get an unpatched unit. Check out the thread about serial numbers first.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sx os xecuter all firmwares and backup loader support.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah I see.
So please tell me in clearcut language because I can't afford to make mistake in buying switch.

Will buying a version 4.xx/5.xx Switch in store today limit my functions when it comes to Homebrew/CFW and backup loading?
its depends what u want baby.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IMHO, switch hack guide is pretty irrelevant, not up to date at all. If you're buying a switch today, try to get an unpatched unit. Check out the thread about serial numbers first.
Are you saying if you have an unpatched unit the firmware version it will have won't matter at all??

sx os xecuter all firmwares and backup loader support.

its depends what u want baby.
What do you mean? So there are differences and limitations with each firmware versions?
Tbh i just want good free cfw and homebrew/backup loading.

IHOP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want backups go with ReiNX, if you want homebrew go with ReiNX or Hekate. If you want both go with ReiNX. If you want LayeredFS go hekate. ReiNX is looking to be a pretty decent CFW. Right now the best OFW version to be on is arguably 5.1.0 due to everything being available.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying if you have an unpatched unit the firmware version it will have won't matter at all??

What do you mean? So there are differences and limitations with each firmware versions?
no

3.0.0 and lower are better,you can run either xecuter or atmosphere.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want backups go with ReiNX, if you want homebrew go with ReiNX or Hekate. If you want both go with ReiNX. If you want LayeredFS go hekate. ReiNX is looking to be a pretty decent CFW. Right now the best OFW version to be on is arguably 5.1.0 due to everything being available.
Oh really! So being on 5.1 is not a lost cause. this info i needed to know thnx!

someone on gbatemp said "someone says I wouldn't recommend Reinx since it is literally the same thing as hekate just with less features"
Also i watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=314&v=Xsa685yBqhA
But I don't understand the RCM thing and the cable thingy..

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on 5.1.0 from a 1.0 switch using the no fuse burn method and everything seems to run flawlessly so far.

I think your biggest issue is finding an older switch bundle that hasn't been ipatched.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK so above 3.0 can't run atmosphere.
Atmosphere and hekate go together or can be run seperate?
The only reason people want to stay on 3.0.0 or lower is for coldboothax and the gamecart firmware update in the 4.# firmware.
Other than that there really is no reason.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only reason people want to stay on 3.0.0 or lower is for coldboothax and the gamecart firmware update in the 4.# firmware.
Other than that there really is no reason.
Coldboothax is some kind of automated hax running or? and gamecart update is what exactly?
But good to know there are no real limitations other then that.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coldboothax is some kind of automated hax running or? and gamecart update is what exactly?
But good to know there are no real limitations other then that.
Coldboothax is for an untethered cfw boot, without having to send a payload. It's vaporware at the moment.
There is a firmware patch for the game cart slot, so if you want to downgrade in the future the cart slot won't work on lower firmwares.
I don't see this being a problem for anyone, we already have an exploit I don't think we will need to use a cart for anything.

IHOP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coldboothax is for an untethered cfw boot, without having to send a payload. It's vaporware at the moment.
There is a firmware patch for the game cart slot, so if you want to downgrade in the future the cart slot won't work on lower firmwares.
I don't see this being a problem for anyone, we already have an exploit I don't think we will need to use a cart for anything.
And is coldboothax patched on newer FWs? Or when a fuse burns etc.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And is coldboothax patched on newer FWs? Or when a fuse burns etc.
afaik, the rumors are that it's harder to do in higher firmwares or something so it would only work on 3.0 or lower, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it anyway. It would have been released by now if it was real.

Just get a switch that's not patched, update to 5.1.0, get an SX OS license, and enjoy HB and ROMS.

Reactions: IHOP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just...